rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,735
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:51 AM

Debbie:
 I thought I would start with a Brother SE 400 machine as it does  a lot..  Anyone else have this machine?

Welcome Debbie, I have an SE 400 and use it just for the embroidery on my quilt labels. It is a good machine but as others have said it does have a small throat making FMQ very hard so a machine with a longer throat would be needed to machine quilt unless you plan on hand quilting. I would try to find the one with the longest throat area within your budget. You will be happier in the long run.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:38 AM

Hi Debbie, welcome to QCA, you have come to the right place for making friends and learning everytime you come online.

How many LQS in your area?  Check them all out and check out thier brand of machine and how they service them.  You want to buy from a dealer who is a certified servicer of your purchase.   No sending your machine off to the wild blue yonder.

I find Baby Lock dealers to be awesome to deal with.  They not only service your machine, but carry many of the extras you might want to but, they let you know about updates and upgrades.  

Check them out and then chose the one you like the best and join the club!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:17 AM

Hi Marjoeal, I am originally from Chilton County (Jemison).  I have been here for 20 years and live in Fort Morgan...as far west in Alabama as you can go!  Sea Quilt is the name of the shop, open Mon-Fri 10-5 pm.  You turn at Co Rd 4 at Publix red light just before coming into to Gulf Shores.  Go approx 2 miles and it's on your left.  Small sign and in her basement.  She appears to have lots of material and quilt accessories that you would need and books/magazines.  

Thanks for the welcome!  Hope to learn a lot from this site once I get started!! 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:26 AM

Thanks Nana!  I think the closest machine dealer is in Foley about 30 miles from me.  It's a Vac/Sewing machine place.  My problem is I live at the "country beach" of my area and I am 20 miles from main town so I have to travel a good distance to anywhere!  LOL   We love it though.  I am going to check with this place and see.  I think they carry Janome. I want to be able to do regular sewing, quilts and maybe applique.  Embroidery is not that important to me right now at least... I am not sure about these computer machines but they sure sound nice!  My budget is under $500 and a little less if I buy both my daughter's a machine which I plan to do as an early Christmas gift. They are going to take a beginner's class with me in a litlle shop I found in Gulf Shores which surprised me.  She sells everything but the machines!

Looking forward to learning from all you folks!

Debbie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:31 AM

Thanks Karla,  The Se400 got really good views on Amazon but so did the Singer 9960!  I am checking today with the nearest dealer of Janomes.  My budget is around$500 and I plan to buy both my girls a machine for an early Christmas so they can take beginner classes with me in August at a local shop I found here.

Thanks for the input!  

Debbie 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:33 AM

Hi Sukochi!  Pensacola is a nice town too.  I go there shopping sometimes.  Pensacola and Mobile takes me about one and a half hours to get too!  I live in Fort Morgan if you remember that area.  Looking forward to learning to quilt with my two daughters.!

Thanks,

Debbie

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use