Need advice on mixing woven plaids with printed plaid fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355
Denise Smart posted on Thu, Jun 20 2013 10:17 AM

I am selecting fabrics for my next bargello quilt. I really want to use both woven plaids, which are much more loosely woven and stretchy, with some printed plaid and some polka dot s fabric. Is there a way to reduce the stretch of the woven plaid? Maybe a sizing, freezer paper, a stabilizer??

Why am I doing such a crazy thing? Because I think they look pretty together.

If you have any experience with this please lend me some advice.

Thanks

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 10:23 AM

I hope Gini sees this because she has a lot of experience working with the homespuns.  

Your bargello sounds ambitious.  Good luck!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 11:04 AM

If I were to mix woven/homespun fabrics with regular ones I would definitely wash them all first, I'm thinking that the homespuns might shrink at a different rate than regular fabrics.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,909
gini replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 11:17 AM

go for it,   they are slightly more temperamental.    the homespuns shrink a lot.  i would prewash them and the homespuns will come out very wrinkly so try to take them out of the dryer before they are too crumpled.  they should work just fine after that.  after you cut them, handle them as little as possible because they fray a bit more than regular cotton.   i stay stitch the homespuns if i am using them for applique, but piecing will be ok. 

i keep saying i hate homespuns, but i love the look so much that i keep using them.   they make me a tad bit grumpy sometimes. 

because they are more loosely woven,  they will wear out in a quilt much more quickly than regular quilting cotton, so i wouldn't use them for a binding 

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Thanks Gini. The homespuns are so pretty but I could tell they were going to be more of a challenge.

Denise Smart

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

Yikes!  Here's wishing I hadn't read this.... lol.  I just made a pieced backing partially out of homespuns... And I'm already mostly done with the quilting so it's too late to go back now... but still early enough that I have a ways to go before I'll know how it will turn out.  

I was pretty nervous about it... Should have asked for help first.  Hopefully, the shrinking doesn't cause big problems.  I don't normally pre-wash anything.  Oh well.  I'm sure I won't mind if it has some "character".  I never do.

Good luck with yours.  It sounds like you're getting great advice.

Raleigh, NC

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Actually after reading all the advice I chickened out and replaced the homespun selections with printed plaids to match the other fabrics. I was willing to deal with different stretch rates, and different shrinkage, but when I learned the homespuns would also wear out faster I thought no way. Glad I asked first.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use