a question/dilemma from a newbie

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
nursewratchet Posted: Thu, Jun 20 2013 8:46 PM

Hi all,  I lost my 98 year old grandma last year.(Gran)  She was an award winning quilter.  She quilted all by hand, the amish way, as she called it. She was working on a quilt at the time of her death.  It is all hand pieced, and put together, top, batting and bottom, on an 8 foot wooden quilt frame.  She started the quilting on it.  I am a fabulous seamstress, and although I do quilt, not my strongsuit.  I've inherited both the quilt frame and the unfinished quilt.  It was started for my grandson.  Does anyone know of anyone who would be willing to finish the quilting, in trade for the frame.  I can bind it myself.  It is very sentimental to me, my grandson as well as the entire family.  We all want it finished, but I dont feel like I would be able to honor her, and this quilt like a "real quilter" could.  Please ask around.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Vicki Weinman, RN

210 313 2931

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 8:55 PM

Nurse R

Just my HMO, but I think you should make a serious effort to quilt this one yourself.  What an awesome tribute to a beloved lady, as you put in the time and effort your hand quilting will naturally improve.  Your and your family would then have a true family heirloom to pass down for generations.

BTW I'm so sorry four your loss, but 98 is a very long lifetime, you will have many memories of her and that last quilt top will give you time to reflect on your grandmother and your love of her.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

Thanks.  She was an amazing woman, and taught me so much. She was a retired nurse, drove until she died. She worked at the senior center, and taught quilting.  She taught me to sew, which supported my family before I became an RN.  I've been looking at it for a year, all st up in my sewing room.  Havent been able to touch it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,370
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:33 PM

Have you checked with any of the quilt shops in your area to see if they know of anyone that does hand quilting?  Guilds in your area may be able to help as well.   That will be an awesome heirloom when finished.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

Good idea.  I will have to research it.  I dont know any here in san antonio.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 750

Nurse R 

I am gonna go out on a limb here and agree with Joni. Not only would it be a tribute to your beloved grandmother but your grandson will get a double bang! He will have something he can actually hold that his great great grandmother wanted made specially for him!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 6:55 PM

You can get a quilter's name from the Greater San Antonio Quilt Guild, they keep a list of hand quilters, or used to anyway, when I lived there.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

Thanks! Will check it out.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use