Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 22 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:56 AM | Locked

Today I start work on that wedding quilt.  I have 32 diamond blocks to make.  I need to have at least all of those done before retreat.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:55 AM | Locked

Karla:
I got up at 5 am and worked until 8am (bus stop time for DGS2 and 3, then was able to work a little between then and time to pick them up from school bus.

Karla, the kids are back in school in Nevada?  It's state law in Minnesota that schools cannot begin until the day after Labor Day - something to do with resorts needing the labor and needing families to visit, and the state fair going on.  How's that for priorities?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:57 AM | Locked

Today I go to water, water, water many gardens at home and in town, and pick beans, and maybe sneak in a quick trip to Joann's to get some fusible fleece for church bazaar items I'm making (& retreat gifties).  Quilting?  No time.

They are predicting we will break a heat record today.  Yuck!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 1,420
Patricia replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:05 AM | Locked

Hi Patti,

I am working today, taking a tea break for 20 minutes, but I did quilt yeasterday...I was off work and I got up took my dog to the vet and then started working on the two projects I have going at this time...I especially wanted to tell you about the diamond's I am doing so we can claim to be the "diamond girls" for a time - I am doing a paper piecing "Grandmother's Diamonds" -  the hexagon pattern so popular for Grandmother's Garden but someone named this one Diamonds. I am enjoying it very much and I am doing it in '30 reproduction prints - it is fun! My other project is a QOV - strips - I like it a lot too.

Thanks for writing,

Patricia

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 1,420
Patricia replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:06 AM | Locked

I wish I could make myself get up at 5 a.m. to quilt I guess I am just a lazy slug!

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:08 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
Karla, the kids are back in school in Nevada?  It's state law in Minnesota that schools cannot begin until the day after Labor Day - something to do with resorts needing the labor and needing families to visit, and the state fair going on.  How's that for priorities?

Sounds a lot like here, school always starts the day after Labor day, tourism (and all the high schoolers that work in those summer jobs) come first. High school sports starts early though, I think they started last Saturday. If you have a kid in Sports it's a pain, you have to drive them back and forth for practice every day for a couple of weeks before school starts.  30 min round trip for me, and there's no busses until school starts. Luckily my kids are not doing fall sports this year.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:56 AM | Locked

It's also law in Manitoba that school isn't  in till after labor day. Back in the 1960's when I was teaching we had to have 200 school days, 198 of those were classroom instructions., two for teacher's enrichment. Over the years with erosion the norm is now about 180 days. That means that with ten months of school, the equivalent of one whole month is "holiday" time for the students.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 12:06 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Karla:
I got up at 5 am and worked until 8am (bus stop time for DGS2 and 3, then was able to work a little between then and time to pick them up from school bus.

Yes, school started on the 19th...football practice for DGS1 started a couple of weeks ago...they used to start later, but this year they were out of school by Memorial Day.  They have 11 weeks off in the summer, so school started on the 19th.  They were all ready to go back, I think, as there is not much to do here in Fernley during the summer.  When I was young and in Sacramento we always started after Labor Day because of the State Fair, however they now have the fair in July and there school year has changed also.   School ends in May and starts again at the middle to end of August.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,351
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 2:04 PM | Locked

Well Nancy, Mimi and Susan this will be my last fall start up for school. Like you I love the students, working with each one is great, but I could very well do without all the politics and lack of support for the staff. Here in Ontario, the kids are tested in gr 3,6, and 9 to see if they and the school meet the provincial standards. They have to be successful on that test in English in order to have their high school diploma. They also need to do 40 hours of volunteer work between grade 9 and 12 to graduate. 

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,351
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 2:07 PM | Locked

I think we are one of the only districts in Ontario that start next Monday. Kids come on Tuesday.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 2:15 PM | Locked

Not a quilt, but a quilted project...  Here, I copied Agnes's project that she posted in the Christmas forum a while back.  She had made an adorable ice pack holder for her shoulder.  Here is my version for DH's various injuries...

The thing on the left is a heat pack - filled with rice.  You microwave it and it gets warm.  It goes inside the pouch on the right, which then zips closed and ties on to teh injured area with long cloth straps.  When he's not heating, he's usually icing.  Ice packs or plain ziplocks full of ice can replace the heat pack and get zippered up inside when he needs to ice.  

Thanks for the great idea, Agnes!  DH loves it and has used it daily for the past few days since I gave it to him.  He's already asked if I can make a 2nd for him to take to the office.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 2:18 PM | Locked

Oh, and I kept the pouch thin per Agnes's recommendation - too much batting and the cold from the ice won't get through.  The fabric is thin, yarn-dyed and there is a VERY thin layer of interfacing quilted between inner and outer layers of the pouch.  Quilting just follows the straight lines on the print.  Not too much bulk and a very soft, flexible end product.

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,424
Points 40,385
Mimi replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:07 PM | Locked

Okay for some reason my emails from QCA are not coming in.  I don't know what happened but I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with the posts here.  It would be great to have a lot of you come to PA for a retreat.  I just have to find some places that don't cost too much and can handle about 20 - 25 people.  I'll start asking around.  Won't be any time soon.  But hopefully sooner than I think.  :c)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:10 PM | Locked

Angele:
Well Nancy, Mimi and Susan this will be my last fall start up for school.

Woohoo!  Can you come play after you retire?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,424
Points 40,385
Mimi replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:13 PM | Locked

Oh you are soooooooooo lucky Angele.  I wish you a speedy last year.  Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel yet????

• | Post Points: 35
Page 22 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use