Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 565
Capegirl Posted: Wed, Jul 3 2013 6:49 AM

My name is Judy and I live in a town in Southern Worcester County in Massachusetts. I just retired from 34 years of teaching middle-school students - all but one of those years in a large Christian school. I am thrilled now that I will have time for charity work. My number one goal is to create small quilts for people in need. My wonderful quilt guild (Thimble Pleasures) provides us with many opportunities to create things that can be given to those with health problems and other life challenges. We have a "Comfort Committee" that coordinates things.

My favorite quilting experience so far has been participating in my guild's row robins. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone, learning new techniques while participating. I am hoping to learn more by joining Quilters' Club of America!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,395

Welcome Judy (capegirl). I am sure you will love it here. There are a wonderful group of people here that I just love and have become good friends with that have wonderful advice. We are all at different levels and it is alot of fun. Enjoy!

Julienne - Mid Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:59 AM

Judy ,welcome to the club. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 1,035

Hello Judy,

Congratulations on your retirement! I retired two years ago from serving at a large Christian Day School in Southern California. Being retired is grand!  I am excited about  charity quilts and scrappy quilts  that have been my focus lately.

My church group is a chapter of Prayers and Squares International.    Making those quilts is So So rewarding to my spirit.  The last quilt was to a 10 year old girl who was having brain surgery. My church group is amazing, all ages and all levels.  We meet monthly for an all day sew.  I also jointed a freindship group at a local quilt store too. This was an opportunity to  meet new people and their support and assistance.  

Enjoy your retirement and happy quilting!

Adele

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:21 AM

Welcome Judy Capegirl!  Another retired teacher, here.... LOVING having free time to quilt!  You're really not retired, you know, until September.  Right now it's just your normal summer off.  LOL

I'm happy to hear your guild is so involved in comfort quilts.  I was in charge of charity quilting for our guild last year, but I didn't find many members interested in helping.  A few of us made twin-sized quilts for the homeless, chemo hats, walker and wheelchair bags, and my personal favorite, fidget quilts for long-term care patients who need tactile stimulation to calm themselves.  Here is a link to our fidget quilt info:

Fidget quilts

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Judy - You will love it here. Everyone is so kind, friendly and very generous with help and suggestions and just friendship.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:40 AM

Judy

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:02 AM

Welcome Judy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 4:02 PM

Hi Judy, welcome!  I'm from MA also and was wondering what town you are from?  My town is Millbury.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 565

I live nearby in Whitinsville!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 4:25 PM

Judy, that's a hop skip and a jump from me!  Maybe we could get together some day?

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:20 PM

Oh, Judy, you don't know Marie yet, but we've known her here for years now, and she is so much fun!  After chatting with her online, I finally got to meet her at a retreat in Virginia Beach, and she is just as delightful as I assumed she would be.  My husband loves her, too!  You definitely should take her up on the offer to get together!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Welcome Judy

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 9:10 AM

Hi Judy.  Glad you can join us, and congratulations on your retirement.   What I  love most about working less (not quite retired) is having more time for quilting.  I have also been thinking about doing more charity work and like many of the ideas that have come up here.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 1,035

I love the idea of a Fidget Quilt.  They would be a great project for church group.  I'm sure we could find a long term care facility that would welcome these qults.  I'm sure I have things that would be great for this quilt.  I plan to bring Fidget Quilts up at our next meeting. Thanks so much for posting.    

Adele

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use