rated by 0 users
This post has 60 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930
Priscilla replied on Fri, Feb 26 2010 10:54 PM

Nana:

Priscilla

Its not the time I have problems with ...  I just find taking the paper off frustrating.  The last few blocks I have done haven't been bad though.  I am now using a leather needle and closer stitching and the paper almost falls off when I am done.

I would have not thought of that. A leather needle. Like the kind they use at shoe shops? I am not familiar with needle sizes. I get what is on sale. Or what my Joann coupon will save.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Feb 26 2010 11:44 PM

Priscilla

I like the Schmetz brand sewing machine needles.  I usually use the 90/14 for my piecing but someone mentioned trying using the needle made for jeans which is larger and of course makes a bigger hole in the paper.   Well I didn't have any of the Jeans needles but I have a whole pack of the Leather needles...110/18.  So using the larger needle and increasing the number of stitches per inch worked like a charm....the paper almost falls off.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 7:23 AM

Althea,

What is this paper you are referring too?  I have never paper pieced and would like to try it sometime in the near future.  If it a brand name?

Thanks, Joni

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,337
Thea replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:06 PM

I am home now - lol - so I will look...it is called Neenah Paper... and when I talked about it months ago I think maybe Judi might have gone and bought some... the one I have is in a goldenrod colored paper.  I don't have the thingie at the end of it anymore as a friend here was going to go buy some and took that to show her which one she needed - I got it at a paper store down in OKC and it was the only store that I know of that made it.  It comes in a ream of 500 sheets and the package is as I said goldenrod in color ...you can go to their website - www.neenahpaper.com and look them up - I can't tell you which one it is though....I am so sorry - I have looked and looked at their site.  maybe Judy will remember which one it is.  I just know that I went in the paper store and it I believe is a vellum paper - kind of transluscent in color and is strong but so so thin... you can put it through your printer without a problem...

I would have to go back down to OKC and look at the packages to find it again... I want to say it was a 60 weght or something like that - but really can't say - wish I had written the stuff on the outside of the package but all it says on it is the website and that the color of the package is copyrighted to Neenah...  A teacher at one of the local sewing shops told me about it - she makes wedding dresses that are absolutely beautiful and uses it for her embroidery stabilizer... I was amazed - she told me was only thing she used for paper piecing - it was one of those days i was in the shop complaining about paper piecing... but the store isn't there anymore...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,166
Points 387,662
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 1:47 PM

Small correction:

www.neenahpaper.com

Thanks for the info Thea. I don't know if Judy bought any but I plan on ordering some. I have a paper pieced project coming up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,337
Thea replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 3:10 PM

thank you for the correction - teehee - have finger typing problems -hands had a week off...teehee...

i wish though from that site that I could tell you which one it is... makes me mad as i look through them all... but it is thin and the package is butterscotch yellow or there abouts and it looks like vellum - there are 500 pieces in the package and it is about an inch thick.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 4:33 PM

Althea

I will have to check out the office supply and paper supply store here in town and see if either one carries that brand of paper.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,166
Points 387,662
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 7:34 PM

Thea,

it's hard to tell which it is but they do offer samples. Maybe I could get some of that. I think it's one from the translucent line.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:14 PM

You and I did talk about this, Thea; and I did go to Office Depot to buy some, but they didn't have anything close that I could find. I can't remember what I finally bought - maybe Carol Doak's paper at the LQS. I just have never had any real problems getting the paper off except when it's little, teeny, bitty points that comes together. LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:19 PM

Thea, I ordered the paper several months ago when you were talking about it.  It's Neenah UV/Ultra II Translucent paper 8.5M weight smooth.

I haven't had a chance to use it because I haven't learned paper piecing yet, but I like to be prepared.  :-)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:33 PM

MNnancy:
I haven't had a chance to use it because I haven't learned paper piecing yet, but I like to be prepared.

Laughing 2

You and the people in Hawaii, Nancy!

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:39 PM

Judy Iliff:
You and the people in Hawaii, Nancy!

LOL!

Always love your smileys.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:42 PM

MNnancy:
Always love your smileys

Yep, they make me, well, smile!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 10:46 PM

Nancy

Where did you order your paper from....It seemed like the website was wholesale only.  Just wanted to make sure before I try ordering.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:58 PM

I did order directly from the Neenah site.  Look for the "Shop Now" button.  Well, actually, here is the full link to that paper. http://www.neenahpaper.com/ItemListing/index.asp?ft=Home&s=UV&b=58&onlineonly=Y  It was the 17 lb. bond.

Page 4 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.