Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 50 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 48 49 50 51 52 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 506
Points 7,955
Joyce replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:47 PM | Locked

Hi everyone, I worked quite a bit quilting on my home machine on the queen size quilt I started in 1999.  I'm determined to get this thing finished.  I worked on free motion scribbling today.  ha   That is what it looks like but I'm getting some better as I go.  My son won't care he has wanted a quilt for so long.  I did all the patterns in stitch in the ditch first now I'm working on straight parts then later on to the larger boarders.  It is difficult trying to guide the quilt on the free motion with it being so large.  Any suggestions how to do it?

Joyce

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,641
Points 65,360
Bonita replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:15 PM | Locked

Patricia Faye, pretty    jean quilt. Very pretty wall hanging.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:40 PM | Locked

LOVE your log cabin houses, Carol!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:48 PM | Locked

Angele:
I agree too. HST and your blocks are on pointe. It does look beautiful. Did you make this one?

So it must be just the angle of the picture that makes the square block look like an angled parallelogram.  So I guess, then, that after sewing a million HSTs, I'd just start assembling them in rows, and then, as you said, turn the block on-point.  I was thinking of doing just half of each block to make it look like a large flying goose rather than a square block set on point.  No, I didn't make this.  It's a picture off Google that I'm thinking of sewing for my guild's "15 Shades of Gray" quilt challenge.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:52 PM | Locked

Nancy

I turned my head and looked at the block so it was straight instead of on point.  It is just a 36 patch made from HSTs.  It is a very pretty design and would be a great use of scraps.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 634
Points 12,415
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 11:12 PM | Locked

Thanks, everyone, for your compliments and comments on the houses quilt. Right now I'm thinking of putting "Welcome to the Neighborhood" all on one line. That way the text won't be the main focus. And I like Zoetc's suggestion of putting the house number on one of them. That will make it more personal for my neighbor.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,595
Jacy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 11:29 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
I was thinking of doing just half of each block to make it look like a large flying goose rather than a square block set on point.

Nancy, if you're going to do half the block you might look at patterns for basket blocks. that would look to me to be the bottom half of a basket block, turned upside down.

Look at this block

http://quilting.about.com/b/2012/04/09/sun-and-shadow-basket-quilt-block-pattern.htm

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 4:59 AM | Locked

Carol - your House quilt is beautiful. I love the idea of embroidering :Welcome Neighbor" on it. What a precious gift!

Patricia - love your Jean Quilt and wall hanging. Was you Wall hanging appliqued? Beautiful job on both.

I did work on my Star wall hanging yesterday - got only one 3" star done. Not productive and today will be a wash so to speak. Two other quilters (both of whom I actually met online in other forums) and I are off to visit a few shops today. I need nothing but the company and lunch will be fun.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:04 AM | Locked

Thanks, Nana and Jacy.  Yep, a basket block bottom upside down is what it will be!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 16,125
Patricia Faye replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

eparys:

Patricia - love your Jean Quilt and wall hanging. Was you Wall hanging appliqued? Beautiful job on both.

Thank you eparys.  It's called Garden Path from England Design Studios & is "paper piecing, an original technique using freezer paper."  I would not do this method again.  I love paper piecing but this was much more challenging with its teeny tiny pieces.  It took me forever to complete.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:24 AM | Locked

Patricia, great jeans quilt, and I love landscapes.  Was this your own design? 

Carol, that is such a beautiful welcome quilt.  All those little log cabin blocks.  The new neighbor is going to be speechless.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:00 AM | Locked

Beautiful quilts Carol and Patricia, nice work.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 2:30 PM | Locked

Joyce:

It is difficult trying to guide the quilt on the free motion with it being so large.  Any suggestions how to do it?

Joyce

I move to a larger table when I'm FMQ'ing and I try to keep as much of the weight on the table as possible.  This requires a lot of picking up the quilt and shifting it, but it's easier on my arms.  

I also just take lots of breaks when my arms get tired.  

My favorite tool for helping with this is the gloves with the little knubs on them.  They help a lot with guiding the fabric.  Something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Fons-Porter-Machine-Quilting-Gloves/dp/B000J3TWSY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379013901&sr=8-2&keywords=quilting+glove  They sell them at the JoAnn near where I live and I got a special pair at my LQS that I paid 3 times as much for that are probably close to identical!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,297
Points 414,004
gini replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 3:21 PM | Locked

This will be beautiful in greys, nancy.  They're HSTs.   QSTs  would have the sides on the bias.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,297
Points 414,004
gini replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 3:22 PM | Locked

Carol, what a thoughtful gift.   I like the idea of the welcome in the sashes.

gini in north idaho

Page 50 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 48 49 50 51 52 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use