Borders on foundation pieced quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Thu, Jul 18 2013 8:59 AM

I just finished setting together the last foundation pieced blocks my Mother made before she died in 2008 (she was 91 when she made these blocks in 2007) and have wound up with a 67 inch square top.  In order for the quilt to be useable, I need to add a total of 20 inches in length (divided into 2 borders, top and bottom) in order for the quilt to be useable as a twin sized quilt. If I add a 5 inch border on each side in addition to the top and bottom border I will have a standard sized quilt.  If I add 13 inch top/bottom borders and 9 inch side borders I would have a queen quilt.

In the past I have added smaller borders (no more than 4 inches) to foundation pieced tops without any problem. Since these would be much wider I am wondering if I need to back the borders with the foundation material in order for the weight balance of the quilt to be correct and/or prevent the quilt from becoming "wonky" or getting "lettuce" edges.

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:42 AM

What a beautiful and the border looks fantastic.  

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,280 Posts
Points 173,403
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 1:35 PM

Beautiful quilt, Flojo, love the border!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 340

What a great idea!!  Please post a picture when it's all pieced and quilted.  It's going to be stunning.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use