Page 3 of 15 (217 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 216 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,673
Points 65,760
Bonita replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 6:33 PM

Thanks for the update on Marge, will keep her and her family in T&Ps.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 11:43 AM

Good Morning!  I just spoke to Lee, Marge P’s DH.  She is doing as well as can be expected and thanks you for all the T & P’s. 

I’ll try to summarize the info he gave me:

Due to prior radiation treatments, her femur was compromised and as one doctor said, “a break waiting to happen.”  He commented that if he had seen her pre-break x-ray, he would have recommended installing a pin preventatively under controlled conditions.  Sadly, that didn’t happen.

According to Lee, the surgery was far from normal…with the break  “not clean” (and her on warfarin) …and it took two surgeons almost all day Wednesday .  They had her up and out of bed yesterday (Thurs) and moving around a bit with help.  Right now, they are talking about assisted care after she leaves the hospital… probably this weekend.  That would be for a week or two and then to home.  (They are fortunate in that their home is a single level and they already have ramp and wheelchair access throughout the house including a walk-in shower in the master bath.)

There are still chances for complications, but our T & P’s aren’t going to let that happen!!! Right ???

She has a wonderful medical team including her oncologist, the orthopedists, and the surgeons - all working to get her back on her feet and healthy again.  Lee said that yesterday the oncologist wanted to re-start radiation therapy on the leg in 3 weeks (to “encapsulate” any possible cancer growth in the area) while the orthopedists wanted more time for the bone to heal before starting the radiation.  When he left, they were talking a compromise of 4 weeks. 

They will work it out and you can be assured she is getting the very best of loving care.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 11:58 AM

Sending continued prayers for Marge.  I met her and Lee once when they stopped by Fernley on their way back home and she appeared to be a strong person, physically, emotionally and spiritually.  I'm really praying hard for her recuperation.  I am so looking forward to spending time with her and Lee at the Oregon Retreat.  I hope everything goes well as we are scheduled to be room mates at the Oregon Retreat.

Please let her know that I am sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery and prayers for both of them for the strength to get through this.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,470
Agnes replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 12:46 PM

Thanks, Donna and of course, Lee, that you are keeping us informed. I also believe she is a wonderful and strong person. We originally "met" on another quilting forum and on her recommendation I signed up here. When my DH was first diagnosed with his cancer in Jan 2011  she made contact to offer support with reading material that had been helpful for her. There have been very few days since then that we have not emailed one another. I have not had the opportunity to meet  her and Lee. She has been my strongest support in all the trials life has handed me in the last few years. A truly beautiful person who has overcome many heath trials. Praying hard that she will mend back to normal state. Sounds like she has a very long road ahead of her.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,464
Points 116,640

Donna B:
Good Morning!  I just spoke to Lee, Marge P’s DH.  She is doing as well as can be expected and thanks you for all the T & P’s. 

Thank you for the update. I just found this thread. Marge will be in my thoughts and my heart and with so many positive prayers and vibes going out to her, she's bound to be just fine. Still, such a worry for her family. Lovely lovely lady.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:11 PM

Thank you for the update Donna. My prayers continue for Marge.  Hopefully this is something that will heal more quickly than anticipated - and without complications.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 9:39 PM

Thanks for the update Donna.  I am really glad now that she is in the room next to the "sandbox" at the retreat.  Tell her she will have several servants at her beck and call.  

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,464
Points 116,640

Patti:
Tell her she will have several servants at her beck and call.  

Absolutely. We can be her ladies-in-waiting.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:01 PM

Donna, how long ago did Marge have radiation for the cancer in her bones?  I thought it was knee surgery she was recuperating from last fall.  Can I ask if Marge had another type of cancer that traveled to her bones, or did they just find it there one day?  I'll be praying for her recovery daily.  I'll pray for Lee, too, as the caregiver.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:47 PM

Nancy, she did have knee replacement surgery last summer (both knees)...that had been delayed for years because the cancer treatment had taken precedent.  

Her latest bout with bone cancer was about 4-5 years ago and was a re-occurrence.  I believe the original diagnosis was about 20 years ago...early 1990's(?).

I honestly don't know all the details about that, so you had better wait for her on the details.

I just spoke with Marge about an hour ago!

She was tired, but in good spirits.  Lee had taken her laptop down to her and she had read your comments and thanks you all so much for your T’s & P’s.  She was just too tired after reading them all to do any responding.  But she will, as soon as she is feeling up to it!

She confirmed that the femur snapped…and that is why she fell. She did not fall and break her leg!    (Luckily she was on a sidewalk at the bottom of steps and fell into the flower bed.  If she had been up on the steps when this happened, there would be a lot more damage.)  (The bone definitely was weakened by the prior radiation therapy.)

They are planning on her being in a Rehab facility for 7-10 days before she comes home and she is fine with that.  Doctor’s orders are “no more weight on that leg than a toe-tap’’.  That will take some practice and getting used to before going home. 

Her goal right now is to be ready for the Oregon Coast Retreat in October.  All their summer plans before then are either cancelled or put on hold indefinitely. 

As Agnes said before, this is one incredible lady who has gone through so much and yet always has the best of outlooks on life.  I am so fortunate to be able to call her my friend…

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 11:13 PM

I worked with Marge back in the 80's.  She is a fantastic lady. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:20 AM

Donna B:
Lee had taken her laptop down to her and she had read your comments and thanks you all so much for your T’s & P’s.  She was just too tired after reading them all to do any responding.  But she will, as soon as she is feeling up to it!

Marge, if you're reading this, GET WELL SOON!  We are all cheering you on.  Imagine we are helping to hold you up as they put you through your paces in rehab.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:29 AM

I am so happy. Answered prayer with more to come. God is great!

She my need to exercise her hands and arms, too. Take that woman a sewing machine!! Now that's rehab at it's best.

Continued prayers from Cornerstone Church in Jasper, Ga. I asked for prayers Sunday. We are a prayin' bunch. Won't give up. So, Marge, you are surrounded by prayer warriors.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 8:21 AM

Donna

Thanks for the update.   When you talk to Marge let her know that I am thinking about her.   Big hugs coming her way.  Many prayers being said.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 8:56 AM

Prayers do make a difference.  22 years ago when my husband was killed in a tractor accident, leaving me with a 3 year old girl, people prayed across the country!   I actually physically felt the prayers.  I was indeed lifted up, and literally had days I could not feel my feet touch the ground.  God is good.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 3 of 15 (217 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use