Crazy quilt swap

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 623
Points 10,745
zoetc49 Posted: Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:30 PM

Hi all.  Maggie and I are going to take this on, but not till January as we all have too many projects to get done before Christmas.

Here are my thoughts on doing this swap . The blocks will be 12" completed. They will be the crazy blocks and only use your fabric stash. ( of course no one will know if you don't) . My thoughts are that if someone wants their blocks to be a blue theme, or red etc, that we try and do that. I want to give a time frame of Jan- July. ( Our own " Christmas in July") Yes it's a long time, but this is just my thoughts. I think it would be good to have us exchange the blocks "decentralized", meaning I and/ or Maggie will collect the address and send out a list so that we can send the blocks to each other and start our own quilts.

This is meant to be fun, so please don't think everything needs to be perfect.

Please let me know if you all like this idea and if you have any other ideas. This will be the first one for me and Maggie to do.

I don't know the size quilt this should make, depending on how many people take part in this will depend on how many blocks we each make. I am hoping that we only need to make one for each person. I am thinking enough to make a throw or twin .

This is for all of us, so please put in your input.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 11:51 PM

I've never tried a crazy quilt but it sounds like fun so I'll put it on my list of things to watch for.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 5:14 AM

your ideas sound great and i look forward to making blocks for another person to get to know.  count me in!  karen jones - iowa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185

your ideas sound great and i look forward to making blocks for another person to get to know.  count me in!  karen jones - iowa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

I really need to start using up my scraps. If we do favored colors we may not be able to use scraps in our stash. I would like us to think about making crazy blocks without any theme or color in mind. That way you actually get "crazy" blocks. The advantage of these blocks is "the sky's the limit."  Your creativity is unlimited. Some will do traditional and some will do modern. You will end up with an eclectic quilt. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,544
Points 25,980
Debbie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 6:42 AM

I have never done a crazy quilt but wanted to so I'm in.  I like the time frame you've set, that's good.  Did I understand that we would send each block to each person, gosh that's a lot of postage (well, depends on how we send it, will have to think on that) anyways, I'm up for it.  I do like Maggie's idea that it be total crazy without any theme or color in mind.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:18 AM

This idea sounds very interesting.  My one thought at this time, but it's not written in stone, I like the idea of the color theme, don't know if that would work.  I'll be watching and reading what others think.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:25 AM

Just another thought and then I'll let someone else go...............How about two groups, a traditional group and a modern group?  

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,504
Points 48,110
Frances replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:40 AM

For anyone whos after ideas for crazy quilting i found this blog http://crazyquiltinginternational.blogspot.co.uk/ it has some amazing photos on it of peoples work.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 623
Points 10,745
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:48 AM

I too have never done a block like these, but I think it would be a lot of fun.

If the blocks were just sent to one address, then they could be mailed out in one lump in a US Postal prepaid box,  I would just ask right before they were mail to send a check on money order before they were mailed. If done that way then no one would get them till the end, but that is a thought. A block can be mailed in a large regular envelop with a forever stamp if we did it the other way. It might cost a little more, but I don't think that much more.

I am not sure about two groups, but that is something to think about.  Are you talking about doing "modern" and in more up to date fabric? I like the one that was done for Karla's and Maggie's quilts, if that is what you meant by modern.   It might be best to do as Maggie suggested, and just allow our creative juices to flow in any direction and in any color. Some people might like to do the fancy things of the older style, I don't know?  What do you all think?

I will wait to hear what everyone thinks, and go with the flow. I am glad that many are already on board. Feel free to start on them in your free time once we are pretty clear on everything.  We will start the group in January.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

If you made 12- 12 X 12 blocks and mailed them in a regular letter envelope it would cost around $5.00 for all of them to be mailed. And that would mean 24 would cost approximately $10. If you shoved them all in a flat rate and sent along a pre-addressed pre-paid flat rate envelope you might spend a little more on two envelopes.  That is not from any experience though.  However, I did weigh my crazy block envelope which included money and a note. It weighed in the range for regular postage but I stuck two stamps on it just to be safe. We didn't have enough time for it to be returned to me and re-mailed. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,861
Points 32,300
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 8:03 PM

Maggie, 
Flat rates also come in padded envelopes and  legal size and neither of them costs as much more as a second envelope would. You can easily put a return envelope in the package. Just an FYI.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:49 AM

go to the media section of crazy art quilt group to see some amazing work done by our members.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

Patti:

go to the media section of crazy art quilt group to see some amazing work done by our members.

Patti, those are beautiful. I didn't even know this group existed. Thanks so much for sharing!  I would hope members would think about joining our block swap in January!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use