Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb Posted: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:08 PM

Hi my name is Debbie and I a newbie for quilt making.  I make jewelry and paint but haven't sewn in a lot of years (since my kids were small).  I am in the process of getting me a new machine and all the "stuff" that go with quilt making.  I want to start on a T-Shirt Quilt first.  I believe I will learn a lot from joining this site!  I thought I would start with a Brother SE 400 machine as it does  a lot..  Anyone else have this machine? Will appreciate any comments.   It got a lot of good reviews online and it's in my budget as I am retired now!  I live 3/10ths of a mile from the beach so like beachy things!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:21 PM

Hi, Debbie, welcome. So envious of your life in Gulf Shores. We lived in Pensacola for awhile in early 1990's. Loved our trips down the road to Gulf Shores.

I have a Brother. First one, I got at Walmart for about $250.00.  It did everything. I finally got one with a bigger throat and so love it. Brother makes a great sewing machine.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Welcome Debbie,  this is a great group of ladies and you'll find they are very helpful!

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:53 PM

Welcome Debbie.  I can't offer any opinions on the Brother machine.  I haven't used a Brother for a number of years.   Enjoy your time with us.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:11 PM

I have a Brother SE400 and have been happy with it.  It is small enough to take to classes and retreats and does just about everything.  I use it mostly for the embroidery although I have taken it to a retreat once.  It has a rather small throat, so if you actually plan on doing the quilting with your domestic machine, you might want to find one with a bigger throat.  If you are just going to piece or do small embroidery, it is a great machine.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 702
Points 11,565
Bev replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:13 PM

Welcome Debbie, 

It is nice you live close to the beach.  You will love all the info and help you get from this site and the members here.

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:00 PM

Welcome Debbie.   There are so many machines to choose from.   Most important is probably having a dealer near by.   They can be very helpful. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,373
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:34 PM

Hi Debbie and welcome.  Enjoy your time with us!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:55 PM

Debbie, welcome to the club, .barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

Welcome Debbie - You will love it here. Everyone is so kind and helpful. I've learned so much on this site.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835

Thank you all for the great welcome!  Now I am confused as to which machine to get!  I checked out a Singer 9960 and really like all it's features.  I also found a quilt shop here in Gulf Shores!!!  I signed myself and my two daughters up for beginner classes starting in August.  The shop has tons of  quilting stuff too.  I was really happy about that.  I plan to buy both my girls the same machine as myself as their Christmas presents this year (Christmas will come early for them!).  I am leaning toward the Singer now because it has a lot of extras and prices are comparable.   I am not sure that I will do much embroidery so what do you ladies think of the Singer 9960???  Thanks for all your input!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

Hi Debbie, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:00 PM

Debbie

I haven't used one of the newer Singers.  I love my antique Singers but wasn't really pleased with my last newer model Singer.   I just didn't think it had the same quality as Singer used to have.  What price range and options are you looking for in a machine?  And do you have a reputable dealer with in house service in your area?   A good dealer is more important than brand.  Janome , Babylock, Pfaff, Bernina are all excellent machines and usually you can find some of their models that aren't too pricey.   See if you can find a good dealer of any brand of machine in your area and check out the machines he carrys.  

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 405

Hi Debbie! Welcome aboard. I feel funny saying that as I am new here, too. We are almost neighbors. I live in the woods of south Montgomery County, Alabama. I've been quilting for a couple of years which means I'm far from expert and while the SE400 is a great machine, you'll wind up wanting a machine with a larger harp (space between needle and motor column) on it. Especially if you are going to do any quilting yourself. Now, if you have access to a long arm or someone who can do it for you, don't worry. But then most of us who are hooked on quilting, never have all the machines we want. I'm working on my third all ready. BTW, what's the name of that quilt shop down there? Sounds like a good place to visit when hubby wants to surf fish! 8^)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:11 AM

welcome debbie

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use