Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 245
Debi Posted: Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:58 AM

Hi my name is Debi.  I joined the Quilters Club of America tonight and I am anxious to read everything.  I am a true beginner.  I can't sew.  I have taken sewing classes 5 different times and its just not for me.  It hasn't stopped me from wanting to though.  I started looking at quilts and fell in love with the fabrics I saw.  I began reading quilting books and to practice sewing straight lines.  Then along came the fabric.  Oh my gosh the fabric!  I wanted it all!!!!!  I went to Yards of Fabric and saw a quilt I would love to do.  The owner was so kind.  She spent 3 hours with me just talking and giving me tips.  I knew that was where I was going to buy my fabric for my first quilt.  I did go back and buy it.  My sister owns a monogram store, called Monogramming by Sherri.  Please visit her site on facebook.  She is the best sister in the world.  She gave me a sewing/embroidery machine that she used years ago.  I had to wait months to get to TN to get it.  I'm in Michigan.  She also gave me so much fabric and other items that there was only a little hole to see out of my Van's back window.  First thing I did was take it in to be serviced.  Thats where it is now.  They told me that my machine was worth about $1,000.  I was stunned because its 10 years old.  I've got to admit I am a little scared.  On the one hand I am determined to make a quilt and be good enough to make one for my sister as a thank you.  On the other hand, I'm scared to make my first cut of my fabric.  I got a Take 5 pattern.  I was told that was a good starter quilt.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Ok I have said enough.  I look forward to getting to know everyone and thanks for listening.  Oh I should get my machine back Monday or so. ;) 

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 5:27 AM

Hi Debi, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:11 AM

Debi,welcome to the  club.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Welcome Debi.  I think and hope you will enjoy quilting and this group

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,396
Points 23,275
Debbie replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:47 PM

Hello, Debi - love your enthusiam!  I would say, don't be scared about cutting the fabric - there's always something we could make from the scraps. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:50 PM

Hi Debi, welcome to our group.  We were all beginners once, and I only consider myself a practiced beginner but getting better all of the time because of the wonderful encouragement, support and assistance I get from this group.  I know you will like it here.  As far as quilting, you've just got to jump right in and start.  Measure carefully and sew as straight as you can, and you'll be surprised at the results.  We all spend a lot of time taking things back apart, so don't give up, just keep going and everything will become easier and better.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,468
Points 50,050
Ginny replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:14 PM

Debi, I am from Michigan too. Whereabouts are you?  I live in Waterford.  Happy quilting.   All I can say is enjoy the ride.  What kind of Machine did your sister give you?     Ginny

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:22 PM

Welcome to the club Debi

I think I will always consider myself a newbie.  I've been quilting for 2 years now but learning every step of the way.  My ways are unorthodox for sure, but I am trying to get more traditional with every new piece I make.

Sometimes I feel funny welcoming people here because I am also new from the past 2 or 3 months.  But it seems so easy to chat with the ladies here and I wanted to extend the welcome wagon too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 4:38 PM

Hi Debi, welcome!  How exciting for you being a beginner.  You have come to the best quilting site online.  Before you know it you'll be an experienced beginner with the help you'll be getting here  from our members.  Good luck, I can't wait to see your first project.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 245
Debi replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 8:32 PM

Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome.  I know I am going to love it here.  I wasn't sure how to post again so I hope everyone sees this.  Ginny I live in Lansing.  Not sure how far that is from Waterford.  The machine Sherri gave me is a Brother ULT2003D Disney Pacesetter Sewing and Embroidery Machine.  They didn't call today so I guess I won't be getting it back until Monday or Tuesday.  Can't wait.  Am I posting this in the right place?  Hope so.  :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 245
Debi replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 8:36 PM

I just checked Ginny.  Waterford is only 62 miles from me.  I love going to Howell and Brighton and looking at the quilting shops.  Thats halfway.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 506
Points 7,955
Joyce replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 8:48 PM

Hi Debbie yes you did right in posting.  I think you will do fine in quilting.  There are lots of videos on utube also that have been a help to me.  I read instructions on cutting the fabric on here and watched on the videos.  Hope you get your machine back soon.

Joyce from Md.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 8:57 PM

Debi, how exciting to be just starting in the world of quilting.  I hope you will love your new sewing machine.  How sweet of your sister to set you up like that!  Debbie already pointed out that any fabric cutting mistakes can be saved for scrappy quilts.  I want to point out that sewing mistakes can be easily unsewn.  Have you invested in a seam ripper?  Don't hesitate to use it!  We call it frogging - rip it, rip it.  Get it?

Is Yards of Fabric close to your home?  It will be nice for you to have someone to run to with questions.  Of course, we love to answer questions here, too, so come chat with us often.

...and welcome to QCA!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:38 PM

Debi, you have started on a grand adventure.  Once you see fabric you love, you are hooked.  and we are here to answer any questions or refer you to other sources.  This is a great group!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,468
Points 50,050
Ginny replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:39 PM

Okay Debi now you have me curious- 62 miles in what direction?  I have been to 2 of the shops in Howell, one of which has closed now.  I know there is another one, I think it is Monarch Quilts?- not sure, but I do know they have a long arm quilting machine that can be used after you take a lesson or 2 on it.  We just might have to meet up somewhere sometime.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use