Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 5 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 11:12 PM | Locked

I have been working on my first paper piecing. I find that it is easy, just I write on the paper pattern what color is nest so it helps me keep things in order.

I also had to take my old dog in to the vet, just took her in last week. The vet things she has a tumor and we are trying steroids to see if this will help her, if not on Wednesday I will put her to rest. She is 13 1/2 , so we will just see.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 12:16 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

Donna B:
plus freezing basil pesto!

I make and freeze sage pesto, too.  It is great on gnocchi!

Nancy, do you make your own gnocchi too?  If you do, do you use a potato recipe?  Gnocchi isn't a common dish in the northwest and I don't believe I've ever tried it.  

I love sage dressing, but haven't tried growing culinary sage.  (With 22 acres of sagebrush, I haven't had the urge to grow more sage...lol!)

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:50 AM | Locked

Karla:

The closest I've come to quilting this week is staring at the design wall with Marge's blocks on it.  Darn it, I'm still making plum jelly, plum bread, plum kuchen, etc.  

Karla, are you still loaded with over-ripe plums?  I just saw this!!!  Try dyeing some fabric with them...

http://craftingagreenworld.com/2008/07/11/diy-make-natural-non-toxic-dye/

This fabric turned out a very pretty deep pink/maroon...just lovely.  

Makes me wish I had your plums...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,069
Points 16,380
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 3:19 PM | Locked

MelodyP, I quit smoking in 1998, Thanksgiving Day. I'm still smoke free. If I could do it so can you. I have much weak will power.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:14 PM | Locked

Donna B:

Karla, are you still loaded with over-ripe plums?  I just saw this!!!  Try dyeing some fabric with them...

http://craftingagreenworld.com/2008/07/11/diy-make-natural-non-toxic-dye/

This fabric turned out a very pretty deep pink/maroon...just lovely.  

Makes me wish I had your plums...LOL!

I'm sure it would make a beautiful dye, since all of the kitchen towels and wash cloths are now a very pretty shade of magenta.  We finished cutting up all of the plums this morning, but they are bagged, skin and all, in 1 gallon ziplocs, so I might still try dying some real fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:57 PM | Locked

Karla:
We finished cutting up all of the plums this morning, but they are bagged, skin and all, in 1 gallon ziplocs, so I might still try dying some real fabric.

If I were going to try using them for dyeing, I would use the skins too.  Often that's where you get the most intense color.

I'm actually just trying a batch of black-raspberry dye.  With the intense hot-weather we had last week while we were in Oregon, a lot of our berry crop dried up on the bushes.  So, we picked some of the dried up berries and I am boiling them in water now to see how they will work for dyeing.  They should be great!

When I was in junior-high, I picked these berries commercially for a Smucker's Cannery that processed them for meat dyes...what they stamped the sides of beef with ("Grade A Beef", etc.).  At that time all dyes for food products had to be food grade.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,840
Agnes replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:22 PM | Locked

I'm working on the small summer lap throw from the blocks that were left when I finished the Memories quilt for my grandson. The plaid shirts were his Papa's and the logo and name patches were from his Dad's shirts.

It is just the front with a flannel back without any batting. Will be more than warm enough for him.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 663
Points 12,650
Michelle replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:33 PM | Locked

Didn't work on a quilt today, but I finished a small bag I have been working on.  It was very easy.  Think I can use this pattern to make one even a bit larger. It doesn't show that it sits up on the bottom. I like that on this pattern, I used up several blocks I had from a quilt, sewed them together to make the "material" for the blocks.  Trying to use up some extra material I had. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:33 PM | Locked

Donna B:
Nancy, do you make your own gnocchi?

I've made potato gnocchi once and it wasn't that hard, but I've found a brand I really like, so this is much easier.  You simply boil these for 3-4 minutes, and then saute them in butter with thinly sliced shallots until slightly crisp (10 minutes), and then I stir in my sage pesto before serving.  Yum!

This brand comes in other varieties, but whole wheat and sweet potato is my favorite.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,777
Points 30,815
Roxana replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:44 PM | Locked

Michelle, I love your bag. Who makes the pattern or did you create it yourself?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:32 AM | Locked

Michelle, this is so cute. I wonder if you could find some Wasabi pea fabric? Then you could make a travelling bag for your snack of choice.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,388
Points 46,845
Angele replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:35 AM | Locked

Agnes this is a beautiful memory quilt. I love your stars and maybe I will use that idea to make one of the memory quilts I need to make.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,388
Points 46,845
Angele replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:37 AM | Locked

Nice bag Michelle. That is a great way to use up fabric!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,388
Points 46,845
Angele replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:38 AM | Locked

Those gnocchi look good Nancy. I will look for them next time I'm accross.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,388
Points 46,845
Angele replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:43 AM | Locked

Yesterday I cut fabric and batting to make a rag quilt. As soon as I close this up, I will go make my raspberry muffins and then hopefully finish sorting my fabrics.  By the end of today, it should all be done....unless I go weed my flowers...hhhhm decisions, decisions.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 5 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use