Top 10 Posters

need advice about starting quilting again

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Ocydroma posted on Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:13 AM

I started quilting about a year ago. My sister was imterested in learning also. So we found a local quilt store and a few others within an hour of our houses. We signed up for several different classes and joined the local guild.we enjoyed the classes, shopping and spending time together. My family bought a new larger house about 40  minutes from my sisters house. We still spent time together doing anything quilting but not as much as before the move. On February 27, 2013 my sister passed away due to a house fire. It was extremely hard to say the least. Our new house enables me to have a quilting room. The problem I'm having is everytime I want to go and sew, I go into my sewing room but can't get anything accomplished because I immediately think about the loss of my sister. I really want to get back into it but I'm having a hard time working through the emotions. 

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can actually go in my nice big room and actually sew? I know this is probably a strange request but I really need advice on getting my mind on something I really enjoyed doing. 

Thanks in advance

• | Post Points: 155

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
784 Posts
Points 12,625

My sympathies to you, Ocydroma.   Maybe if you started working on a project in another room to get started on the hobby first and then approach working in that room?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
784 Posts
Points 12,625

deleted

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,394 Posts
Points 19,330

Oh Ocydroma - I am so so sorry for your loss. My sister and I are 13 months apart and have always been very close. I cannot imagine how I would get through the loss of her. She doesn't quilt, but she sews so she can usually understand what I am talking about.  You have gotten some really helpful advice but I'm sure you will pick the way that suits you best. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,162 Posts
Points 15,470

Ocydroma, Im so sorry for the loss of your sister. I, also, lost my  darling sister  when she was 28 years old. That was 20 years ago and I still miss her. Grieve as long as you need to,dont try to rush the process, it is different for everyone. However, maybe you can make something in her memory for her family or for a charity. It sure helped me to work through my grief by thinking of how proud she would be knowing something good and special was coming out of such a tragedy. I hope this has helped and again Im so sorry for the loss of your sister.    Hugs, Susan

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Ocydroma replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 11:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. I will definately work on a memorial quilt. I had an idea that I'm also going to try. Rather than dwelling the death of my sister, I know someone that is pregnant with a little girl. So I will make her a crib blanketnto celebrate life!

This forum is by far the best. So many kind and caring people.I'm so glad to be part of it!

Can someone direct me to an upcoming swap?

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use