rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 231
Points 3,565
Pat Posted: Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:07 PM

•  
    • I am so frustrated right now.  My automatic threader is broken.    I am using a very fine needle and fine thread.   Anyone got any tips for threading.....I just can't seem to thread it.    Pat

Pat   From Canada

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:33 PM

The quickest way to thread a needle is wet the needle, not the thread.  Sounds weird but it really works.  Wet your finger a bit, wipe back of needle, put thread near eye.  The thread should be pulled right into the eye.  I use this all the time whether the sewing machine needle or hand needle.  Works like a charm every time.  I've never been able to work a sewing machine threader  and this works faster and better. 

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365
Shirley replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 8:11 PM

My original needle threader on my Bernina broke after 10 years and I was really lost for a while until I got a new one.  I would suggest a few simple solutions you can try.  First, remove the presser foot if you can and place white paper underneath the needle so you can see what you are doing.  Second, switch to a needle with a larger eye.  A topstitch needle has a much larger eye than a regular needle, so it is much easier to thread. I have found size 70 topstitch needles and use them all the time now.  Third, there are manual needle threaders meant for use with sewing machines ( I haven't had much luck with these, so can't recommend a particular one as being good.)  Unless you have a very specific reason for using a smaller needle, go up a size.

When I did get a replacement needle threader for my Bernina, I found that the new threader did not work at all with size 70 needles.  One day I was switching to a topstitch needle and realized how much larger the eye was; since then I use only topstitch needles and my new threader works very well.  Note that I came up with this solution after four trips to the store for service because I could not get the new needle threader to work properly.  The technicians kept saying "Well, some sewers have difficulty using the needle threader, you just have to practice with it" and I kept saying, 'I don't need practice, the old one worked perfectly and the new one doesn't work at all!".  Finally a Bernina employee at a show told me to use a bigger needle, which did work.  But I like the topstitch needle solution much better than using a bigger needle.

Hope you solve your problem and can get the automatic threader fixed -- I would not like to be without mine!

Shirley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 9:22 PM

Pat:

•  
    • I am so frustrated right now.  My automatic threader is broken.    I am using a very fine needle and fine thread.   Anyone got any tips for threading.....I just can't seem to thread it.    Pat

Perfect Sew makes a very good machine needle threader. Just google it and I think you'll find it. I'd recommend getting more than one. I'd also recommend getting the machine needle replaced if that's an option.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jun 9 2013 12:28 PM

I agree with Shirley's tip to lay a white piece of paper down below the needle.  Two of my sewing machines do not have threaders, and the white paper does the trick for me - allowing me to clearly see the eye so that I can direct the thread through.  I have to wear good strong eye glasses, of course!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Sun, Jun 9 2013 4:01 PM

I drink a lot of coffee, lately they've been saying it's good for you - but one thing for sure, if I can thread the machine WHILE IT"S RUNNING-- I've had too much!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185

I'm usually skeptical about tips and tricks, but I tried wetting the back of the needle with my finger and I swear I don't even have to squint or try to get my head down by the needle!  It really works for me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi swedeami, it is nice to meet you. I'm glad this worked for you, I will definitely have to give this a try, but must admit I would be lost without my needle threader :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use