Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy Posted: Thu, Jul 18 2013 7:53 AM

Hi QCA members. I am a member of a group on Etsy for quilters and recently one of our members posted a call for help for a friend of hers. This friend lost all of her quilting supplies and fabrics in the recent Black Forest fires. Here is the message she posted: 

hello all..this is a special requiest on behalf of my friend Mary. Mary is an incredible seamstress/quilter who recently lost her home and the entire contents in the Black Forest fire this June.
I was her neighbour for 10 years, and we would run back and forth with our sewing projects. I learned so much from mary and she always had the time to put zippers in things for me, help me finish my custom orders, brainstorm new ideas for pillows, and admire what I had made. Mary had the perfect buttons from her stash of over 100 years of button collecting done by her Aunt and mother. She had elastic and thread that she always shared when I ran out and didn't want to drive all the way to town. She stayed up late helping me finish dance regalia for my daughter who powwow dances. We had SO many good times together quilting, sewing, laughing and talking. I miss that so much, and it breaks my heart to see how overwhelming life is for her right now.. We had moved to town in Dec after my daughter had baby twins-our old 100 year old cabin was lost as well-but fortunately, we had already moved. By the grace of God, I am spared the frustration, heartache and work that all my old neighbours are now facing daily as they put their lives back together.. Our little community is a strong one-but with 511 homes lost in the fire, there is nobody to trun to for help as all are affected.
think for a moment how you would feel if you couldn't retreat to your sewing room and create beautiful things. Mary had been working hard all Spring to make tote bags and vintage aprons to sell at local Farmer's markets..sadly, all her hard work went up in flames. All of her fabirc, notions, buttons, scissors, cutters...the list goes on and on was lost
I think she is most sad about her beautiful fabrics though...so here is where YOU come in..if you have anything to destash, or if you have duplicates/triplicates of sewing tools, notions, or accessories, and would be kind enough to mail it to me I will make sure I help her re-do her sewing room and that she gets back to sewing ASAP. Just a little about Mary..she LOVES bright colours, and she is an island kinda girl so she would love anything with an island theme. she adores batiks, and . her favourite colour is purple, but she also loves teal, and any shade of blue. She had lived in the forest for 48 years, so she also loves all things cabiny, woodsy, cowboy, horses, or forest wildlife. Flannel is great for Colorado projects. If you would rather i can also collect gift cards and let her pick what she needs.
They have rented a home in town and guess what-she will be my neighbor again!! I'll be able to run down the block and we'll both be thrilled to be back sewing together. 
If you would like to help, please know that she is the kind of person who would reach out and do the same for you.

I am gathering stuff up to help her out and have had a few people volunteer to help as well. Some ladies in the Etsy group are also sending stuff out. If you would .like to send stuff, I will volunteer my address to you in a private email. freckledotsquilts at gmail dot com is my email address. This is not a scam, spam, or anything else other than a call for help for a fellow quilter. I know it would rock my world to lose everything it has taken me years to acquire. And I'm certainly not in need of fabric right now!!! With 3 bookshelves, a dresser, and the bottom of my bar filled with fabric, it's not for me. :) So thank you in advance if you feel led to help out. God bless...

Tammy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 10:54 AM

Tammy

This is so sad.  I will see what I can do.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 7:55 AM

Tammy, I live in an area prone to wild fires.  Every year we wonder, will this be the year?  We have done much to make our home "fire wise" but know we could still lose it. 

I sent you a friend request, send me your address.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 6:29 PM

Tammy, I'll send you a friend request so you can give me your address.  My stash could use a bit of thinning out.  Just ask Nana.....she's been here and seen it.

Diana in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:45 AM

Thanks ladies. It brings great joy to my heart to know I'll be able to send her some things. 

Diana:

Tammy, I'll send you a friend request so you can give me your address.  My stash could use a bit of thinning out.  Just ask Nana.....she's been here and seen it.

Diana in East Tn.

That's too funny! Mine is the same way. I donated a bunch a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason new stuff finds its way back in. I'm so confused... :0

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 5:22 AM

Tammy,    Thanks for the PM with your address but will postman deliver without a last name??  Just asking.   I'm getting box of goodies together since blocks are mailed out. 
Thanks,

Diana in East Tn. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 5:36 AM

Ooops! So sorry! He will, yes, but I will send it right along to you. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 7:52 AM

Tammy send me your address thru private message and I'll send some things as well . How sad  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Points 10,720
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 8:07 AM

Tammy, your sweet and funny !!

PM me ( friend request), I will see what I can find to send.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:16 PM

Aw thanks. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 13,130

Tammy, I'll join in too. I have some duplicates of machine embroidery packages. Do you think she will get a machine that also embroiders?  I have a few duplicates of books too. LOL  Just too funny, I must have really liked those embroidery designs and books a lot to buy them twice. Hahaha!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 5:44 AM

I'm not sure what she has or will get, but I know I can ask Patti and see! I almost re-ordered a book off of Amazon yesterday too. I was thinking, "Man, that would be a great addition to my already overflowing shelves!" Apparently it was as I had ordered it almost a year ago. Went and looked and yeppers, sitting right there. Huh. Whatcha know? :) I didn't think about that, though. I'll have to see if I have, ahem, 'accidentally' gotten a couple duplicate magazines or books. That would be pretty cool to send. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 13,130

Sounds great. Sent you friend request for address. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 2,960
Linda replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 11:16 AM

Tammy,

I sent you an email to the address you posted and have not heard back. I would like to contribute some fabric. The email I sent was from my private email. I have two. One from family matters and one for quilting (playing :))  The fabric is boxed and waiting for an address.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 555
Tammy replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 1:28 PM

Sorry Linda I never got it. I will send you a message on here and we'll see if we can connect. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use