Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 57 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 55 56 57 58 59 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 178,613
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:12 AM | Locked

Ramona, your baby quilt is gorgeous!  Great work!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 11:37 AM | Locked

Karla, my Doctor is giving me one more chance to get my cholesterol down and told me to take 2 fish oils a day plus get more exercise. Since I just want to see if I could do it on my own I decided to join the a senior center and take up line dancing as an exercise. I also bought a zoo membership for a safe place to add some walks. I hope this does it for me because if not I see a pill in my future.  

I could live without the Pepsi but never would give up chocolate or red meat, cutting back would have to work for me. I have already cut back on the amount of pasta and bread.

I can't believe I am looking forward to my appt in Nov. and will be so disappointed if all this "exercise" doesn't  bring it down.   I have found that the less sweets you have the less you crave. 

from TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:04 PM | Locked

Bev, I'm a person who drinks at least 6 or 7 Diet Pepsi's a day...so I'm cutting down to 2 a day, and I'm adding green tea and several bottles of water to may daily intake.  I'm not keeping chocolate in the house, but I will not deprive myself completely, so once a week I'm allowing myself a small chocolate bar, preferably dark chocolate as it does have some benefits.  I will not take red meat out of my diet, but will try to limit it to just a couple of times a week and I will add fish and seafood, even though DH cannot stand the smell in the house.  I'll grill it outside until the weather gets bad and then he's just going to have to learn to deal with it.  I'm going to try to increase my exercise, but I haven't figured out a way to quilt and walk at the same time.  Maybe I'll join the water aerobics class down at the pool.  

It sure is hell getting old, but since I would like to get older rather than the alternative, I'll do my best to stick to a regimen that might improve my health.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,720
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:57 PM | Locked

Bev :
I could live without the Pepsi but never would give up chocolate or red meat, cutting back would have to work for me. I have already cut back on the amount of pasta and bread.

Probably not the place for this discussion but I'm going to jump in anyway. Exercise, diet, nothing helped lower my cholesterol. So I am on pills which helped but it's still not great. I added Chia seeds to my daily smoothies. At my three month checkup, my bad cholesterol had dropped 10 points and the good had come up 5 points. I didn't change anything else so perhaps that's what did it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,610
Points 52,075
Ginny replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:37 PM | Locked

I have found taking omega3 fish oil and slow releasing niacin tablets-1000 mg have done wonders for my high cholesterol and triglycerides, especially since I can't take the statins.    Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:52 PM | Locked

When Sam became diabetic, he cut carbs.  He has a high fat, high cholesterol, high red meat diet.  He as a three egg omelet every morning for breakfast.   Just cutting out carbs has made his cholesterol plummet.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:41 PM | Locked

OOPS, sorry guys I did not think about which thread I was on when adding my last comment. Thanks for all the responses though.  

Now, I did not work on a quilt today but tomorrow will be sewing my embroidery blocks and nine patch blocks together on Bluebird quilt pattern by Crab-apple Hill. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:38 PM | Locked

gini:
Just cutting out carbs has made his cholesterol plummet.

I keep trying to convince Randy of this.  He does half the cooking, and he likes pastas, potatoes, and breads.  I'm trying to convince him to at least drop it to just one carb per meal.

I also read recently that taking fiber supplements brings cholesterol down, too.  

Karla, did your doctor recommend the margerine that has plant stenals?  There are several brands.  I like Benocal.  They actually recommend that you eat at least 1 Tbl of this a day.

I can send you my favorite grilled salmon recipe if you like.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:38 PM | Locked

delete ~ duplicate

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 11:55 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

gini:
Just cutting out carbs has made his cholesterol plummet.

I keep trying to convince Randy of this.  He does half the cooking, and he likes pastas, potatoes, and breads.  I'm trying to convince him to at least drop it to just one carb per meal.

I also read recently that taking fiber supplements brings cholesterol down, too.  

Karla, did your doctor recommend the margerine that has plant stenals?  There are several brands.  I like Benocal.  They actually recommend that you eat at least 1 Tbl of this a day.

I can send you my favorite grilled salmon recipe if you like.

I'd love your grilled salmon recipe, since salmon is one of the things I'm supposed to add to my diet.

Sonny is a carb eater, too, though as a diabetic he shouldn't be...his plate is always piled high with carbs...for breakfast he will have both pancakes and toast or biscuits and gravy.  I can't convince him that as a diabetic that is a real no-no.  He doesn't care...I just keep his life insurance paid up.  I take fish oil tablets, but they are so large that I almost choke on them.  My sister recommended "red krill" tablets that her doctor has her take.  She says they are much smaller.  She also cannot take statin drugs.  I've tried both slow release niacin and the fiber supplements, but none have done any good.  When I use butter, I use the real stuff, but I only use butter when I have a baked potato, which is seldom nowadays.

Tonight after the football game everyone wanted to go for pizza, I was so proud of myself as I elected just to take a trip through the salad bar.  DGS1's team won, 31-14, and he actually got to play even though he missed practice and conditioning most of the week due to a pulled groin muscle.  He does weight lifting, TaeKwonDo and football so he has many opportunities to get hurt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 12:43 AM | Locked

nancy and karla,  we have been using dang, white broccoli,   uhhh, this getting old sucks.     cauliflower!  i got it in less than a minute.   we use cauliflower in place of pasta under spaghetti sauce and such.   we like it just as well as pasta. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 10:15 AM | Locked

I do not like cauliflower...I could maybe substitute broccoli, cuz' there are only a couple of green vegetables I like, broccoli and green beans.  I keep seeing recipes that substitute spaghetti squash instead of the pasta, but I haven't tried it.  I'm going to cut out, or severely cut down on carbs, but that doesn't mean I'll be adding all of those vegetables, except maybe tomatoes and cucumbers...since I have an abundance of them.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 18,320
Brigit-Carol replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 10:18 AM | Locked

I haven't been on this thread for a while and will read the last 5 - 6 pages later.  I've taken a bit of a break from quilts, although I have several UFOs, and am working on smaller projects for gifts.  I call these "doodahs".  I am particularly pleased with "Louis" the blowfish pincushion and have ordered ground walnut shells to make several more.  Louis is mine -- all mine!

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 10:26 AM | Locked

brigit carol, cute projects.   i love the fishy's lips

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 11:09 AM | Locked

Ramona - you baby quilt is stunning!! What a work of love.

Bright Carol - Really like your projects - especially the fish - it made me laugh!!

I have not worked on any quilts for several days as I have been under the weather with Sinusitis. Just really dragging and can not seem to shake the laziness. Been on the antibiotics for 5 days now and not sure if I feel better or not!! Not  a good way to start the weekend but am enjoying seeing what you all have done.

I still have 4 3" blocks to go on my Blue Sparklie Star Wall hanging - Then I can put it together and quilt it!!

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Page 57 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 55 56 57 58 59 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use