rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Dara posted on Sat, Jul 20 2013 3:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I just signed up for my first retreat with my LQS.  It is the week before Thanksgiving but I'd like to make sure that I'm ready for it.  I was wondering what the rest of you do about toting all your 'stuff'.   Do you just put your ruler's, rotary cutter etc in a plastic tote box or do you use one of those special quilted tote bags, like the ones I've seen on some of the quilting shows, to haul them with your cutting mat?  If so can anyone recommend a pattern?  

Also, if anyone has any kind of checklist of what to take that would be most helpful too.

Thanks!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,337 Posts
Points 38,880
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:03 PM
Verified by Dara

Dara:
I was wondering if it would be worth the work of making one of those ruler & mat tote bags.

Well I guess that would be up to you.  I started one a long time ago and never finished it.  I know there is a pattern for one in the Fall 2013 issue of Easy Quilts.  But I'm right now getting ready to go to Quilt Odyssey in Hershey this Wednesday and this is what I'm doing.  I am putting the supplies for each class I'm going to take in a zipper bag;  the project bags that were on sale on Eleanor Burn's site.  All the supplies, rulers, extra what-evers specific to the class go right in with the fabric.  Then the day of the class I grab the right bag, (lol) take my machine, cutting mat, pin cushion with pins, and rotary cutter (closed please!) and head off to the workshop.  I do pack another small plastic tote with all the things that might be used in every class. (seam ripper, who me, I don't make mistakes [yeah right].....extra thread, pins, rotary blades, etc.)  That way I don't have to readjust everything every day.  Just remember to have LOTS of fun and laugh so much your sides ache.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735
Verified by Dara

I was just reading thru these and not sure if anyone mentioned an extra light on ur table if you like that, extension cord or surge protector strip. We did use them a lot in the smokies. Maybe a pillow for your chair depends on the chairs they have. And if you do handwork, binding, etc, bring hand needles and binding clips for holding it.

i also like Mimi, put each project in a plastic container already cut, with any thread and specific ruler it might need and the Instructions on top.

I do have one of the bags that holds all my rulers, thread, pins, etc. I made it as I was going back and forth to embroidery classes and wanted to make sure I had everything in one bag. I made it from a few patterns so it fits everything I wanted in there. I love it, but you definitely don't need it. Of course, the word NEED is always relative!  

You will have so much fun!  Every retreat seems to be different depending on if you're doing a class or just sewing. It also depends on the group you're with. The smokies retreat we did some sight seeing also and lots of shopping at quilt stores along the route!  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,869
gini replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:11 PM

Nana:
Gee Gini I thought you cooked with a recipe and sewed with a pattern......LOL

there always seems to be a  smarty pants in the crowd.  :  )

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 7:49 AM

Michelle:

Dara, I'm interested in your idea of an easel, that would be great for a retreat.  It would also serve as a small idea board, or design board for retreats where you share a design board with others.  What a great idea.  Where would you get the easel? Like Hobby Lobby? 

Michelle,

Actually, I was thinking of making it myself.  I've seen some small precuts, both wood and plexiglass, at Lowes.  I was thinking of making a fabric cover that would hold 2 pieces and fold in the middle.  A small strap on each side of one end could then be fastened to the other sides' ends so that when opened it stays in the desired position.  I'm thinking it could be set on either the floor or a table.  I am making my pockets 22 inches wide by about 30 inches tall so it will be big enough to hold my 18 x 24 cutting mat with a little room left at the top for some small pockets.  I think I can make 3 or 4 panels with multiple pockets each to hold most of my stuff.  With multiple pocket panels, it is customizable so you can have more or less with you depending on needs.  Then everything would go into a quilted tote.

I love your idea of a mini-design board.  By using flannel on one side it would be perfect!!!   Thanks so much for the idea!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:17 AM

Oh one more thing....   I plan to use some of my 'leftover' blocks to make some of the pockets.  And some of the pockets I will make new blocks for.  The new blocks will tell me what type of tool goes into the pocket.  For example, the pocket for my hexagon ruler will have an appliqued hexi flower on it and the pocket for the tri-recs rulers will have a block that has that kind of a patch in it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

Do you mind posting a few pics as you go? Maybe I can do a small one as a portable design board also. I haven't liked any of the ones you buy and right now just have the flannel material hung over the door in my sewing room. Actually because its a long piece of material, it lets me have a design wall on both sides of the door! 

Michelle B

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,096 Posts
Points 24,680
Agnes replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:58 AM

Dara:
I was thinking of making a fabric cover that would hold 2 pieces and fold in the middle.  A small strap on each side of one end could then be fastened to the other sides' ends so that when opened it stays in the desired position.  I'm thinking it could be set on either the floor or a table.

I made myself an "easel" using art foam core board from Staples. I used stick on Velcro for the hinges and twill tape for carrying handles. I used this when I was doing demonstrations for groups, set on a table and worked great. I covered the inside surface with flannel. I no longer go out to do demonstrations so have tacked the two separate sides on the wall as design boards. I have also used the plastic corrugated sheets but not sure of the name. They are firm enough but much lighter weight than either wood or plexiglass to carry around. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

Anges, do you have a picture of these? I would be Interested in that as a set on the table board for classes 

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,096 Posts
Points 24,680
Agnes replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 1:02 PM

Michelle:
Anges, do you have a picture of these?

Michelle--I never thought to take a picture of the boards in action. They are now dismantled and I'll try to explain what I did.

I used 2 Art Core boards approx 24' x 30" and 2 pieces flannel, approx 28" x 34", serge or overcast edges.

Lay piece of flannel right side down on table. Center foam core on fabric, bring fabric over edge and staple in place pulling taunt. Since then I use spray adhesive for this type of project. and don't end up with errand staple tips. I would spray the board and place the fabric from center out and pull it out and around the edge and also spray it down. 

Hinges: On back Side: 4 pieces of sticky back hook Velcro approx 1" x 2" and 2 approx 5" lengths of loop Velcro  Glue one piece of the 1 x 2" pieces on the back of each board  6" down from top and bottom of one 30" edge, with the 2" length running horizontally to the 24" edge. The 5" lengths are what forms the hinge when attached.

Carrying Handles: On Back Side: 2 lengths approx 1" wide x 12" long webbing. Glue these down near center on 30" edge that is opposite the edge with the Velcro.

I went into my supply closet and made a quick board for illustration for photos. These design boards are approx 10" x 14". These are made from recycled materials. The firm board is pieces cut from a discarded government poster. This is corrugated plastic board. Not sure but it might be called Artex. Hinge is carpet tape. Green fabric is felt cut from a puzzle roll up sheet. The white fabric is a piece of leftover flat batting. The fabrics are cut to size and held in place with spray adhesive.

Hope this helps you.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:31 PM

Agnes:

Dara:
I was thinking of making a fabric cover that would hold 2 pieces and fold in the middle.  A small strap on each side of one end could then be fastened to the other sides' ends so that when opened it stays in the desired position.  I'm thinking it could be set on either the floor or a table.

I made myself an "easel" using art foam core board from Staples. I used stick on Velcro for the hinges and twill tape for carrying handles. I used this when I was doing demonstrations for groups, set on a table and worked great. I covered the inside surface with flannel. I no longer go out to do demonstrations so have tacked the two separate sides on the wall as design boards. I have also used the plastic corrugated sheets but not sure of the name. They are firm enough but much lighter weight than either wood or plexiglass to carry around. 

Agnes,  you are right the foam would work wonderfully to use as a design board but I am also planning on using mine to hold my mat and rulers so I need something that can carry the weight.  I'm thinking about getting a sheet of 1/4 inch smooth plywood.  I only need 2 pieces the are 2 feet by 3 feet, but I also want to use the rest for other projects and it is cheaper that way.  I see that Lowes carries it in precut 2 foot by 2 foot pieces if you want to make something that size.

Michelle,  I'll be glad to post pictures as I go.  An idea gets even better if it is shared :-)

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use