Top 10 Posters

How to find fabric that has a repeat pattern of 17"?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
535 Posts
Points 9,320
zoetc49 posted on Wed, Jun 5 2013 11:21 PM

I saw on ebay a quilt made from a design called Faceted Jewels by Glad creations , it is so pretty !! I saw that it is part of kaleidoscope pattern.I bought a book today that calls for a large pattern, the FJ, does not. I have not decided which I will do, but if I do the kaleidescope that calls for a  repeat pattern of at least 17 inches. How do you find that?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,384 Posts
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 11:41 PM

You might try looking at fabric with large prints, like large floral prints.  Equilter.com  has some fabric in that category. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727

I agree with Patti.  When I was preparing to do a kalaidescope quilt (or stack 'n whack or one block wonder), I set off to the quilt store to find a large, vibrant print.  Usually these patterns have yardages listed for differing repeat lengths.  It could be tricky to shop for something that has an exact 17" repeat.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Points 1,185

I don't know if you have had your question answered, but pick a fabric with a flower on it along the fold and go along the fold until you find an exact repeat of the same flower.  Then you simply measure from one flower to the other.  That's the length of your repeat.  It's easy when someone explains it, and any good fabric shop employee will also know how to do this.  I find this kind of pattern takes more fabric than normal, but it's probably just like matching patterns for upholstery, etc.  I hope this helps you......karen j jones

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,384 Posts
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 7:54 AM

Might this work?  I found this on equilter.com.  If the peacock is 13 inches long, I wonder what a full repeat would be.

Peacocks are about 13", with gold metallic, from the 'Plume' collection by Timeless Treasures.

TTPLU4OX

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
535 Posts
Points 9,320

Patti, that is very pretty !! Thank you for that idea!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 3:20 PM

Patti:

Might this work?  I found this on equilter.com.  If the peacock is 13 inches long, I wonder what a full repeat would be.

Peacocks are about 13", with gold metallic, from the 'Plume' collection by Timeless Treasures.

TTPLU4OX

I have got to dig through my stash, I know I have some of this fabric.  Bought it cuz' I love it so, but didn't have the slightest idea what I would use it for.  I do have a lot of that kind of fabric though.

Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Points 1,185

This won't work because there is only one peacock.  But it is gorgeous!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:18 PM

swedeami

the fabric has more than one peacock.  They are just several inches apart.   The grouping also has a panel that you can buy along with several coordinating fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 1,895

If you look at the selvage, the little dots that show the colors used are exactly one repeat of the pattern apart. Makes measuring very simple.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,098 Posts
Points 24,750
Agnes replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:28 PM

Patti:

TTPLU4OX

It's absolutely gorgeous. My only question would be how big those solid black areas are. For the repeating blocks like stack and whack or one block wonders the black could be a problem, depending on where it falls. I always look for something quite busy, busier than for any other quilts. When it states more than 17", 24" repeat would work. You just would end up with more scraps for another project. This type of quilt means you might have to buy more fabric, because if you need 8 repeats you would need 8 yards if it is 24" repeats. If the repeats were 17' then 4 yards would cover the 8 repeats. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,649 Posts
Points 135,942

You don't have to use the peacock as your repeat you can use any print on the fabric, that repeats

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
535 Posts
Points 9,320

You all are so great !!

I went to two quilt stores today just to see what else was out there, this by far is the best color choice.

Karla, since you have this, can you measure how far apart the design is? I really have no business buying fabric for a quilt when I have one I need to be working on and also I have at least 5 projects in the quilt closet that I told myself I would get done this year---it's so not going to happen ...LOL  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:48 PM

I'll see if I can work my way into the quilting room and look for it.  I have so many tubs full of fabric that it may take a little bit of time to find it.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use