Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 911
Points 17,245
Carol from Pittsburgh Posted: Mon, May 27 2013 7:49 PM

I need some advice, please.  I finished this top just a few minutes ago and I need to decide what color thread to use for the quilting.  I'm not really happy with the quilt, not liking so much how it turned out, but I'm hoping after it's quilted I'll like it.  Anyway, I don't know if I want to use a solid black so the thread doesn't show too much on the borders or use a solid shade of purple or lilac to emphasize the lighter colors. Another one I'm considering is a variegated purple in dark shades that's a King Tut thread. Or should I use one thread for the borders and another for the center?  Of course, the colors don't show well here but I hope you all get an idea of how it looks. 

Suggestions are much appreciated!  Thanks!

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, May 27 2013 10:12 PM

Your fabric made quite an interesting one block wonder!  I've done stack and whack, but I haven't tried a one block wonder yet.

I would use one of your lighter colors.  The off-white or light gray.  That's my opinion anyway.  Let's see how the rest weigh in.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,506
Points 48,350
Angele replied on Mon, May 27 2013 10:17 PM

I agree with Nancy. I think I would lean towards the grays fairly light.  It would blend well with most of the colors.  From here that is what I see as a possibility.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 695
Points 11,940
zoetc49 replied on Mon, May 27 2013 10:22 PM

Don't ask me why, but my first thought was go with a bright yellow.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Tue, May 28 2013 1:17 AM

i would use a light or medium neutral in the center and black on the outside

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,440
Linda replied on Tue, May 28 2013 6:46 AM

I think I'd have to go with Gini on this one. Or if you have a verigated with neutrals then use black on the outside.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 911
Points 17,245

Thank you all so much!  I like the idea of the gray/neutral in the center. It will work well with all the colors. And I'll use black for the black border and use the gray for the color border. So as soon as I get some backing and the thread arrives (I have to order gray) I'll get started on the quilting. I appreciate how everyone always helps out-- you're all so nice!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Carol from Pittsburgh:
I'm not really happy with the quilt, not liking so much how it turned out, but I'm hoping after it's quilted I'll like it.

Wow, I think it's great. I've always wanted to try one of these quilts. I know you got plenty of answers but personally I like the variegated threads. I especially like the King Tut colors.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Carol from Pittsburgh:
I'm not really happy with the quilt, not liking so much how it turned out, but I'm hoping after it's quilted I'll like it.

Wow, I think it's great. I've always wanted to try one of these quilts. I know you got plenty of answers but personally I like the variegated threads. I especially like the King Tut colors.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Carol from Pittsburgh:

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 911
Points 17,245

Thanks, Melissa.  I actually did decide on a King Tut. They have one called "Pumice" that is great for this. I like using King Tut. I've never had any trouble with tension or thread breaks with it.  Do you do your own quilting?  If you do, are you familiar with MachineQuiltingConnection.com?  They have the least expensive King Tut I've seen anywhere.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Carol from Pittsburgh:
'm not really happy with the quilt, not liking so much how it turned out, but I'm hoping after it's quilted I'll like it.

OK, I've tried to post this several times. I just wanted to let you know how beautiful I think your quilt is. I've been wanting to try this method but I'm still not brave enough yet. I personally lover variegated thread. I especially love the colors of King Tut. That's just my opinion. You already got some really really good suggestions.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Sorry about so many posts. My little computer is not working too great this morning.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use