Page 1 of 225 (3365 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,364 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 776,820
QCA Admin Posted: Fri, Jul 26 2013 8:54 AM

Hello,

Because this thread is so popular, and it gets so many replies which can sometimes cause performance issues, we will continually add new "versions."

The last post of Did you work on a quilt today? #8 is here.

The original thread was started on October 17, 2009 by Althea.

Thanks,

QCA Mandy

• | Post Points: 335
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Thank you, Mandy!!

You ladies have been busy!  Valerie, Diane - great job on the MQ8s.   Sukochi, I really love the narrow yellow borders on your quilt.  Very nice touch.  Love those fabrics, too.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

That's neat, eparys.  I think it would look cool if you sliced in the other direction to create blue diamonds.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,056
Points 170,028
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:39 AM

Diane, your MQ8 turned out great, love the border!  Your Eye Spy is so colorful and cheery, good job !

Your design wall looks very interesting, are those floor tiles you have there?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,056
Points 170,028
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:47 AM

Valerie, love your MQ8, your cousin will love it, great job!

eparys, can't wait to see your QOV finished and what you decide to do with it.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 6,590
didash replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 11:49 AM

Marie:

Diane, your MQ8 turned out great, love the border!  Your Eye Spy is so colorful and cheery, good job !

Yes, Marie...they are rubber "tiles" that fit together like puzzle pieces. Came in a pack of 6 at Home Depot.

Then I just thumbtacked up an old flannel sheet. Not fancy, but cheap--and it works for me-LOL! 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 1:35 PM

didash:

Marie:

Yes, Marie...they are rubber "tiles" that fit together like puzzle pieces. Came in a pack of 6 at Home Depot.

Then I just thumbtacked up an old flannel sheet. Not fancy, but cheap--and it works for me-LOL! 

Diane, just one more question about your design wall.  How did you attach the tiles to your wall?  Did you use adhesive?

BTW, great idea!!!  I haven't seen anyone use these before and I am thinking "why didn't I think of that"...lol!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,056
Points 170,028
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 1:45 PM

Donna B:
Diane, just one more question about your design wall.  How did you attach the tiles to your wall?  Did you use adhesive?

I'm wondering the same thing Donna?

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 2:05 PM

I am mentioning it here so hopefully more people will see/notice this!  

QCA is asking its members to fill out a Survey of what we really like about QCA.  This is our chance to tell them what is really important to us, so that it is not accidentally removed as they go through a re-design of the site.  

Go to the link:  QCA Weekly Website Update and Survey Request  and scroll down to Mandy's post with the link to the Survey Request.  

And, guess what!!!  There is even a spot for you to make a suggestion for an improvement to the site!  What is the one thing that QCA does not have that you would like to see?  This is your chance to tell them.  

It doesn't look like many people have taken this survey. If QCA matters to you, please take the Survey and make a short post stating that you have "Done" the survey so we can see how many are responding.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 8:24 PM

Well, I didn't make my deadline on the "Hunter's I Spy" quilts for grandson and grandnephew, but have grandson's quilted and just hand-sewing the binding.  The other quilt is basted - close basting on the panel and pin-basting the blocks.  I hope to stitch-in-ditch around borders and blocks tonight so I can remove the pins.  I will at least have something for the boys tomorrow.  They will probably be finished by next week.  I  am doing the binding on my rest breaks when the legs, back, and mind tell me to get away from the machine.

The first quilt went very slowly - - - First problem - I had to whip my machine into submission.  I tried FMQ by setting up the machine the way the manual says - - - What a mess!!  I then experimented with different settings - feed dogs down, feed dogs up, different tension settings, etc.  I finally have what works, and surprisingly - as someone somewhere posted - it works better with the feed dogs up and the presser foot tension set to nearly zero.  I needed a little more control and this gave it to me.  I left the stitch length the same as I use with the even-feed foot and that made forward stitching easier and still easy to move side to side and backwards.  I did a lot of frogging for both nasty-looking stitches and pleats in the fabric top and bottom until I finally found the magic formula for my machine.  I didn't correct too many of the little pleats, especially on the back.  They don't show on the back because of the leafy camo fabric I used.  AND - - -  this is for a BOY going off to college.  He won't even see them.  I learned on this quilt that I need to do a lot of thread basting on panels because there are no ditches to stitch into to hold things together.  Pins didn't work there because of the size of the quilt and working in the center.  Possibly spray basting would help with the panel and wide border.  Those were the worst.  FMQ around the animals was fun!!!

Rest time is over - - - Back to the machine to start quilting #2.  The boys will get unfinished quilts to look at tomorrow and will get the finished product in time for college in a few weeks.  This has been quite a project, but lots of fun.  Will get pictures before they leave here after they are done.  Maybe I can get a picture of the boys with the quilted one tomorrow.  Will need 2 tall people standing on chairs to get a full picture - - - unless the boys hold it sideways!!!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:04 AM

Marsha-SM:
because of the leafy camo fabric

Marsha, would you happen to have a three inch piece of this camo fabric that I could have? I ask for a very strange reason. I have a Duck Dynasty tee. I picked up the cat this a.m. and she pierced my tee with her back claws. little holes. When it is washed those will be come bigger holes. I thought if I could find a bit of camo fabric, put fray check around the holes and put a camo patch on the shirt. It would go from bad, to a designer tee!! I have been racking my brain for where I would get a little piece of this camo fabric. Then I read this post. Could you? I would pay for mailing.

Sukochi

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:43 AM

Sukochi:

Marsha-SM:
because of the leafy camo fabric

Marsha, would you happen to have a three inch piece of this camo fabric that I could have? I ask for a very strange reason. I have a Duck Dynasty tee. I picked up the cat this a.m. and she pierced my tee with her back claws. little holes. When it is washed those will be come bigger holes. I thought if I could find a bit of camo fabric, put fray check around the holes and put a camo patch on the shirt. It would go from bad, to a designer tee!! I have been racking my brain for where I would get a little piece of this camo fabric. Then I read this post. Could you? I would pay for mailing.

I have camo fabric, I cannot find the pic tho to see if it would match. I would be happy to send it. I don't mind sharing.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 646
Points 16,345

I've busy lately and haven't done much sewing at all, and am having withdrawals.  Yesterday I decided enough was enough and pieced together 3 table runners on my Featherweight while watching some quilting videos (how's that for multi-tasking!).  The top one is much richer colour - not sure why it looks so washed out in the pic. Very simple design and easy to work up, but I think I like them enough to do some in Christmassy fabrics for gifts this holiday season.  When I get my cutting / sewing table cleared off, I'll sandwich and FMQ them -- hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 2:11 PM

The closest I've come to quilting this week is staring at the design wall with Marge's blocks on it.  Darn it, I'm still making plum jelly, plum bread, plum kuchen, etc.  

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 2:59 PM

Karla, I sure hope your family likes plums, a lot!!

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 225 (3365 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use