backing material

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
dee88 Posted: Wed, Jun 19 2013 9:58 PM

I am pretty traditional as a piecer, all 8 quilts I have completed. Haha.  My great nephew, who will be 3 this summer LOVES all things "silky". Is it feasible to think I could back this quilt with some kind of silky material, or do I use my good cotton, knowing someday he might outgrow this phase? My thought was to use cotton to back, and satin to bind, knowing I will bind it again in years to come. HELP!!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 685
Points 11,770
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 10:12 PM

I would go with what he loves. My older nephew still loves the silky feeling things, and he is now 20. I still recall my favorite blanket as a child, it was very soft yarn and had the satin binding.  

I do have one question for you, does he live in a cold part of the country? I love cotton all the way through- summer -winter, but in some areas of our country it is better to use other materials. Just my thought.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

zoetc49:
I would go with what he loves. My older nephew still loves the silky feeling things, and he is now 20.

I agree with zoetc49. My daughter is 36 and still love silky feeling clothing and blankets. With my nieces and nephew and great nieces and great nephews, I have no problem re- mending any time. I don't have any grandchildren so I do all this for the great extended family I have.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, Jun 19 2013 10:48 PM

Hi dee, welcome to the group.   I would go with what he loves.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 13,340
Michelle replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 6:10 AM

I agree with others. Use what they like. My children have the first ones I made for them, 34 years ago. They loved silky also and I used it on the back. Didn't know you weren't supposed to!y husband still has his from 62 years ago, pretty well worn and loved and the whole thing was silk. He still loved silk. For my niece who has downs, I used a combo of silk and minky on the front in the dashing between the blocks and minky on the back. She loves the feel of different fabrics. So my feelings are if the quilts are used, washed and loved that is what matters. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:24 AM

Dee

I would back with cotton and then use the silky blanket binding.  I made one for my grown son with the traditional blanket binding that you can get at JoAnn's because he had always loved his "silkies" as he called them.  It worked great and looks fantastic.  

I don't know that a "silk" backing would hold up very well.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 730

I've been afraid to try 'silky'.  What did you use? 

I usually use flannel so it is soft and cuddly but silky would be nice too.

marge

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 10:26 AM

If he likes soft, slippery textures, what would you think of minky on the back and something silky as the binding?

...and welcome to QCA, Dee!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
dee88 replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 12:07 PM

He is in southern Illinois - south of I-70. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 474
Points 7,545
Julienne replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 2:00 PM

Dee88 I used to live in southern IL bu the St. Louis Area. I can get kinda cold there still in the winter. Not much snow it is more of an ice area.

Julienne - Mid Missouri

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use