Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 68 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 691
Points 17,320
Brigit-Carol replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:53 AM | Locked

Thank you both for the butterfly pattern link.  I'll wait a couple of hours and call to see if I can order it.  All that came up when I looked on the "official" website was the book with several patterns. 

I guess I'm on a snowball kick, and think I'll make another one with light green snowballs.  It's nice not to have to mess with flying geese or hst right now.  I've also cut out three more table runners I'll piece and then sandwich and quilt this week.  I haven't done any FMQ for well over a month, so really need to begin practicing again.  It's strange how life keeps getting in the way of things I want to do!

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 9:29 AM | Locked

I ordered the pattern for Fly, Fly Away too.  I went to her website and purchased it and the purchase was through Amazon which made it easy for me.  I can't wait to receive it and start this for my granddaughter to be's quilt.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 691
Points 17,320
Brigit-Carol replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 12:16 PM | Locked

Karla:

I ordered the pattern for Fly, Fly Away too.  I went to her website and purchased it and the purchase was through Amazon which made it easy for me.  I can't wait to receive it and start this for my granddaughter to be's quilt.

Thea -- see what you have started?  Maybe we ought to start a group so we can support each other when Karla and I begin our quilts.  I know twisters are supposed to be easy, but they look so complicated!   I'm sure I'll need lots of handholding through the process!  :)  (this site really does need smilies!)

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 4:42 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol, we'll have to help each other through it...my twister templates are still in their wrappers somewhere...guess I better start looking for them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,840
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 4:57 PM | Locked

Karla:
my twister templates are still in their wrappers somewhere

Karla and Brigit-Carol. I have the twister ruler but, it's also still in it's wrapper. I do plan to try it out one of these days, months, years.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,146
Points 17,620
weezee56 replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 4:57 PM | Locked

Ramona -  your quilting looks great.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,069
Points 29,200
Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:43 PM | Locked

Gini, Patti, Weezee56 and Thea thank you so much for the kind remarks on my quilting.  Very much appreciated and gives me feedback on how I'm growing or not growing with my quilting.  Thea, as for standing at my machine...doing these quilts I thought my legs were going to fall off. It finally dawned on me that I could get out my quilting chair, raise and lower the table as needed and that helped my stamina substantially.  And when doing the stippling my right arm kept going to sleep :-).  But I learned while doing them and that's what counts. As I've said before, it seems with almost every quilt I learn something new.

Thanks again. Now I'm going to fly off and check out the Fly, Fly Away. Appreciate the website.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:48 PM | Locked

Karla:

Brigit-Carol, we'll have to help each other through it...my twister templates are still in their wrappers somewhere...guess I better start looking for them.

Karla and Brigit, I will be more then glad to help both of you with your twister quilts.  Specifically the Butterfly, you need the smaller of the 2 twister rulers - the one for the 5" squares as that is the size of the squares you are going to use.

For this quilt I recommend buying 5 pieces of fabric in the same color wave.  You need a very very light - a very very dark and 2 moderates - one towards the dark and one closer to the light... my background fabric was a medium light - I probably could have used a more in between fabric choice but it worked for me - you can see it up close but in the picture it fades with the two lighter fabrics in the border blocks on the top and bottom...

You do need 5 fabrics though and they do not need to look solid - or they can be solids.  It all works.

I recommend sewing the whole thing together via the grid and with the Butterfly - you do 2 wings - they are exact opposites of each other so I sewed them row by row - I put my blocks in piles and started from the outside in on one and the inside out on the other - this kept me straight...

When I started cutting and resewing - I did one wing at a time - it is too complicated to do it any other way... as you cut with the ruler - figure out if you want to do horizontal rows or vertical and cut a block all the way across or all the way down from the top... take the first one and lay it face down - place the next block face down on top of it.... then when you get the whole row done - put a pin in it with a little piece of paper labeling it row 1 - then do row 2 exactly the same - you will have 12 rows if you do it horizontally the way I did it... 

Then when you get all the rows cut and labeled - go someplace where you can lay them all out on a table or the floor to make sure you have them all in the right place - and then pick them up one row at a time and sew them together... I advise sewing one row at a time as you can easily get confused...

When you have all the rows sewn - again lay them out to make sure that there are no mistakes - I pressed the top row to the right and all subsequent odd #d rows to the right - all even rows I pressed the the left - I then sewed these row 1 to 2 and then added row 3 and then row 4 - I did not try to do rows 1 & 2 , 3 & 4, 5 & 6... I found it was much easier for me to do it one row at a time added...

then I did the 2nd wing in the same manner - cutting it out - laying them out - sewing them - laying them out - pressing them - sewing them together...

You then lay the two wings down and make sure that they are mirrors of each other - after that you add the center body pieces - and then you make some single twister blocks which you add to the top and bottom with solid pieces for one of the borders - I believe you add a single strip of background fabric to the top and bottom and then the twister blocks...

One thing that I corrected in the quilt size pattern - the outside pieces I found were cut wrong size - in the pattern it says to cut these 1 1/2 x 6 1/2" - that did not work they had to be the same size as the other filler pieces which is 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 - since I am trying to write this from memory and do not have my pattern in front of me that length might be  4x6 and not 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 - but they all need to be the same size...

I do not know if the outside piece is measure right for the wall hangings - you will have to look at that yourself if you make those sizes...

Please email me directly if you have any more questions - I believe both of you have my home email address and if need be email me and I'll give you my phone # - this quilt is not hard to make - it is just one that you do have to pay attention to what you are doing as you can easily make a mistake - but I will try and give you all my tips and tricks and I think you will both be quite successful!

I have made 6 twister quilts now and I use the small squares that you get to make smaller twisters... I first made my own template for the smallest but Primitive tools has come out with a template now for that... I use the smaller squares to make placemats and mug rugs... 

I am so excited that you are going to make this quilt - it is so so pretty and I am sure you will love yours - Karla your DD1 is going to be so excited when you give it to her.  

As I said, any questions - email me and then I'll give you my phone # and if you Skype I can do it with you via Skype... good luck!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:52 PM | Locked

One last tip - when you are cutting this quilt - you need to have it on a table that you can walk around - I was able to cut all 4 sides standing on one side but I had to twist my body around for that 4th cut so if you are able to put it on a table and walk around for that last cut it is easier... 

And the ruler has words on it - I don't know if it matters but I always made sure to put those words in the bottom right - I think it won't matter but I didn't take the chance... I also used my 45 mm rotary cutter - but the smaller mm might work better - I don't have one so used the 45 - I would not recommend the bigger one.

Be careful cutting as you are left with a small square in the middle that you can then use for another smaller twister 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:05 PM | Locked

Thea, thanks for the advice...I hope it is not too difficult as I tend to run out of patience easily.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:57 PM | Locked

Karla - it is not that difficult - you just have to pay attention to what you are doing - make sure all the pieces are picked up in the right direction - that is why I cut them row by row and label them - then set them all out just to make sure that I didn't twist one - you will see easily the right direction!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 9:46 PM | Locked

brigit carol.  snowballs are one of my favorite patterns.   your colors are great in it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 9:52 PM | Locked

i have been a busy girl today, not as busy as thea, though.      i spent the day making backs for quilts so i can get them off to the LAer.  i've decided some folks are getting quilts for christmas, so i can clear up some room to start new projects.  2 are ready to go, minus the final ironing,   2 have the fabric pulled and a plan, and 1 is laying on the floor teasing me with it's unfinished state, it's getting a plain muslin back for it's trouble.   i was hoping to get to them tomorrow,  but once again. my day is filling up with errands.  perhaps i can squeeze a couple of hours in the studio.   

sam was asking if i could use more room in my studio,   heck yeah,    the remaining office on our floor might be coming available.    it would be nice to have all the offices up there,  then i can fill the hall with quilts and not worry about them.   hmmm, maybe i'm not giving quilts for christmas this year if i need to fill hall walls.   the extra room i can make into a quliting library with all my books patterns and magazines. i can picture a big cushy chair in there, a computer that isn't slow as molasses, yep, i think it will work. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 10:05 PM | Locked

gini:
the extra room i can make into a quliting library with all my books patterns and magazines. i can picture a big cushy chair in there,

Be sure to post the hours so that we can come visit the library!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 11:43 PM | Locked

And a long arm Gini.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 68 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use