rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 9:55 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
It says to print  98 templates for the 69 x 84 size. But I want it  King size so would have to add another ring.

Or you could make the rings bigger.  I am sure I will be working on this at the retreat as well.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Patti:

Judy T-Bellingham:
It says to print  98 templates for the 69 x 84 size. But I want it  King size so would have to add another ring.

Or you could make the rings bigger.  I am sure I will be working on this at the retreat as well.

I think that would really stretch my ability but I'll play around with it. The method in Eleanor Burns book that she referred to used fusible interfacing to turn the strips. Then each strip was appliqued to the background square and the corner triangles sewn on. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:14 AM

Very pretty fabrics, Judy!  I used the John Flynn templates and Thea's instructions in the DWR group.  I only made 9 rings.  I can't imagine doing a king sized quilt. Oh My Goodness.  I'm happy with the way it turned out but I'm not so sure I'll try it again but then...  who knows!?

Good luck to ya!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,479
Points 21,770
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:16 AM

I love your color choices!  I have some of that little yellow butterfly fabric at home!  Just used it in the baby top I worked on.  I really need to get that done ASAP as she had the baby on the 19th!  It's quilted, but I need to do some final stitching and the binding.  Shouldn't take too long, but I have to be home long enough, and awake enough to finish it up.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:44 AM

Judy, while I was laying awake at 3 am this morning (?) your DWR popped into my head and I wondered if you always use 30's fabric for this quilt.  You must have heard me. lol.  I like your fabric choices which makes me wonder if anyone has ever made one in B&W fabrics.

I also hope this quilt is for you or a close family member because it seems so time consuming. You know there will be a lot of Quilters in Oregon (wish I had stayed on the list) and I am sure they will keep you from struggling with it if you lose patience.  I am sure you will have no problem because I have seen pictures of some of your quilts.

oh, and maybe you can return that Eleanor Burns  DWR book.

from TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:50 AM

I just remembered that Patti says she is making a DWR also, I see a Quilting Bee section here and will be looking forward to seeing the pictures during the Oregon retreat.

Kris did a fantastic job of posting pictures/quips during the Leavenworth retreat. 

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 11:19 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Guess what I may be working on (struggling with?) at the Oregon retreat.

Patti:
I am sure I will be working on this at the retreat as well.

I have a pre cut DWR kit. I'll bring it to the retreat and we can all struggle along together, and help encourage each other too. I think mine is queen sized.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Bev. I don't mind keeping her book. There are so many other projects that I want to try. I don't really like that she includes a quilt that requires another book purchase to complete it. Especially when the other book is out of print. Oh well, not really high up in the importance scale. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

This is great if others are bringing DWR projects. Perhaps I'll pick up some pointers. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620
Quiltless replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 4:06 PM

I love the fabrics, Judy! 

Has anyone ever done a "Rings that Bind" DWR quilt?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:47 PM

Judy,

I've always wanted to make a DWR since I learned to quilt.

I designed one in EQ and have started working on it. I'm doing mine the old fashioned way...by hand. I bring my pieces to work and sew when I have down time. I haven't sewn anything in the past month (quite a slump) but hope to get back to it soon.

It will be a king sized 110 x 110. I should be done in about 20 years. LOL. I could definitely bring some of it to work on in Oregon.

I like the fabrics you have chosen so far. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:48 PM

Quiltless:
Has anyone ever done a "Rings that Bind" DWR quilt?

I bought the book after seeing it on Kaye Wood TV but never tried the technique. I also have the John Flynn templates.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,401
Points 45,170

Kris , I am working on a DWR and doing it the old fashioned way - on a featherweight. LOL, I sew binding by hand and that's about it. However, don't despair I will probably still be working on it for another 20 years too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Kris:
It will be a king sized 110 x 110. I should be done in about 20 years. LOL. I could definitely bring some of it to work on in Oregon.

Yes, please do. Since George isn't coming with me this time, I'll be free to do whatever I want ,whenever I want, however long I want.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:02 PM

I have to ask my MIL to be what her favorite colors are.  Then I will choose my fabric.  Looks like several of us might be working on DWR at retreat.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use