Bag lining closure

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr Posted: Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:45 PM

I have been making quite a few bags lately and I am wondering what the best way is to finish off the lining of a bag. Once I turn the bag from the inside out through an opening in the lining I have been using my bernina blind hem foot #5 and stitching close to the edge. Does anyone have any other suggestions or even photos of how they finish their bags? FYI.... I HATE to hand sew things so I am looking for machine sewn options. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 4:10 PM

I've hand sewed a few in the past, but now I stitch them like you do.  It seems to be stronger, does not show because it is at the bottom of the inside of the bag, and is so much easier.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

I don't hand sew anything, fingers don't work well. I make my opening in the side of the lining not the bottom because that is where I place my labels when I sew that area. I use a open toe clear  foot just shift the needle as far as possible or just watch the edge of the fabric. very easy to do with out a specialty foot. I only leave a 6" or so opening to turn. before I o the stitching I do press that closed so it is easier to keep that thin line of stitching. I have a image here for you. muslin lining in a shoe travel bag

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use