Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 85
Judy Marshall Posted: Tue, Jul 2 2013 8:51 PM

Hi there all you Quilters! My name is Judy M. ( aka: Desert Ratress) and this is my first attempt at participating in a forum. I am 74 and have been quilting and sewing since I was nine. That doesn't mean I am the best at any of it, but I love it and have fun with it. I belong to a Quilting & Arts & Crafts Club here in the High Desert and we do charity donations to social services for under privileged children and battered Moms. But we also quilt for ourselves and our families. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 9:45 PM

Welcome Judy!  What is your favorite style of quilt to sew? Does it get cool enough in the desert to enjoy pulling a quilt up?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 9:51 PM

Judy, welcome to QCA.  I bet you are really roasting down there right now...lol!  We were around 100 degrees in Washington State today.  Where are you at in the Mohave?  We get down that way every couple of years in the early spring.  Enjoy QCA and please post pictures of your quilts and other projects.  We love pictures here!!!  Be sure and check out the Groups section for groups of members working on specific projects or having specific interests in common.  Lots goes on here!

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Welcome Judy - You will love it here. We were up to 102 today in the northern Sierras. How hot does it get where you are? Can't wait to see some of your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 10:20 PM

Welcome Judy.  this is a great place to visit.  I have made a lot of friends here.  Thankfully we are not quite as hot here as where you are, but only by a few degrees. 

looking forward to seeing  your quilts.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,362
Points 415,009
gini replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 11:00 PM

Hi Judy.  Welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 5:08 AM

Judy , welcome to the club.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,652
Points 136,017

Hi Judy, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:54 AM

Welcome Judy.  Lived at Ft. Irwin for a year when DH was in the Army, now live in the Northern Nevada desert...temps here this week have been quite warm....109-111 every day.  We are supposed to be in a slight cooling trend starting today, prediction is for only 105 today and 101 tomorrow, then back down into the upper 90's.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:32 AM

Hi Judy and Welcome!

I went to Victorville High School and lived in Lucerne Valley.  That was in early 60's.  Loved it there and cried buckets when we moved.  Never been back, it was barely a whistle stop in the road, a gas station,a little store with post office inside it, and a dance hall (we loved going to the dance hall because all those handsome Marines from Barstow came to dance all night.  The whole family went there every Saturday and we danced to a live band.  The little kids safely had the run of the place while my sister and I drank cokes and flirted with the guys.  Can't do that nowadays.  It was a different world when I was a teenager, so much fun and total innocence.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,848
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:40 AM

Glad to have ya, Judy. Happy 4Th to you and yours.

Will you pweeze post some pics of your work? We love to SEE quilts. Quilting is a visual art form.

You have been a quilter/sewer about all your life. How very great. I didn't start this until 2007. Wish I had much earlier. One reason: fabric was cheaper!!!

Hope you enjoy your time with us crazy quilters.

;D

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:44 AM

Hi Judy M.,

Greetings to you in the Great Mojave Desert, CA!  The most recent heat wave had to be brutal for you. 

It is cool where I am today and I'm baking bread to go with our holiday picnic.

I started some sewing as a young child, didn't do it for a long while and picked it back up again.  I'm learning all over again in my retirement and having lots of fun too. I consider myself a beginner when compared to the awesome talent on this forum.  The members here are the nicest people I've ever found.

I spend hours browing the online galleries.  It is also a lot of fun to watch the retreats that are spontaneously put together by QCA members.  I hope to go to another one soon.

Quiltless (no more)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use