Page 1 of 10 (150 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 149 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy Posted: Fri, May 31 2013 9:29 PM

I've noticed that many in our group have been purchasing the old Singer Featherweights of late.  For excellent tips on maintenance, restoration, pricing, repair, parts, etc, check out the Quilting Board's "Vintage Machines" forums. 

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/

Marie, if you're reading this, I just saw a discussion there on replacement bobbins.  They do NOT recommend buying them at JoAnn's because the quality is inconsistent.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Fri, May 31 2013 10:01 PM

Nancy

Thanks for posting this.  I know that it will be useful for many of us.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, May 31 2013 11:51 PM

There is also a Yahoo Group for Featherweight owners..."moderated" by Graham Forsdyke, renown FW expert.  It is full of excellent info and with Graham watching the posts, you can be sure if mis-information is given, it will be corrected and/or qualified by him quite rapidly.

http://groups.yahoo.com/

You need to register with Yahoo Groups (upper left corner) then in the search box type "Featherweight".  The first group shown should have the title "Featherweight" with a logo: gold background with a white feather and the black FW on top, plus have around 2800 members in it.  Click the "join this group"  link under the logo and you will be advised by email when your access is approved (note, they always are).  I have posts set up to come to me via email so I can see what people are asking and the answers.  

I am really learning a lot from this Group!

p.s.  Marge P is the one who told me about this Group...and I really do like it.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, May 31 2013 11:55 PM

I should mention that if you already belong to a Yahoo Group, you can just log-in, search for the Featherweight Group, click the "Join this Group" link and you will have this group added to your My Groups Page.

For those of you who are new to Yahoo Groups, after you register, going to this same webpage, will bring you to a sign in page for your Yahoo Groups Page...listing any and all groups you have joined.  It gets much easier once you are in a group or two.  I am in several...for the FW, my Bernina 830, and my Bernina Embroidery Software...plus a general sewing group.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,336
Points 414,639
gini replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 12:57 AM

http://www.novamontgomery.com/singer-featherweight-221-tip-of-the-month.htm

another great featherweight site.  she is having a retreat in branson in the fall on featherweight maintainence

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 7:48 AM

MNnancy:
Marie, if you're reading this, I just saw a discussion there on replacement bobbins.  They do NOT recommend buying them at JoAnn's because the quality is inconsistent.

Thanks Nancy, I bought a package of three from Joannes but the one I chose to use is defective the other two are just fine.  

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 9:59 PM

I did it!  I finally won one on ebay and it's my birth year to boot!  I'm excited...should be delivered next week.  I was bidding on 3 1949's today and finally got the last one.  Says it's been serviced with no nicks or rust, with a case (that has a key).  Oh my, what am I going to name her.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 10:26 PM

Karla, 

You will love sewing on her.  My husband buys them on ebay and refurbishes them, so I have a few now.  He repaints also, so I have a purple one that I take everywhere!! They sew just beautifully.  And so easy to take care of. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 10:35 PM

Congrats, Karla!!!  Can't wait to see a picture of her.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,013
Points 15,410
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 12:48 AM

Great news, on your new arrival.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:27 AM

Karla:

I did it!  I finally won one on ebay and it's my birth year to boot!  I'm excited...should be delivered next week.  I was bidding on 3 1949's today and finally got the last one.  Says it's been serviced with no nicks or rust, with a case (that has a key).  Oh my, what am I going to name her.

Congratulations Karla!  I am so excited for you!!!  

Can't wait to see pictures of your new baby...  and I am sure you will find just the right name.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:35 AM

BTW, my musty FW case has been sitting out on the patio in the direct sun for the last 3 days (with the lid open) getting lots of fresh air (and heat).  It is smelling (or not) a lot better!  A weather front is coming in today (possibility of thunderstorms later this morning and afternoon), so it's staying inside for the next few days.  This may be a good test to see if the heat and fresh air has done its magic...however, it may need even more.  I will let you know...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 6:28 PM

Michelle, does your husband have a 1937 Featherweight, I'm looking for one.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 6:29 PM

Karla congrats on your win, you'll love it, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:40 PM

Marie, I'll ask him if he has one. Are you wanting a regular black or painted one? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Page 1 of 10 (150 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use