Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 21 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:00 PM | Locked

Mimi:
We don't start school here until after Labor Day but teachers start the week before.  The kids come for 180 days.  Our contract is 195 days. Lots of people think we get paid for the entire year...not true...just the days we work.  I'll try and go in a couple hours each day this week to set everything else up. I'm looking forward to the kids too but the politics is something I can't wait to eliminate.  Only a couple more years....darned mortgage. 

Sending happy thoughts to the back to school crowd - Mimi, Susan, Angele, Wendy, & anyone else I missed.  I go through mixed feelings this time of year.  It was always exciting to start preparations for the new year, but I agree the politics and the d@#! testing took a lot of joy out of it in the last years.  I do like being in control of my own daily schedules now - any obligations I have I have put on myself - no one dictated them to me.  Mimi, I've always figured mortgages were for life, and we're still paying on one even though we're both retired.  We saved for it, and we're doing okay.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:18 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
 Mimi, I've always figured mortgages were for life

Thanks for the advice Nancy but this lady is going out with no debt.  We're in the home stretch...about 18 months to go and we'll be FREE.  In about a year we could roll it into the HELOC and pay as we wanted.  Of course there is always the taxes and insurance and the upkeep but it will be over soon and then I'll be able to come to the west coast and/or Branson retreats in the middle of the school year.  Or host one here near Lancaster among the Amish of PA.....hmmmm....sounds like a great idea.  Just need the time to get it organized.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,388
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 6:16 AM | Locked

This weekend I had Sheila and Ginny over. So I will say that I attempt to work on a quilt(s). I started my Navajo quilt and as I was only making 3 blocks of each design, I couldn't come up with a good layout. So I'm going to have to make more blocks.

I switched to making the blocks for the Arizona Centennial Quilt. Of course, the first one I started was the last one I finished for the Navajo quilt. However the instructions were very different and it wasn't going together at all. To make matters worse, I cut some of the pieces incorrectly and I don't have any more of that fabric. So back to square one with that one.

Yesterday I managed to get a few more blocks made on the Centennial Quilt and hopefully this afternoon I can finish those blocks and start laying them out. Wish me luck.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 8:49 AM | Locked

Mimi:
..... Have fun browsing at OCS.  Their web site is www.oldcountrystorefabrics.com    I love their prices, fabrics and customer service.  And when I can I go to the store I try to go alone. LOL  Glad this year's contract gives a good raise. It will fund my fabric addiction.  ... .

Well - I have NEVER been to that site and now wish that I had not seen it - lol!! What great prices and selections. This may be my new "go to" site. Thank you for the link.

I am smiling also reading all the "back to school" comments. I too taught (High School Math and AP Comp Sci) and I am now retired. Although I miss the students greatly I do not miss the politics and state testing. In VA, where I taught,  they call their state test the SOL - which really stood for Standards of Learning but we always felt differently!! Have a good start of the school year to all of you returning to the classroom.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 9:28 AM | Locked

eparys:
This may be my new "go to" site. Thank you for the link.

You're welcome.  Love to get someone else hooked on my go to site.  The service is really, really fast.  One time I ordered early in the morning one day and had the fabric by the next day.  Now I live about two hours drive from the physical store but I've never had that kind of turn around.

The store itself is phenomenal.  They have a quilt museum upstairs. Jo Morton quilts were there one year. They have quilts for sale that have been hand made by Amish with really tiny hand stitches.  There are handmade soaps, dolls and toys, pillows, ornaments, candies and canned foods, wooden utensils, red ware plates and bowls, books about Amish life and recipes, etc. Then there's the fabric rooms.  If I take DH he gets bored and goes to the car for a nap.  That's why I say I go by myself.  I can spend more time and get into more trouble that way. Enjoy your new site!!

My daughter taught in VA.  She talked a lot about the SOL's.  In PA we have the PSSA's.  State mandated in 3 - 8th grade.  Something new for us is the Keystone Exams.  Now h.s. students have to pass them in order to graduate with a diploma.  With all the testing it doesn't leave a lot of time for teaching anymore.  : (  So I'm looking forward to happier times for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,456
Points 416,679
gini replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:08 PM | Locked

Mimi, I would love to go to a retreat in you neck of the woods.  I hope you seriously consider planning one.  I also look,forward to seeing you at retreats in the future.   18 months and counting.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,798
Points 67,525
Bonita replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:47 PM | Locked

Thanks Mimi, for the site. I found some fabric I've been looking for at a nice price. Now I can finish a quilt I started in Branson.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,218
Points 16,380
Susan replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 6:49 PM | Locked

Mimi:
  Or host one here near Lancaster among the Amish of PA.....hmmmm....sounds like a great idea.  Just need the time to get it organized.

Mimi, Sounds like a great idea to me, too. Hopefully in the warm weather, unlike you. I still have several years until retirement from the school system. I will go whenever you have it. I so wish I could say only 18 months .   Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 8:20 PM | Locked

Mimi

I just had the opportunity to check out "your" site.  It is really awesome.   I will definitely have to add it to my favs.  Thanks for recommending.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 606
Points 9,655
Joyce replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 8:39 PM | Locked
esprys & Mimi, I really went nuts in the Old Country Store in Lancaster. Their prices are good. I hope to go back before winter to get more. I need more now. ha Joyce
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 10:49 PM | Locked

Hmmm... lots of good ideas here.  Ideally I'd like the wall to be 7' x 7' with one hinge.  It will need to hang somehow from the curtain rod or stand on the floor because it's going to cover my front door so I'll need to be able to move it in an emergency.  I went to Lowes but haven't been to Home Depot yet to try to find it.  Just to keep it interesting... If I DO find the board I have in mind, then I have to find someone willing to drive to San Antonio in a truck to pick it up for me!!  HA!  Mimi, how thick is that presentation board that you mentioned?   Roxana, your idea was thought provoking... I could put the joint horizontal and clip the boards to the curtain rods or strips of wood...hmmm...

You've all given me new ideas to play with.  Thank you SO much!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:55 PM | Locked

I did get all the blocks for Marge's quilt together today.  It only happened because I got up at 5 am and worked until 8am (bus stop time for DGS2 and 3, then was able to work a little between then and time to pick them up from school bus.  Fed them dinner and it was off to TaeKwonDo for these two and time to pick up DGS1 from football practice and get him to TaeKwonDo for his black belt class.  Dropped him off and picked up the other 2 and took them home.  Their Mom wasn't home from work yet, so had to wait around 1/2 hour for her to get home.  And I can repeat this whole scenario 4 times a week for at least the next 2 months.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 12:19 AM | Locked

I did get my tote bag finished.   I will try to get a pic and post tomorrow.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:45 AM | Locked

Debbie, Thea has a portable wall that stands alone and sounds large. Check with her.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 7:47 AM | Locked

Mimi, after I read your post and visited the Country Store site, I was so envious of you actually getting to GO there. How would it be. DH and I talked of our dream of visiting Amish Country. If you still have 18 months to go, maybe I can start saving towards a retreat there.

Sukochi

Page 21 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use