Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 27 of 216 (3228 items) « First ... < Previous 25 26 27 28 29 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,227 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:59 AM

After designing some beautiful quilts on eq7 decided just to do a block with sashing quilt with all the time involved on the others.  The top is just about done and the sashing fabric i used is almost blinding its a bright multi wild print.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,110
Points 110,300

Sukochi:
Have a question. Might cause a firestorm, but just don't understand. When you put a quilt out there for public display, why is it wrong to duplicate that design yourself? Haven't we all seen quilts and then did one ourselves and not bought a pattern or requested permission from the owner

Sukochi, you bring up some really interesting points. Well said. I'm afraid this is a sticky wicket and I don't have an answer. Yes, I walk through a quilt show, take pictures for future ideas. If I like the quilting pattern I'll take a picture for reference. If it's a really cool layout I'll take a picture which may jump start an idea for a quilt.

I don't see any way of preventing people from using our designs. We post them in public places such as here on QCA. Take a look at your gallery and see how many of the quilts you've posted have been downloaded by others. 

I think those who are in the business of selling patterns have good reason to be upset when people copy and pass along their patterns. It's pretty hard to control. I had the same problem when I was doing decorative painting and had original designs for sale at arts and craft shows. I would actually step in front of people who were trying to photo my pieces.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:12 AM

I don't know about others here but for me even when I'm really trying to copy a pattern to the T , something always happens that makes it my own.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:15 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I would actually step in front of people who were trying to photo my pieces.

I would have loved to have seen that...LOL!  

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:27 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Sukochi:
Have a question. Might cause a firestorm, but just don't understand. When you put a quilt out there for public display, why is it wrong to duplicate that design yourself? Haven't we all seen quilts and then did one ourselves and not bought a pattern or requested permission from the owner

Sukochi, you bring up some really interesting points. Well said. I'm afraid this is a sticky wicket and I don't have an answer.

Sukochi, seriously though,  I agree completely with Judy.  I take pictures of quilts (and other things) all the time for ideas and inspiration.  

However, I do make a conscience effort to change more than just the fabric when I use another quilt as a starting point.  For example, I may change the types, direction, or location of trees/flowers in a landscape quilt.  If flowers are fused, I may use yo-yo's or hexies, or visa-versa.  But usually, it is even more casual than that...once I have the background determined.   If you give it time, (and I know this sounds silly) the quilt will "speak" to you...you just need to play around with the pieces and see what works.

So all that to say, I may start with a person's quilt for inspiration but (hopefully) they would never recognize it as theirs by the time I am finished.  

You are being very creative with your postcard quilts!  This is just 'stepping it up a notch' to start with a quilt pattern and then become creative to make it your own.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,934
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 12:16 PM

sukochi, it is ok to copy the design if the quilt is for personal use, but not if you want to sell it. 

i take pictures of quilts at shows. i like to get ideas for color combos and specific techniques, but i never copy someone's quilt without permission and buying the pattern if necessary, even for my own use.   patterns, however,  that are in the public domain, that a quilter repackages and tries to sell.   i don't worry about copying those.  for instance sylvia's bridal quilt.  i believe,  those are all patterns that have been around.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,720
Agnes replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 12:49 PM

gini:
i take pictures of quilts at shows. i like to get ideas for color combos and specific techniques,

I do the same. Even if I would try to copy I have never managed it because I see new twists or changes and the end result doesn't resemble the inspiration.

I don't know how many times I have shown a quilt on forums and the question of where they can get the pattern is asked. I have quilted for over 20 years. My answer is generally, "in my head." I have no desire to write and publish so I am honored if someone wants to copy my design. I believe I have actually made three quilts start to finish following a pattern from a magazine or book and never one in the same color way. I have no clue how many I started with a quilt for inspiration or even an actual pattern and the end product was unrecognizable from the pattern. For that reason I no longer purchase patterns or books. Lately I have made the exception by purchasing a few quilt patterns that have redwork embroidery incorporated in a quilt. I am working on "Over the River" but won't be starting the pieced blocks until nearer to the finish of the embroidery. So far all I know is that I want to make changes to the blocks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 12:55 PM

I honestly don't see how a finished product can be copywrited.   Now patterns are a different story.   But when it comes right down to it I would estimate the 99% of the patterns are made from blocks that are considered public domain.   So in essence all they can actually copywrite is they way the put their quilt together.   I think most of us have taken pics of quilts to use as inspiration.   I know if someone wants to use my quilts for inspiration they are more than welcome to do so.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,720
Agnes replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 12:59 PM

Nana:
I honestly don't see how a finished product can be copywrited.   Now patterns are a different story.   But when it comes right down to it I would estimate the 99% of the patterns are made from blocks that are considered public domain.   So in essence all they can actually copywrite is they way the put their quilt together.   I think most of us have taken pics of quilts to use as inspiration.   I know if someone wants to use my quilts for inspiration they are more than welcome to do so.

I totally agree.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,365

I really like them...they are so cute! I hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea, of course I don't have your pattern but I can do a nine patch on point and do a sashing but I promise not to use your colors and prints....they are pretty without being fussy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,365

Hi Karla, I am Patricia, fun post...I to get far busier than I like which takes me away from quilting but I did notice you make kuchen....my late mother was german as were her both her parents and kuchen was a staple desert at out house...brings back wonderful memories. Thank you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:19 PM

Patricia :

Hi Karla, I am Patricia, fun post...I to get far busier than I like which takes me away from quilting but I did notice you make kuchen....my late mother was german as were her both her parents and kuchen was a staple desert at out house...brings back wonderful memories. Thank you.

Yes, kuchen is something I have grown up with as both of my parents are German.  My grandparents were all Germans from Russia.  I also do genealogy and have traced parts of my German ancestry back to the 1500's in Germany.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:31 PM

Karla:
I also do genealogy and have traced parts of my German ancestry back to the 1500's in Germany.  

Karla, you are very lucky to be able to do this.  So many of the German church records were destroyed during WWII bombings.  

I have a grandfather who was from a town in Austria named "Reichenberg"  (think 'Third Reich').  The town no longer exists by that name...we think the name was changed. Years ago, I did find it on an old Austrian map (pre WWII). When we were in Austria no one we asked had even heard of it.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:59 PM

Yes, I was working with a gentleman up in Bremerton, WA (he's deceased now) to transcribe some of the church records for various German villages in Russia, when we discovered that my great great grandmother was a sister to his great great grandmother.  

As far as the work I was doing, he would translate the information from German to English on tapes, and I would transcribe the tapes into spreadsheets.  I found a lot of my family that way.  It did help me, though, that my grandmother lived to be over 100 and is really the one who got me started with my search.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:03 PM

I have pieced my center block for RR4 today, and now am going to start on the borders for Marge's quilt.  But I also picked a bucket load of tomatoes and cucumbers that I'm going to have to do something with before the day is out.  Before I do that, however, I'm going to have to make a trip to WalMart and pick up some more jars.  Is the work never done?

Page 27 of 216 (3228 items) « First ... < Previous 25 26 27 28 29 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use