Top 10 Posters

HELP! needed to finish an applique project!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 110
jillz99 posted on Wed, Jul 10 2013 6:10 PM

Hi, I came to this site looking for help with an applique project.  If you are interested please email at jillzerrusen@yahoo.com.  Here is my dilema:

I started a quilt project months ago.  I have spent a ton of $$$ on supplies and fabric.  I've also spent a ton of time working on it to the point that I am at now.  And, I think that this will be a really nice quilt if I can finish it.  But, I am currently at a standstill and HATE that I may not ever get this project done without some help.  I've searched locally for help, with no luck.

There are a few pieces in this applique pattern that I am unable to createI am hoping to find someone with more applique experience than I have to help me finish this project by making these pieces for me. 

If you are interested in helping, I'd be so grateful.  Email me at the address above and I can explain in more detail what it is that I am needing help with.

THANKS! in advance.

Jill

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 110

I apologize for multiple posts about this.  I had computer problems.  Please only reply to this post, not the others.  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,839
gini replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:38 PM

what specifically do you need help with?   the pattern or the applique itself?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,839
gini replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:39 PM

or the sandwiching and quilting?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 110

the appliuque.  There are a couple shapes/pieces that I can't make.  (the long curved leaves, and the large blue circle in the middle).   I've made all of the other pieces myself and stitched them down (all but the center flower).  I need these pieces made so that I can stitch them to the applique part. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,384 Posts
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 8:52 AM

jiltz, that is a very pretty applique.  with the leaves and the blue circle, do you have the pattern?  Are you doing needle turn or fusible?  I am sure someone could cut it out for you.  By hand if nothing else.  Gini has taught many of us how to applique. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 110

I have a pattern.  I've cut the shapes out of that plastic template stuff and have been pressing the shapes around that template with my iron and starch.  Then blind stitching the shapes to my background fabric.

All of the shapes I've done on my own are fairly simple.  I've basted around the shape with needle and thread and pulled the thread tight around my template and starched and pressed.  This technique has worked well with the small petals and circles, but does not work for the larger curvy shapes.  I have tried to press around these larger templates without the needle and thread step, with no success.  I don't have the talent/experience/patience.

So close, yet so far from completing the applique part.  :(

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,384 Posts
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:04 PM

Here is one method.  There are several variations of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljl_O2aOT1M

Some (Gini) does and excellent job of needle turn, but I have fumble fingers and find using freezer paper much easier. 

The way I do it is to trace the pattern on the unwaxed side of the freezer paper, in reverse.  Iron that on the back of the fabric and cut around it, leaving a seam allowance of about 1/4 inch.     I also clip the curves.  After it is pressed I pin it in place and applique most of the piece, then remove the paper before doing the rest, so I don't have to cut the back fabric to get it out.  I am sure there are other good tutorials.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,839
gini replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:07 PM

Jill, I cut out a template, put it on the top of the appliqué fabric, right side.  Draw around the appliqué template on the fabric with a mechanical pencil or a white Nonce pencil.  If you put the fabric on a piece of fine grit sandpaper, it is easier to draw on.   Cut it out leaving about an 1/8 th inch seam allowance.  I finger press on th drawn line, I am pretty aggressive with this move and use my fingernails.   I would make a template of the inside curves of those long leaves, putting  registration marks for placement, and draw on  the  background, just  the inside curves.  That wasn't very clear.   I woul make one template of both the inside curves, the negative space, so to speak.

placeyour inside curve of the leaf, on that curved line you have drawn on the background and stitch that first.   You should have laid your leaf on the bias of the leaf fabric.  It will lay down more co operatively.   Pin the bottom of the leaf on that inside curve to the bottom of the drawn line.  Start stitching your leaf exactly where it lines up on the top of the background.   matching the lines as you stitch.  I don't know how long your leaf is.  You may need to pin along the length, and if you do, match the line on the leaf with the line on the background.   It may not look like it will fit, but if you have done your registration marks, it will fit fine.  I use a needle turn, and with the finger creasing, it should lay down nicely as you sew.  

I hope this is clear enough for you, if not i will rephrase it or find you a video.   Since you have done the rest of the appliqué, you have plenty of experience for this step.  It's all down to your tracing technique and getting the placement accurate.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,839
gini replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:25 PM

Another approach:

you can cut out the two leaves that curve towards each other together, treat them as one piece and leave the center between them.  Draw that shape,  the entire two leaves on the fabric, and cut out the ouside with your seam allowance.  Pin that piece in place, securely. Actually I would baste it.  Decide which leaf you want to start on and do the inside curve first.   Cut on the inside curve leaving seam allowance, about two inches ahead of your needle, make a few stitches, cut a little more, repeat.

and another approach:

you can treat that entire center leaf part as one piece.  Make a template of the outside and insideof all the leaves, it will be one large sorta circular template with curvy edges on the outside and those long curved edges on the inside.   Make registration marks where the leaves end.   Cut out the leaf fabric  on the outside, leaving the center uncut.  Center this on your background, and baste securely.  Stitch all the inside curves first with the cut as you go method above.   Actually you don't need to cut the outside of the fabric,  you can cut as you go with it too.

Let me know if I have confused you enough.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
2,574 Posts
Points 36,060
ls2116 replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 10:42 PM

The only applique i've done is with fusible then machine satin or blanket stitching.  good luck ,  and it looks great.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
535 Posts
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:40 PM

One method I love is taking non-fusible web and sew it on top of the right side of the fabric, then make a slit in the center of the web, and turn it under, then press...then sew it down on your pattern.   

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 110

Thank you, everyone, for the replies.  I do appreciate it.  But, I'm familiar with most of the techniques, and have seen all the video tutorials, etc.  I've tried to make these shapes and have not been happy with my results.  My work, to this point, is not perfect by any means, but I don't want to finish this project poorly and not be happy with the end results.  

I've been away from the project for so long and with the lack of success from my attempts, I've just lost the proper interest and patience to do a good job.  At this point, I'm really just hoping to find someone who can make the pieces for me.  I don't know if it is appropriate to say here (not sure of the rules of the forum), but I am obviously willing to pay for this help or trade or something.

Again, thanks for the time and advice though.  I'll keep looking.

Top 150 Contributor
535 Posts
Points 9,320
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 12:18 PM

I am not good on that type of thing, but I feel sure that you will find someone on here to help you.

BTW, quilts don't need to be perfect, but I bet your going to find a new friend .

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use