Top 10 Posters

Denim rag quilt help

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35
sewhawaiian posted on Fri, Jul 19 2013 1:27 PM

Hi!  I'm new to quilting and am starting with a rag quilt.  The top is denim and the backing is flannel, but I wanted to add a few non-denim squares to the top to give a little color and interest.  Living in a warm climate, I'm not adding batting between the denim and flannel, but what should I do with the non-denim squares?  What should I use to stabilize and yet make them a similar height/weight to the other squares?  Mahalo!

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980
Answered (Verified) Angele replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:35 PM
Verified by sewhawaiian

Sew hawwaiian, you could use some flannels or an appliqué block instead. Those I would line with flannel or how about using the denim for the back of the square?

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
665 Posts
Points 12,705

I love this site for all types of jean quilt ideas and free patterns. 

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2011/10/free-pattern-day-denim-quilts.html?m=1

im working on the cathedral windows one now. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980
Answered (Verified) Angele replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:35 PM
Verified by sewhawaiian

Sew hawwaiian, you could use some flannels or an appliqué block instead. Those I would line with flannel or how about using the denim for the back of the square?

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 25
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 9:05 AM

Michelle thanks for sharing that website. I went to check things out and they look like so much fun!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
665 Posts
Points 12,705

I am just in the stage of cutting all the jean circles for the cathedral window one.  As I cut up jeans ( I use them for making jean aprons and sell the aprons), I cut them into the size I need and have in a container close to the ironing board.  Then as I cut out quilt blocks, any leftovers large enough, I cut to the size square to go inside the jean circle.  Think by end of year, I should have enough to make this quilt all at of leftovers!! 

Michelle B

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:50 AM

I'm curious. I have all these denim squares left over from another quilt. I was wondering if I could make a cathedral window using the denim as the square and flannels or homespun as the circles.... Hmmm what do you think?

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
665 Posts
Points 12,705

Not sure.  There is no finishing off of the edges of the denim on this cathedral window, so the fraying of the denim is what you are getting.  It would be like the fraying you get when you do a rag quilt and the edges are not finished off. I like the idea of the flannel, but I love flannel so I'm partial to it. 

Michelle B

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 8:06 AM

Hnnn, I might have to try it out on a smaller scale like a pillow. The squares are 5 1/2 inches. Maybe I could make circles with them..... Decisions decisions...

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use