Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 64 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 62 63 64 65 66 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:10 PM | Locked

Thanks for the birdhouse link, Gini.  She does nice work.  I've added my email address to follow her blog.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 11:16 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Thanks for the birdhouse link, Gini.  She does nice work.  I've added my email address to follow her blog.

I did too. She had some nice designs, I need to try some new ones.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:11 AM | Locked

It has been a slow year for me in the quilt making or anything doing department... but after my surgery Aug 23 and when I was allowed to sit at my sewing machine again that changed - it feels so good too to be sewing and quilting... and I have been at it now almost non-stop.  I have a problem with sitting still right now so at my sewing machine I am... this is what I accomplished so far this month ... and it started just before I went to the retreat and since I have been home I haven't stopped...

First I started McKenna Ryan's Wind in the Whiskers... I couldn't sit at my machine yet but did do all the drawing, cutting, pressing, cutting, setting in place and did get one block completely satin stitched before retreat when Doc said I could sew again... this quilt, I hope to have done by Christmas...

The next quilt will be the 2nd picture - I am posting both pictures as I started these quilts last year and then all the problems set in and they just sat there... I hardly ever make 2 quilts alike but did these as I wanted one to stay at my home and the other is being sent to my son and DDIL...I can tell them apart as mine has black spider webs but when I was making the 2nd I thought to myself - self most spider webs are white - so made them white...teehee

China of course has to help - he doesn't understand why I am laying these on the bed and that he has to move ...The first picture - the lighter one is the one I just finished quilting and have the machine part of the binding done - I have to sew it down by hand and figure tomorrow while watching football and nascar will be the perfect time - maybe I will be able to sit long enough...

The next quilt is the first one I did at the retreat - I had cut out all the fabrics and made kits to take with me to retreat this year as I was having to get a ride from Liz and Gretchen and knew i wouldn't have much room for my things - I normally take almost a sewing room of stuff... so this year had kits made up and this is my Christmas quilt for this year - I got the backing material in the mail this past Wed I think and will sandwich and quilt this one next week(I hope)

I had cut all the fabrics out except for the holly leaves - had to do them and fuse them in place - plus had forgotten to go through my stash and get that red fabric for the first border so of course a trip to a local quilt shop to get that and it matched one of the reds in the blocks - now to quilt...

the next quilts I started at the retreat but had to bring them home to finish - it was easy to sew all the square together but when I started cutting them into the twister blocks I didn't have enough room to lay them all out and keep my rows correct - my mind was not working correctly - so when I came home I finished them up - first is Spidee - and it is completed except for the binding to be hand sewn down tomorrow - the backing for this quilt was from my Halloween stash box... I have to use the fabrics in there up so this quilt is sort of reversible...

front

back

the next quilt is a Butterfly - I started the wings at retreat - Butterflies have a special meaning for me... most of the fabrics in it have butterflies on them or are from a line of coordinating fabrics that came out last year that were peacocks and butterflies... I finished this one and have the backing and quiting design all figured out and will start on them this next week.

And there is more...teeheee

I started this quilt after the retreat in Branson - during the period when I was in so much pain I couldn't get out of my bed - but as usual I can't just sit or lay still so I did embroidered blocks by hand - i did all the Snowmen ladies blocks and then I did these as I picked this pattern up while shopping with Beth... I got it all together and quilted it last week... and again it has a backing from my Halloween stash box...

front

Back

And I have one more - although at the end of today I hope to have another top done - it is almost there...but i digress...

here is the last top I made this past week... you probably will recognize it if you get the connecting threads catalog - but earlier this summer they had these kits on sale - I bought the blue ones and kitted them up but this is fhe first one I put together - I have 2 more to go - they are in my kit drawer which I vow to empty by Christmas - but here it is...

I don't have a backing picked out for it yet but am thinking something will come to me - this was an easy quilt to make and would be a great one if you are going to teach quilting to someone - there is nothing very hard about it and you can teach the importance of pressing your rows as you go and how the 1/4" seam is important and there are only triangles on the outer border... it is sewn on point... a quick quilt too if you have to make a birthday or shower gift!

Hope you enjoyed my small quilt show.  I am so excited that I was able to do all this work as I had thought it was never going to happen again with my neck pain problems but the neuro stimulator has given me a life again.  Still have pain but no where near the levels it was 24/7.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:31 AM | Locked

Oh my goodness, Thea, all of this in a month??????  I am so glad your neuro stimulator has given you back your life.  No guessing what you'll get done between now and Christmas.  I love all of your quilts, fronts and backs.  You do such good work!  I think China thinks so as well.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,435
Brigit-Carol replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:41 AM | Locked

Gorgous work, everyone.  Thea, can you point me to a pattern for the butterfly twister?  I have a twister book and template but haven't used it yet.  I'd love to do something like that butterfly for myself out of all the butterfly fabrics I get in swaps.  I was just looking at the fabrics this morning, trying to figure out what I might do.  Thanks.  BTW, glad you are feeling better.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:59 AM | Locked

wow Thea, after those years of pain, it is so nice to see you doing what you love again, as much as you want. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:17 AM | Locked

Thea-

as one that has Rheumatoid Arthritis that is uncontrolled by ANY meds, infusions, injections etc. , I am SOOoooo happy for the success of your surgery!!! Yay for you....and W O W on your quilts! Go girl!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:20 AM | Locked

Brigit-Carol:

Gorgous work, everyone.  Thea, can you point me to a pattern for the butterfly twister?  I have a twister book and template but haven't used it yet.  I'd love to do something like that butterfly for myself out of all the butterfly fabrics I get in swaps.  I was just looking at the fabrics this morning, trying to figure out what I might do.  Thanks.  BTW, glad you are feeling better.

I, too, have the twister book and template but haven't done a thing with them.  That butterfly pattern would be so nice to try.  My DD1 is expecting a baby in December and the nursery is decorated in butterflies...wouldn't this be a great addition?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:27 AM | Locked

Thea, you go, girl!   I was looking forward to posting that I got the first block of our guild's BOM finished, but now it doesn't seem like much.  Enjoyed your quilt show!  

...back to working on my tomato soup...

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:29 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
...back to working on my tomato soup...

I've been looking for a good tomato soup recipe for the last of my tomatoes...or are you working on a quilt called "tomato soup".

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 11,580
Bev replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:20 AM | Locked

Thea, I can't believe how much you have done!   It is really good to see you so productive.

I am still working on one quilt that has embroidery blocks that I am ready to put the last border on so I can finish the embroidery for the border. I have 2 more quilts planned with embroidery blocks which is why I like your Halloween quilt with the embroidery blocks best of all.

Hope your health continues to improve.

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:39 AM | Locked

Thea

Beautiful quilts.  Love the butterfly.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 795
Points 12,825
Quiltless replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:49 AM | Locked

I "sort of" worked on a quilt today.  It is raining here in the Pacific Northwest; a perfect day to spend working in my sewing room.  It was so simple, but it was new to me and I learned something.  I cut out some fleece for a throw blanket -- learned to trim the edges and square it off.  Then I used a serger and a 4 thread overlock to stabilize the edges.  I learned to do corners and finish the stitch coming around a corner.  So, it was simple, but new to me.  Now back to my latest rag quilt.  (Someday I'm going to learn free motion quilting.   ; )     )

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 795
Points 12,825
Quiltless replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:50 AM | Locked

Thea!  Those are GREAT quilts!  LOVED THEM!

Q

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:56 AM | Locked

Brigit-Carol:

Thank you Brigit - it is a pattern called Fly Fly Away; I think you can get it at www.raggedyruthdesings.com  There is a correction I am not sure she knows about yet - the inside border with the small twisters it called for 1 1/2 x 6 1/2 and you actually need the same size as the inner rectangles of 4 1/2 x 6 1/2.  It was a fun top to make.

Page 64 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 62 63 64 65 66 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use