Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 101 of 223 (3344 items) « First ... < Previous 99 100 101 102 103 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,343 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,645
Points 61,875
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 9:46 PM

Roxana:
Judy, on all of the rag quilts that I've made, I've done just what you suggested

Me too. I think binding would be awkward to do over those seams, I think it would be lumpy too from the bulk from those seams.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,344
Points 38,975
Mimi replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 9:53 PM

Ditto what Jacy and Roxana have said.  I've always sewed the border blocks in the seam allowance and then cut to the stitching and washed to quilt to "fluff' it out.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,655
Debra replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:00 PM

I just clipped mine too. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,121
Points 110,715

Thanks everyone for your help with binding the rag quilt. My granddaughter will be relieved not to have to attach binding. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:22 PM

Judy

I think the quilt is gorgeous and I love the appliques bear paw.  All of the rag quilts that I have seen have double stitching around the outside perimeter and then clipped.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,925
Angele replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:31 PM

Debra is your quilt made of jeans? It looks good.

today I finished the blocks. Tomorrow I will put the slashing and borders. Then  I have to get ready for next weekend as we are having a quilting weekend  my Tuesday quilting buddies and I.  Fun, fun, fun.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,379
Points 48,850
Ginny replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 6:53 AM

Judy, your granddaughters quilt is really cute- love the bear footprint.  I just hope the mom-to-be is having a boy.  LOL     Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990

Judy T-Bellingham:

Marsha-SM:
but it does not give yardages for the borders.

Marsha, I'm wondering if you mean the binding, since it doesn't give yardage for bindings. But you can make that work. Since I cut my bindings 2-1/4" wide I add a last border with a finished width of 1-3/4" and make it a weird color so it would stand alone and you'll have yardage for the binding. 

I haven't checked yardages on quilts on EQ 7, or probably even 5 or 6.  The first ancient version I used didn't give border yardages, so I just didn't even check in the newer versions.  Borders and bindings are so easy for me to figure yardages mentally, I don't bother with more than the picture of the quilt!!!  Sorry if I misled anyone.  I guess MQ 7 does more than I know.  I don't know why I upgraded - just had to be up-to-date with everyone else.  Haven't even had time to explore this version.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990

I hope to get quilting sometime today.  Will have more playtime with Gr-grandson from Germany again today.  A lot of the family who haven't met grandson's wife and family yet will be getting together at MIL's this afternoon for an early Thanksgiving-type dinner and meet the family.  It is fun to watch a tiny, pregnant southern girl trying to keep warm up North.  She was wearing a heavy winter sweater and heavy winter coat yesterday - it was in the low 30s.  She probably won't have enough jackets to keep warm today - - it is much, much colder.  Germany's weather hasn't changed her.  She is always complaining about the cold there - - we keep up with them and the baby by way of Facebook. They are having another boy in March.  Both boys will have dual citizenship because of being born on the Airbase in Germany.

Have to get limpy Rich his breakfast (also mine) now before our daughter (the Texan) pops in.  Have a good day, everyone.  I will go cuddle a 2yr old soon! then maybe get some quilting done.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,379
Points 48,850
Ginny replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 8:06 AM

Marsha, how lucky you are to have your family visiting from Germany and to have others to join in too.  Have all the fun you possibly can with that GGS.     So Rich is limoing around.  Is he using a walker yet?   Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 8:26 AM

Marsha-SM:
 I haven't checked yardages on quilts on EQ 7, or probably even 5 or 6.

my EQ5 does borders, but unfortunately it doesn't separate them from the rest.  Just states a large amount of yardage and that it is that much if the borders are all in one piece.  So I put the borders in a completely different fabric to see how much is for what.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,121
Points 110,715

Granddaughter, Syvana, finished the baby quilt. It's for a boy who is due this month. Mother didn't want cutsey, babish stuff. This is a flannel rag quilt. She added an appliqued bear paw on one block. I love it. Thanks for the help with the edges. Took your advice, she sewed a couple lines and snipped the edges.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,403
Points 45,195

Cute. He will love it when he gets gets older!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,379
Points 48,850
Ginny replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 4:22 PM

So very cute.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 5:39 PM

Judy

Syvana did a marvelous job on her quilt.  I love the bear claw and her colors are perfect for a baby boy.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 101 of 223 (3344 items) « First ... < Previous 99 100 101 102 103 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use