rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 345
Amy Posted: Sun, Jul 7 2013 11:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a new granddaughter coming in 4 weeks (yikes, I need to get going on this quilt). It is quite a surprise to get a girl in the mix....we are so used to boys for a number of generations!

I am ready to start cutting pieces for a baby quilt. It will be made of flannel. Since flannel ravels so easily, any good tips/suggestions? Should I stitch a larger seam? Should I use a pinking blade or will that be too difficult to get the seam allowances accurate? Should I use some sort of stitch that has an overcast edge, or would that give the seam too much bulk?

Any help would be appreciated. As you can see, my mind is spinning. I need to start working on this as soon as I can. 

Thanks!

Amy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello Amy , first you should read about the properties f flannel. I wrote the article several months ago .
 I sew with flannel all the time. I make baby blankets as well as other items Pj's and such from good flannel. You should wash and press, not iron it before cutting it out. make sure the straight of grain is trued up. you can use starch and wash it out after the item is finished. In TX a front and a back of flannel is all we need. you will not need a batting for this one.there are great tutorials on making blankets from flannel, one you tube search will take you a long way.
using a 1/2" seam allowance is OK but not necessary if your fabric is trued up.  I like a walking foot to sew flannel because of the thickness and probably use a 3/8ths seam allowance, if I think of it.  Hope this helps.
I'm going to ask Barbara where the article is on the flannel. sorry it was not in pages when I went there jus t now.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 6:51 AM

I tried the QCA search using "flannel Caryl Anne" and it brought up this discussion.  You may need to scroll down to find Caryl Anne's response with the flannel info.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/p/38626/496431.aspx#496431

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 345
Amy replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:05 AM

Thank you Caryl Anne for the info and the article. And thank you MN Nancy for the link. I did read your article last night after I posted my questions. I don't mean to sound stupid.....to true up the straight of grain do you just match the salvages and then line your ruler up on the fold and cut your straight line from the fold to the salvage? That's how I always start my projects but don't know the technical term for it. What do you do if the pattern in the flannel does not run exactly straight with this first cut that you make? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 454
Points 7,250
Julienne replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 10:04 AM

Amy:

Thank you Caryl Anne for the info and the article. And thank you MN Nancy for the link. I did read your article last night after I posted my questions. I don't mean to sound stupid.....to true up the straight of grain do you just match the salvages and then line your ruler up on the fold and cut your straight line from the fold to the salvage? That's how I always start my projects but don't know the technical term for it. What do you do if the pattern in the flannel does not run exactly straight with this first cut that you make? 

Amy...You never sound stupid on these forums. We have all asked questions that in our own mind may sound dumb but that is how we get the answers and learn. That is why we are here. Nothing s dumb or stupid. Trust me!!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:10 AM

Amy:
What do you do if the pattern in the flannel does not run exactly straight with this first cut that you make? 

Amy, I'm also waiting for an answer to this question. (I hate it when this happens...lol!)  

Let's hope one of the more experienced quilters will respond.  

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use