Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 28 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:17 PM | Locked

Karla:

Yes, I was working with a gentleman up in Bremerton, WA (he's deceased now) to transcribe some of the church records for various German villages in Russia, when we discovered that my great great grandmother was a sister to his great great grandmother.  

As far as the work I was doing, he would translate the information from German to English on tapes, and I would transcribe the tapes into spreadsheets.  I found a lot of my family that way.  It did help me, though, that my grandmother lived to be over 100 and is really the one who got me started with my search.

Karla, you were very lucky indeed both to have your Grandmother live to help you with your research and to have the gentleman in Bremerton to help you with translations.  

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,855
Agnes replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:20 PM | Locked

Karla:
My grandparents were all Germans from Russia.

I'm also very familiar with kuchen. Not only did my grandparents, but also my parents, immigrate from Russia, all of German descent, and specifically Mennonite in religious beliefs..I've done a bit of dabbling in genealogy but the interest has left me.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:41 PM | Locked

Mine were all Lutheran as far as I can tell, as it is Lutheran church records that I've found everyone in, at least on my father's side of the family.  I've found some of my mother's side in the Lutheran records also, although my grandparents and my mother were Congregationals when in North Dakota.

I have some distant cousins in Alberta, I believe, and some in Manitoba, too, and even a couple in Argentina that were not allowed in the U.S. because of sickness so they just stayed on the ship and got off when it got to Argentina.  I understand there are a lot of Germans from Russia there, too.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 9:18 PM | Locked

Marie, does this help?  http://www.fromthebluechair.com/2011/01/diamonds-cheater-way.html

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,347
Points 174,563
Marie replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 9:51 PM | Locked

Debbie-Do, thank you so much for this info, it looks doable with that method.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 9:59 PM | Locked

Glad I could help , Marie.  :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,194
Points 15,975
Susan replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:06 AM | Locked

Debbie do, That is a great tutorial! Thanks for posting it!                   Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 345
contra85 replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 5:35 AM | Locked

I quilt because I enjoy it. I feel good about a beautiful finished product. I will never be a great quilter, but I am having fun. Isn't that what its all about? I work on something every day. Sometimes for me, often for family and friends. Have fun with this !! You ( and I) put our heart and souls into our quilts ! Enjoy what you do !

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 11:27 AM | Locked

contra85:

I quilt because I enjoy it. I feel good about a beautiful finished product. I will never be a great quilter, but I am having fun. Isn't that what its all about? I work on something every day. Sometimes for me, often for family and friends. Have fun with this !! You ( and I) put our heart and souls into our quilts ! Enjoy what you do !

This is exactly how I feel about quilting.   I am having fun, and it feeds something in my soul.  I don't think I've welcomed you to the group, contra.   Hello and welcome.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,347
Points 174,563
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 2:45 PM | Locked

Contra85, welcome!  That's how we all should feel.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,705
Points 38,170
ls2116 replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:27 PM | Locked

I've traced my design on tear away, and i'm getting ready to quilt my sandwich.  I wondered though if there was an easier way has any company made tear away sheets for ink jet printers?  Because after tracing with my mark b gone on the tear away I thought what a waste of marker when its just gonna be torn away maybe i could've used a regular pen.  What do you say on that?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:49 PM | Locked

ls2116:

I've traced my design on tear away, and i'm getting ready to quilt my sandwich.  I wondered though if there was an easier way has any company made tear away sheets for ink jet printers?  Because after tracing with my mark b gone on the tear away I thought what a waste of marker when its just gonna be torn away maybe i could've used a regular pen.  What do you say on that?

I use my printer and print on paper piecing paper.  I is really easy to tear away after quilting

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,160
didash replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 10:04 PM | Locked

As much as I would have liked to quilt today, I had to bury my father...then my DH (such a gem!), took me to the boardwalk to "get away from it all" for the evening...we've had the week from Hell since finding Dad on Monday morning (we think he actually passed on the 6th).  My mother passed away 3 months ago, so this has been one heck of a summer :(   Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to the QIPs (quilts in progress) tomorrow night...I NEED a quilting fix! LOL!!

• | Post Points: 170
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,517
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 10:13 PM | Locked

Diane, I am so sorry to hear of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding your Dad's passing.  It is hard to lose both parents so closely.  It was great of your husband to take you away for the evening.  my prayers go out to you.  Hopefully you can get back to the quilting quickly.    Ginny

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 10:15 PM | Locked

Didash,

I am so sorry. I don't know what to say. 3 Years ago my brother was found in a hotel where he died 5 days prior.   I am sorry that you have had to deal with such loses this summer- or any time.   ((hugs))

Page 28 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use