Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 20 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,422
Points 40,360
Mimi replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:11 PM | Locked

Susan you are such a sweetie.  How is DH doing?  I guess I'm just a patient person.  Have to be with the time it takes my DH to have a conversation.  I saw those Jo Morton's on Craftsy.  I usually buy my repro's from Old Country Store.  They usually have the best prices and since they're in PA the fabrics arrive quickly.  They just got a new shipment of Savanna by Jo.  Lovely collection.  Would be nice for this new sampler block quilt from Jennifer Chiaverini.  I have another great book on Civil War mini's called The Blue and the Grey by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene.  I'm going to use up all the extra Jo Morton fabrics with some of the quilts from their book.  Have a great weekend.  HUGS.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,018
Points 15,540
weezee56 replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:25 PM | Locked

Flojo, Good luck on your quilt easing.

Thank you Susan.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 9:39 PM | Locked

Well, getting the blocks into rows went fairly well.  Did have to make another block to replace one of the purple, gold(?) ones but had plenty of scraps for that.  The true test will come tomorrow afternoon or Monday when I start joining the rows.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 11:04 PM | Locked

I didn't work on a quilt today but I've been thinking of a design wall and would like anyone and everyone's input.  Right now I'm using the back of a vinyl tablecloth hung from a curtain rod over my front door (that I never use).  It's not big enough and it doesn't lay flat against the door and wall because of the door jam and the raised panels on the door.  I would like something more solid but portable and was thinking about buying  a couple 4' x 8' sheets of 1"+ thick rigid foam insulation, using duct tape to make a "hinge" on the front then using spray adhesive to attach flannel to the front and making some tab loops to hang it from the curtain rod.  Problem is, the rigid foam insulation at the thickness I need is hard to come by (ie impossible)  BUT the light bulb just came on with the idea of using some 2" thick sheets of foam seat cushion (like that green foam at Joann's) and doing the rest the same.  Can you think of why that might not be such a great idea?  Thank you for helping me think!  It's been a challenge lately.

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,653
Points 37,370
ls2116 replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 12:48 AM | Locked

A couple more days and I'll be posting baby quilt in gallery.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:25 AM | Locked

Debbie-do:
BUT the light bulb just came on with the idea of using some 2" thick sheets of foam seat cushion (like that green foam at Joann's) and doing the rest the same.  Can you think of why that might not be such a great idea?

I don't think that foam cushion is stiff enough to stand up by itself, so you would still need some way of attaching it.   And if it is what I am thinking of, it may be too porous to use pins to help hold something in place.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:10 AM | Locked

I agree with Patti - I can not imagine that the seat foam would stand on it's own. I am thinking about  two sheets of the rigid foam  for mine - it would be light weight, foldable and inexpensive. Right now all I have is a piece of batting hung on a door back , as I live is a Cape and there are few reall walls in my sewing room (mostly slanted ceilings!!).

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:37 AM | Locked

It will hang from the curtain rod... some how.  My first thought was it'd be ok for sticking pins into but after Patti's input, I started picturing larger, heavier pulling downwards and out/off the board.  Maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all.   Back to the drawing board!  Thank you Patti and eparys!  Which NE woods do you live in, eparys?  I'm originally from southern NH.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,341
Points 414,694
gini replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 10:24 AM | Locked

Debbie, I use the insulation you are talking about.  It was about 7 a sheet at our hard ware store.   I didn't use a flannel back on it, I stab pins in it to hold  the pieces.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,422
Points 40,360
Mimi replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:14 AM | Locked

Debbie, DH and I used thick presentation board from Office Max or Staples.  I can't remember which store now.  We got two giant sheets, duct taped them together, covered in flannel. Mine is mounted on the wall but it would be strong enough to hang.  He thought I was crazy until I showed him what we were doing. LOL

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,732
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:36 AM | Locked

Pat Speth, http://www.patspeth.com/index.html, in her book More Nickel Quilts and in my class instructions for the September Arkansas Guild retreat I am attending, recommends a method for making a portable design wall.

Materials required: 2 dressmaker's cardboard cutting board (the kind that folds up for storage) when folded measures 14" x 40" and opens to 40" x 72", 2 curtain rods that extend to at least 72" (the white metal ones that curve on each end), a piece of white flannel at least 44" x 80" or a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth, and 10 large binder clips 2" in size (from the office supply store).

Instructions: Unfold the cutting board and place it on a flat surface. Place the open curtain rods underneath along the long edges, making sure that they are even so the wall sits squarely on the floor. Lay the flannel on top of the cutting board and fasten the three layers together with the binder clips. Use three clips on each long edge. 

I haven't tried it yet but I have all the pieces to take to the retreat class. (We have to bring them for the class.) It makes for a sturdy yet portable wall. I'll know more after September 8 and will share if anyone if interested.

Debbie, does this help you with your thinking process?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,186
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 12:44 PM | Locked

Mimi:
How is DH doing? 

Mimi:
The Blue and the Grey

Mimi:
I usually buy my repro's from Old Country Store. 
                            Mimi, DH is doing great and ready to go back to work on Wednesday!

I also, have that book I will use mine for that, too. 

If, I can order from OCS, I will buy from them, they do have the best prices.

Are you back to School yet? We start this Wednesday. I cannot believe Summer has gone by so fast. However, I am looking forward to seeing all the kids, sure do miss them.        Hugs back,   Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,422
Points 40,360
Mimi replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:00 PM | Locked

Susan,

Such wonderful news about DH.  So happy for both of you! 

Nope no school this week.  We don't start school here until after Labor Day but teachers start the week before.  The kids come for 180 days.  Our contract is 195 days. Lots of people think we get paid for the entire year...not true...just the days we work.  Dave has off Mon and Tues.  He's going to help me set up my room on Tues.  That way I don't have to move the heavy things around by myself.  Then I'll try and go in a couple hours each day this week to set everything else up.  The district is closed on Fridays during the summer to save energy.  The yearly staff has to work 10 hour days four days a week to get their hours in.  I'm looking forward to the kids too but the politics is something I can't wait to eliminate.  Only a couple more years....darned mortgage. 

Have fun browsing at OCS.  Their web site is www.oldcountrystorefabrics.com    I love their prices, fabrics and customer service.  And when I can I go to the store I try to go alone. LOL  Glad this year's contract gives a good raise. It will fund my fabric addiction.  Hope you are going to join the new sampler quilt whenever that starts.  Keep sweet.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,669
Points 65,695
Bonita replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:48 PM | Locked

I got my center block for RR4 done today. I wish I could show it to you but they said no peeking. LOL I'm real happy with it, and I don't always say that about some of the things I do. Also made another Farmers Wife block. I counted and still have 13 to go. I may get this thing done one of these days or years.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:29 PM | Locked

Bonita, you are so speedy...I haven't even come up with an idea yet.

Page 20 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use