Page 2 of 10 (150 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 149 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,378
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:26 AM

Michelle, I have to think on that question.  If he has one and the price is right we'll talk.  

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085
Michelle replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:55 AM

The painted ones are more expensive. The others are taken apart, refurbished and cleaned, oiled and retimed. I make sure they are perfectly! That's my job! Haha. I don't understand all the other parts, he's always making sure mine run perfectly. I just sew. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,378
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 10:08 AM

Michelle, I sent you a friend message.  Let me know if you get it.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085
Michelle replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 10:11 AM

Donna, 

My husband read online that the oil in the machines years ago was the culprit for that smell in the older original boxes. I also use a bit of baking soda in a bag, leave the top of the bag open and close the lid. The sun works wonders. Especially our hot Texas sun. They do make a soft sided Zippered bag for the FWs that comes in a few colors, made specific for them, the foot pedal and cords with a front separate zipper for other items. I'm thinking of buying one for traveling with my FW to the retreats. 

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:12 PM

Michelle:
My husband read online that the oil in the machines years ago was the culprit for that smell in the older original boxes. I also use a bit of baking soda in a bag, leave the top of the bag open and close the lid. The sun works wonders. Especially our hot Texas sun.

Michelle, thanks.  I am not surprised that it is the oil at the root of the smelling issue.  But I also think it has something to do with years of musty, damp storage.  I have used baking soda in the case since I received it in early May - without any noticeable improvement.  I even enclosed the case (with baking soda inside) in a plastic bag to limit the air needed to be "condition".  No change!  This is one time I "kind of" wish for your really hot temps in the south...lol!  But, we will get our hot weather here in a few weeks!  Right now, it's only been up to the mid-80's so sitting on a flagstone patio, the black box did get pretty warm.   However, I noticed this morning there is still some odor...maybe not as strong, but still there.  Sigh...  (I have some allergies to molds and mildews.)

I am aware of the fabric carrying cases, but I plan to make a carrying case that the black-box fits into.  It will support the case's bottom and protects it from bangs, etc. (When I get it done, I will post pictures.)  I saw the idea on Ebay and am designing my own pattern from that.  If the case still smells after all summer, I will probably end up using MNancy's method of using Bounce sheets in the case whenever it is closed!  

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,137
Points 17,530
weezee56 replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 4:45 PM

Donna B:
I am not surprised that it is the oil at the root of the smelling issue.

To everyone that is having a problem with the smelling issue carrying case. My DS bought a house several years ago. A bank repo. The people that owned it had many animals in the house with lots of nasty smells through out the house and in the carpet, most people looking at the house took one smell and walked out. He bought a product called OdoBan, it is a liquid, he put it in the house in a cup (liquid was clear) the next day the room smelled much better and the liquid in the cup had turned dark, like it had drawn the bad smells into the cup. I got a carrying (black box with my 221) my DD2 pulled the case out of the packing box and the bottom broke, the machine fell out, (no damage, thank goodness) I have not fixed the case yet so I haven't had the use the OdoBan myself. You can get it at Home Depot.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 5:55 PM

Karla:
I did it!  I finally won one on ebay and it's my birth year to boot!

Congrats Karla.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085
Michelle replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:41 PM

Will try that also.  I haven't had one in a while that was bad.  He was just explaining it to me, the oil pads (older felt-real felt not imitation ) in the older machines were made of horse hair and it absorbed the smells more.  So that is one of the pads that he replaces and it also gets rid of the smells.  I think I understood it correctly? 

Michelle B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 7:03 PM

Karla

Congratulations on your new baby.  Hope to see pics soon.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:33 PM

You might, it was shipping from only about 200 miles from here, and according to the USPS it should be delivered tomorrow or Friday.  Can't wait!!!  I've narrowed the names down to two, Louisa (after my paternal grandmother, who did make some quilts) and Adelia (after my maternal grandmother who hooked rugs).  Maybe when I see it I'll be able to decide.  I could name her Luella after my mother, but she didn't sew at all.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:35 PM

Kris:
I did it!  I finally won one on ebay and it's my birth year to boot!

Karla, ME, TOO!!  won a 1953 just today.   was so sure someone was going to bid me up but no one placed a bid in the last 17 hours so I actually got it for $200+ shipping.  can't wait to get her!  what to name her now, may call her Elizabeth after my grandmother on Dad's side, one of my aunts and my middle name - Lizzie for short.  here's a picture from the eBay listing.  better pic to follow when she gets home.  she's got her case, little worn but gosh, she's 60 years old; and lots of attachments.  

Item picture

I have never named a sewing machine - used to name our cars but haven't done that in a long time.  but seems she needs a name.  haven't named my Brother, either.  how about Frances, after my Mom, her middle name.  I think she would have liked that.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:39 PM

Debbie:
Karla, ME, TOO!!  won a 1953 just today.

Congratulations, Debbie!  Mine cost me $265 + shipping, but I'm sure it's well worth it as it says it has just been serviced and doesn't show any wear, tear or rust.  I'll let you know when it gets here and take pictures.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:48 PM

Congrats Karla and Debbie!  Have fun with your new babies.  I can't wait for the next QCA retreat - the Featherweights might outnumber all other machines!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:50 PM

Karla:
but I'm sure it's well worth it as it says it has just been serviced and doesn't show any wear, tear or rust.  I'll let you know when it gets here and take pictures.

wow, now that I think on it I don't think it has been serviced.  but said works well.  may need to get it checked out to be safe.  also bought a book, 2010 ed of third printing of Singer Featherweights History and manual on eBay.

Has anyone bought these Quilter's Pack for short shank vertical needle Sewing Machines, including SINGER Featherweight 221, & 222. Includes Vertical needle snap on shank, 1/4" presser foot, darning foot for free motion stippling, and blind applique foot?  saw them on eBay for $19.99 from an authorized dealer and just wondered if they are any good, if anyone had bought them yet.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:51 PM

Debbie:
Has anyone bought these Quilter's Pack for short shank vertical needle Sewing Machines, including SINGER Featherweight 221, & 222. Includes Vertical needle snap on shank, 1/4" presser foot, darning foot for free motion stippling, and blind applique foot?  saw them on eBay for $19.99 from an authorized dealer and just wondered if they are any good, if anyone had bought them yet.  

it says SINGER Sewing Machine National Warranty Center

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 2 of 10 (150 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use