Have you used this ruler/ cutter?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
814 Posts
Points 15,455
Carol from Pittsburgh posted on Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:47 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the Sew Easy ruler that has the built-in rotary cutter? It looks like a good idea but is still expensive even with the $30 off.  I don't know if I want to spend the $40 on it if I haven't read any reviews.  Do I need another ruler? No. Do I want another ruler? Of course!  Here's the info about it:

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/rulers_display.asp?i=43419

( sorry- I can't ever get a link posted from the iPad) 

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:17 AM

I have something similar for cutting paper.   It looks useful, but not that much new innovation in it that I would think warrants the price.  At least the full price. 

If I were to get some new fabric cutting thingy, it would be the Quiltcut fabric cutting system.  Looks very, very accurate for cutting straight or any angle.  Yes, I think I would saves towards that.  Still would use the usual rotary cutter.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
701 Posts
Points 13,295

I haven't used one but it does look like the ones you use for paper. I'm thinking where to store it and protect the blade when storing it? That's the problem with my one for cutting paper. This one may be different though. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:44 AM

Wow, now I have two more things on my quilting wish list.

For the DISCOUNTED price I actually DO like the looks of the SewEasy unit. I have spent $17 on just one square ruler, so having the rotary cutter onboard is a plus for me because I don't have a rotary cutter that's worth anything yet.  I have a tiny 28mm one that I did try to use for my crazy quilt, but ended up cutting with scissors most of the time anyway.  I also have the paper cutting thingy that looks just like this and it works really good for me for paper, so it stands to reason it would work good for fabric too?

If I happen to come upon a huge lump of extra cash I absolutely adore that Quiltcut system.  WOW, is all I can say about that!  It would be like having the ultimate cutting tool for me.

Thanks for showing me a couple more things to lust after.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,383 Posts
Points 20,740

Never heard of that one, but that little slide thing looks too flimsy... Seems like it would be hard to push through more than a layer or 2 of fabric... idk.  

I'm saving to someday have a die cutting system for my scraps!  :)  

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,979 Posts
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 5:58 PM

Eleanor Burns uses this in many of her videos but I don't know of anyone who has one. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
814 Posts
Points 15,455

Michelle:

I'm thinking where to store it and protect the blade when storing it? That's the problem with my one for cutting paper.

According to the info on the Quilt in a Day site, the 45mm blade retracts, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm still considering ordering one. I keep telling myself that I need to quit buying these things!  My second granddaughter will be born in September and I'll be buying lots of stuff for her. I'm still planning her quilt. Maybe I'll use a new Sew Easy contraption to cut the pieces.  Thanks everyone for your input.  If I get one I'll let you all know if I think it's any good.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
814 Posts
Points 15,455

I did get the Sew Easy ruler/cutter and I really like it. It makes it easy for me to cut straight when I get to the far end of cutting WOF pieces since the rotary blade is attached.  I used it today to cut through two layers of fabric and batting after I quilted them. (I quilted the fabric for a pillow before cutting it to size.) It cut through the layers quite well.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 340

I watched a video of it in use on youtube......doesn't look like a left handed person, like me, could use it very easily.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,383 Posts
Points 20,740

Thanks for reporting back to us!  Glad to hear that it works well for you. 

Raleigh, NC

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I purchased one of these and returned it.  It looked awesome on the video - appeared to cut easily through the fabric.  Didn't work that way for me.  I have bursitis in my shoulder and it was painful to use because I had to put so much pressure on the blade to get it down far enough to touch and cut the fabric.  Looks like a fantastic idea, but didn't work as easily as I had hoped  My friend has the Quilt Cut 2 and it's fantastic!  It's expensive, but very accurate and easy to use.  You use your own rotary cutter to cut the fabric so, in my case, I didn't have to put any added pressure on my shoulder.  As an aside, it appeared that the one I purchased had been used.  I contacted the business I had purchased it from, and she said maybe it just needed to be adjusted.  Found no way to adjust it, so just returned it.  Disappointing!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,551 Posts
Points 47,800

gailani@mac.com:
 Found no way to adjust it, so just returned it.  Disappointing!!
That's to bad. If it were me I would purchase another one from someone else. I use mine all the time. It is especially good for long cuts, like strips. For small things I don't bother with it. I was given a used one. I ordered  a couple of new pieces for it and am quite pleased with it. I would not be pleased to pay full price for a used one, especially if it didn't work right.

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 20
Jo replied on Tue, Nov 26 2013 4:01 PM

Hi, yes I broke down and bought the Sew Easy Ruler Cutter.  ON SALE though.  I used it this weekend at a retreat and I liked it.  The only thing you MUST remember the aluminum guide is 11/2 inches and you must follow the measurements properly on the ruler.  For cutting larger peices I used the measurments on the cutting mat.  I don't normally do that but I measured the mat with my other rulers and it was accurate.  The blade is spring loaded so when you do not have pressure on the blade it pops back up safely against the aluminum frame.  Did not have problems with it slipping like I have had with other rulers.  So did not put grippy on the underside.  I give it a 2 thumbs up.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use