Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 2,430
nitchals Posted: Tue, Jul 16 2013 1:10 PM

So, I had this little baby quilt that I was quickly going to put together for a co-worker.  Decided to try Hobbs Fusible batting to take a shortcut and not have to pin before doing my machine quilting.  I had planned a simple diamond grid quilting pattern, marked up my top and set to quilting.  I had drama from the start with my tension, so I ripped out and re-started the line... three times.... ugh.  My practice piece had been fine, but it wasn't the same fusible batting.  Finally got the tension right and set off to "get it done."  I had checked the tension a few more times and all looked well.  Then after quilting about a third of it I noticed that the fabric was sagging between the lines... I started to worry and did a cross line of quilting... sure enough, puckers everywhere.  :(  I cried a few tears, grabbed my seam ripper and a glass of wine and sat in front of the TV for a few hours ripping it all out.  The best laid plans....

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,165
Flo replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 2:44 PM

I have found that short cuts aren't always faster and doing things old school worked for a reason!  I tried a short cut during piecing a while back and had to repurchase my fabric!  I feel your pain.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Sorry to hear it.  When that happens to me, I try to just go with the flow, but it sounds like you did pretty much the same.  :)  Hopefully, you don't have much of a deadline.

Raleigh, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 2,430
nitchals replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 9:15 PM

You are right, you just have to roll with it and use caution next time I have a big idea for a short cut. My deadline was going to be Monday (yesterday) because I was going to give it to a co-worker on her first day back from maternity leave.  I think a big part of my distress was because I knew that because of my short-cut I would now "miss" my deadline.   The quilt is now finished and getting it's first bath.  Better a few days late than never I guess.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 9:48 PM

I once sent off a quilt away from my home where a woman was going to quilt it for me, and when it came back it looked so bad. It was for a wedding gift and I tore the whole db quilt seams out. I then paid a woman that I knew would make it look nice and to this day, I don't think that my niece would have cared one way or another as she thinks that people just " whip up a quilt" in a day.

I have tried to get her into quilting so she can understand the work. It's funny though, she tired to tell me of a woman that can whip up lots of baby quilts in a week. I had washed the one this woman made for her and it did not hold up at all. Prior to that my niece tried to make me feel like this woman was better than me, I told her, I am not in competition with her or anyone and that there are many people that can quilt way better than me. That quilts are fun to make and are gifts from that persons heart.

...that is till you go to a quilt show...lol      

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 7:58 AM

The addition of a glass of wine makes ALL things better - lol. Sorry you had a problem. As others noted  - short cuts are not always shorter!!

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use