Top 10 Posters

Iron Reviews

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Ocydroma posted on Fri, Jul 19 2013 11:58 PM

I was wondering what's people's opinions are of the two followimg irons.

The first being he Shark Professiomal (Red). Then the second being the Rowenta Autosteam 1700W  Max. 

Thanks so much

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:12 AM

Ocydroma,

I'm not familiar with those models but have owned several Rowentas and one Shark.

I like models that have 1800 watts because I also do a lot of ironing (clothing) and the higher heat along with the weight of the iron makes the job a lot easier.  

I have a love/hate relationship with Rowenta.  I love the job they do but mine have had many issues. I want to say up front that I followed the owners manual regarding the type of water to use.  My first two were the Professional models.  Both shorted out where the cord met the base while I was ironing. Sparks flew!  I bought a Black & Decker that worked well but after a while it began leaking and spitting rusty colored water.  I went shopping for a new iron again.  I was in Bed Bath & Beyond looking at irons and talking to the salesperson while debating whether to take a chance on another Rowenta.  She told me that I could return anything anytime as long as I had my sales receipt.  I bought another Rowenta and it ended up going back because it leaked.  I exchanged it for another one and it ended up going back for the same reason.  At this point, I haven't replaced it because my local BBB didn't have a different model with 1800 watts for the price I was willing to spend.  

I also have a Shark that Costco had on clearance.  I wanted an inexpensive iron to use for fusibles. That iron works fine for pressing fabric but since I haven't replaced my last Rowenta I also use it for ironing.  The things I don't like about it is that it shuts off quickly, it doesn't get hot enough for ironing, and the button for setting the temp is in the handle and it's easy to bump it and turn off the iron while using it. 

My advice is to buy your iron at BBB (or any store with a liberal return policy) if you have a store near you.  Keep in mind that if you have to return it, they refund your money the same way you paid for it.  I paid for my last Rowenta by credit card but ended up getting store credit because I had closed that account.  Also, read the reviews on the irons.  Keep in mind that it's hard to judge by comments that are made immediately after the person purchased the iron.  It is new and always works great right out of the box.  Often people will post a comment after they have had the item a while.  When I looked at the negative comments about the iron I was having problems with, they were spot on.  

Good luck!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,933 Posts
Points 125,230

Sheri A.:
I bought a Black & Decker that worked well but after a while it began leaking and spitting rusty colored water

I don't put water in my iron any longer because of problems. I use a spray bottle for those few times I need moisture. Not optimal but I iron very few clothes, mostly just quilting related.

Irons, like other appliances, used to last years and years. Now that we have "planned obsolescence", that is no longer the case. Or, fancy new models attract us with all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, those bells and whistles are usually doomed to fail.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:33 AM

I have had about every iron ever made. I currently have a Shark, on my sister's recommendation. I am finding the problem with the quick shut off really annoying.  I tend to drop irons constantly. Thus, every one starts leaking. So far, I have not dropped this one. I had a Rowenta I bought off QVC years ago. I paid almost $100. for it and dropped it the first week. I was unusable. DH liked to have killed me. I am learning that it is better if I set the iron down next to my board on a table after each use. that way when I am walking away from or walk to the board, I don't knock it off. Can you say bull in a china shop? That would be me.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370

I also have had the Oliso brand. Has my first one for 4 years, they are expensive, almost $200. The heating element went out on the first one. Called them, of course I so keep every receipt. ( I'm obsessive like that). They had me mailed it back, they paid the postage and fixed it for $69 because it was out of Warrenty. They are slow to return it, several weeks, but they have been very good on customer service 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 340

I have a Rowenta Focus iron that does not have the auto shut-off and I really like it.  I've had it for ever a year and find that if I don't empty the water out of  tank after I shut it off, it will leak.  Occasionally it will leak while using it, but not very often.  Seems to be a problem with Rowenta from I've read.  I would buy this iron again in a heartbeat because it doesn't shut off, love that feature for quilting.  It also generates a LOT of steam.

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Ocydroma replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 10:32 PM

Thanks so much for the responses! I love this group!

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 195

Just joined as I'm searching for a new iron.  Purchase Oliso on Jan.3, 2014.  Dry ironed fabric was nice.  I turned on the steam to carefully iron silk/cotton sweater and it spit huge streaks of brown something.  It did not appear to be rust.  After a 2nd try on an old towel, I took the mess back to the quilt shop where I bought it.  It tested out the same for them and they are returning it to Oliso,  

So, I appreciate the reviews.  My Classic Black & Decker is old, some scratches on the plate and my Rowenta has been spitting it's stuff almost from the beginning.

Reading many reviews, Good Housekeeping, Amazon and Consumer Report.   Reliable and DeLonghi looking good but depends on cost.  And, how sweet it would be to find a great iron made in USA.  Thanks.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
162 Posts
Points 2,855

I bought a very cheap iron at Kmart.  I only put distilled water.  My faucet water has so many minerals in it I was also having the problem with dark stuck spitting on my clothes and fabric.

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

Hi!  I have owned every iron out there just like others here! From cheap to expensive, like 3 Rowentas,  they all leaked, and spit and streaked! I bought an Oliso, it lasted a few months, the legs stayed down and wouldn't go up, it spit too!! I finally bought a RELIABLE IRON.  I don't work for them honest! But this iron is amazing! It does not spit, it does not streak, just read about it, it's different then any iron out there. It is also expensive. About 100.00.  But seriously, I have it for over a year and I quilt and iron every day. It's going strong!   I love, love this iron. If it breaks I will own another. It does what they say it does!  Hope that helps.  I was tired of wasting money, and messing up my expensive fabric!   

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

Opps forgot to say, I only use distilled water too!   Big difference!

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

I have a $12 iron. I've had it for about 5 years. I have the worst luck with irons. I have found that the more technology a small appliance (coffee makers) has, the more it has to go wrong. I'm happy with my cheapo iron.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470

I have a Rowenta effective that was bought at Hancock fabrics for about $60.00 two years ago and have had no problems with it. It has automatic shut off, gets very hot, and makes lots of steam. I use bottled water in it . I have dropped it once, but it still runs fine.    Susan

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 195

Good to hear that you have a great deal of experience with it.  Can you tell me the model number. Working on a 36" Dresden plate table topper tonight pressing seams open.  Oh my,  how I wish I had an iron with a good point.  Isn't this the one that has steam holes at the tip?

I read that the Reliable Sensor is the ultimate.  Dunno about the price and/or aluminum sole plate.  Appreciate all feed back as Feb. 1st I'm shopping.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

I have the velocity 50. The orange one? I had been burned( no pun intended lol!) by high priced irons so often, I went with the lowest priced one.  I have not been disappointed.   Besides my sewing machines, it would be one of my must have items!   I just saw on Amazon it is 99.00. Not as high as some of the others.   I hope this helps you, I researched this iron for awhile before I purchased it, I am a big fan!!  

MODESTO, CA.
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use