rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara posted on Sat, Jul 20 2013 3:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I just signed up for my first retreat with my LQS.  It is the week before Thanksgiving but I'd like to make sure that I'm ready for it.  I was wondering what the rest of you do about toting all your 'stuff'.   Do you just put your ruler's, rotary cutter etc in a plastic tote box or do you use one of those special quilted tote bags, like the ones I've seen on some of the quilting shows, to haul them with your cutting mat?  If so can anyone recommend a pattern?  

Also, if anyone has any kind of checklist of what to take that would be most helpful too.

Thanks!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,452 Posts
Points 40,765
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:03 PM
Verified by Dara

Dara:
I was wondering if it would be worth the work of making one of those ruler & mat tote bags.

Well I guess that would be up to you.  I started one a long time ago and never finished it.  I know there is a pattern for one in the Fall 2013 issue of Easy Quilts.  But I'm right now getting ready to go to Quilt Odyssey in Hershey this Wednesday and this is what I'm doing.  I am putting the supplies for each class I'm going to take in a zipper bag;  the project bags that were on sale on Eleanor Burn's site.  All the supplies, rulers, extra what-evers specific to the class go right in with the fabric.  Then the day of the class I grab the right bag, (lol) take my machine, cutting mat, pin cushion with pins, and rotary cutter (closed please!) and head off to the workshop.  I do pack another small plastic tote with all the things that might be used in every class. (seam ripper, who me, I don't make mistakes [yeah right].....extra thread, pins, rotary blades, etc.)  That way I don't have to readjust everything every day.  Just remember to have LOTS of fun and laugh so much your sides ache.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 150 Contributor
Female
664 Posts
Points 12,685
Verified by Dara

I was just reading thru these and not sure if anyone mentioned an extra light on ur table if you like that, extension cord or surge protector strip. We did use them a lot in the smokies. Maybe a pillow for your chair depends on the chairs they have. And if you do handwork, binding, etc, bring hand needles and binding clips for holding it.

i also like Mimi, put each project in a plastic container already cut, with any thread and specific ruler it might need and the Instructions on top.

I do have one of the bags that holds all my rulers, thread, pins, etc. I made it as I was going back and forth to embroidery classes and wanted to make sure I had everything in one bag. I made it from a few patterns so it fits everything I wanted in there. I love it, but you definitely don't need it. Of course, the word NEED is always relative!  

You will have so much fun!  Every retreat seems to be different depending on if you're doing a class or just sewing. It also depends on the group you're with. The smokies retreat we did some sight seeing also and lots of shopping at quilt stores along the route!  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 3:48 PM

contact your quilt shop and see if they are providing cutting mats and rulers, irons and boards, extra lights,etc.   then take everything you would use for quilting that they aren't bringing.   if you are going with a friend you can share these items.

it is best to have easy projects that are cut and ready to sew.   in the confusion of laughing and talking  there are a lot of miscuts.   ziplock bags will be your friends.  if you have a particular quilt you need help with, there might be some experienced quilters there to give suggestions. 

make sure you have your sewing machine pedal, cord, and the foot box. oh, and the kitchen sink. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,452 Posts
Points 40,765
Mimi replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 3:50 PM

Dara,

I just put things I think I might need into a tote.  I package each project in its own baggie.  That way I can put in the specialty items I might need for that project.  Be sure to label your rulers, etc.,  with your name.  Everyone's 6 1/2 inch ruler looks alike.  I use a small paper label that sticks.  Others use those sticky address labels that you get in the mail that you haven't asked for.  Most of all have fun and be realistic about what you might accomplish.  For the Smokey Mountain retreat, I just took UFO's that I needed/wanted to finish.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,517 Posts
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 4:50 PM

Oh and may I add to the list of things to take on a retreat.  Take the right feet for your machine.  Double check to make certain you have the right one, don't just assume it is on the machine. LOL   Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 4:13 PM

Thanks Gini!   They did say that they would be sending information in the next month or so.  And a friend from work was with me (we were picking out material for her retirement quilt) and she decided to sign up too, so we can share some things.  I was thinking of taking my MQ8 with me.  Everything is already cut.  I have only gotten 2 blocks completed and haven't touched it except to move it around in my sewing room.  Great suggestion about taking extra zip bags!  As for the sink,  that is what I'm afraid of doing :-)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 4:26 PM

Thanks Mimi.  I have tons of those address labels.  I'll be able to use up a few !   I've got a couple of paper piecing projects (compass & Harry Potter), but I don't think they would be good to take, too many fabrics to bring along.  I'd want my whole sewing room.  So I'll stick with something fairly simple.  I was wondering if it would be worth the work of making one of those ruler & mat tote bags.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,452 Posts
Points 40,765
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:03 PM
Verified by Dara

Dara:
I was wondering if it would be worth the work of making one of those ruler & mat tote bags.

Well I guess that would be up to you.  I started one a long time ago and never finished it.  I know there is a pattern for one in the Fall 2013 issue of Easy Quilts.  But I'm right now getting ready to go to Quilt Odyssey in Hershey this Wednesday and this is what I'm doing.  I am putting the supplies for each class I'm going to take in a zipper bag;  the project bags that were on sale on Eleanor Burn's site.  All the supplies, rulers, extra what-evers specific to the class go right in with the fabric.  Then the day of the class I grab the right bag, (lol) take my machine, cutting mat, pin cushion with pins, and rotary cutter (closed please!) and head off to the workshop.  I do pack another small plastic tote with all the things that might be used in every class. (seam ripper, who me, I don't make mistakes [yeah right].....extra thread, pins, rotary blades, etc.)  That way I don't have to readjust everything every day.  Just remember to have LOTS of fun and laugh so much your sides ache.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
664 Posts
Points 12,685
Verified by Dara

I was just reading thru these and not sure if anyone mentioned an extra light on ur table if you like that, extension cord or surge protector strip. We did use them a lot in the smokies. Maybe a pillow for your chair depends on the chairs they have. And if you do handwork, binding, etc, bring hand needles and binding clips for holding it.

i also like Mimi, put each project in a plastic container already cut, with any thread and specific ruler it might need and the Instructions on top.

I do have one of the bags that holds all my rulers, thread, pins, etc. I made it as I was going back and forth to embroidery classes and wanted to make sure I had everything in one bag. I made it from a few patterns so it fits everything I wanted in there. I love it, but you definitely don't need it. Of course, the word NEED is always relative!  

You will have so much fun!  Every retreat seems to be different depending on if you're doing a class or just sewing. It also depends on the group you're with. The smokies retreat we did some sight seeing also and lots of shopping at quilt stores along the route!  

Michelle B

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 7:09 PM

Thanks Michelle,

I've gone thru all of my quilting magazines and found 3 or 4 patterns and I looked at patterns on the web.  I considered buying a pattern for one but finally decided not to.  I've decided to make my own like you did. Each used different methods and had good points and bad.  If I can I'd like to incorporate a few of my orphan blocks into it as pockets. Right now I am sketching it out so I'll have a plan for where I want the pockets and what sizes they should be.

I don't yet have the particulars from my LQS but you, Gini, Mimi and others have given me a lot of wonderful tips.  I'm going to check out those project bags that you and Mimi mentioned.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

Post-its.  Or scrap paper and pins.  Or masking tape and a pen.  You won't have as much space to spread all your stuff out, so if you cut out a quilt, you might need to label the parts (Step 1, Step 2, etc) so that you'll still know what's what after they all get dumped into a big pile.  At least that is my experience.  :)  

Have fun!!  

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 4:55 PM

the new easy quilts mag has a recipe for a matt carrier. 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 7:56 PM

Thanks Carolyn,  I'll add this to my list.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:02 PM

Thanks Gini,

I saw that too.  I'm thinking now that I can make an easel with a couple of hooks at the top and then hang "pockets" from that.  I can hang multiple "pockets" and then make a bag in which to carry the easel and pockets. This way I won't have to worry about how to prop up the bag and the tools will be handy  I'll let you know how it works out.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
664 Posts
Points 12,685

Dara, I'm interested in your idea of an easel, that would be great for a retreat.  It would also serve as a small idea board, or design board for retreats where you share a design board with others.  What a great idea.  Where would you get the easel? Like Hobby Lobby? 

Michelle B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:30 PM

gini:

the new easy quilts mag has a recipe for a matt carrier. 

Gee Gini I thought you cooked with a recipe and sewed with a pattern......LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use