Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 240
Kathy Posted: Mon, May 27 2013 9:08 AM

Hello all from Williamsport Indiana.  I just joined yesterday and am looking forward to making some quilting friends.  I am a beginning self-taught quilter.  Because I am employed full time and live in a small town, there are no conveniently located shops to take lessons.  I learned to sew clothing at an early age, and in fact made most of my own and my daughter's clothing for many years.  I have always  been a fabric junky.  Always fascinated with quilts, I decided that it would be a good way to learn plus to use some of my fabric scraps.  My first project, which I am hand quilting, is a queen size quilt for my bed - never said I wasn't brave (but maybe not very bright)!  Meantime, a friend is buying a new home so I have started a lap quilt as a housewarming gift.  So now I have 2 projects going-I hope to have the lap quilt done by the end of June.

Kathy

• | Post Points: 140
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Mon, May 27 2013 9:24 AM

Welcome Cairnmom,   We enjoy to sharing our love of quilting.  We have lots of quilters who have lots of answers to any question you may have.  Enjoy yourself and we'd love to see a pic of your quilts.

Diana in East Tn.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Mon, May 27 2013 9:35 AM

Cairnmom , welcome  to the club. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Mon, May 27 2013 9:54 AM

cairnmom:
My first project, which I am hand quilting, is a queen size quilt

Welcome cairnmom.

You are ambitious to start out with a queen size, and hand quilting it, too!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, May 27 2013 9:59 AM

Welcome Cairnmom!  Your story is similar to many of ours here on QCA...    ...except for the hand-piecing part!  LOL  Well, there are a number of hand-piecers here, but I am not one of them.  I'm retired now but I still find it difficult to find a lot of time to sew, so when my schedule is free for a day, I want to get as much done at the sewing machine as I can!  How nice of you to make a housewarming quilt for your friend.  I'm sure she/he will treasure it!  Perhaps you can post a picture here when you're done.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Mon, May 27 2013 10:43 AM

Cairnmom, only 2 projects?  I have many UFOs and several other projects in process.  Welcome to the group!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Mon, May 27 2013 12:45 PM

Welcome Cairnmom, you will soon find this to be addicting.....it's the first this I do in the morning and last thing I do at night...and about every hour in between when I am off...have fun and enjoy..I have learned sooo much since joining .....you are going to love it here!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Mon, May 27 2013 12:54 PM

Welcome to the group, I am sure you will have loads of fun here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,838
Points 352,722
Kris replied on Mon, May 27 2013 1:14 PM

Welcome Cairnmom.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Mon, May 27 2013 2:10 PM

hi cairnmom, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:21 PM

Welcome Cairnmom

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:28 PM

cairnmom:
My first project, which I am hand quilting, is a queen size quilt for my bed -

Boy, you are brave!  welcome, I've only been here since Sept and just love everyone I've met.  sweet, Godly woman who love to quilt and best of all share, not only quilting but things in everyday life we all experience. This is my FB!  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:37 PM

Cairnmom

My first big quilt was a king size dresden plate that I hand quilted.  The quilting didn't hold up so well to lots of use but that's ok because I have made lots more since then and do mostly machine quilting now.   I do still try to hand quilt at least one quilt a year.   I have so many UFOs that I have lost count and have at least 2 or more in various stages of piecing at any given time...LOL>    I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,052
Points 169,993
Marie replied on Mon, May 27 2013 9:08 PM

Welcome Cairnmom, happy to have you join us.  Hope you post often , enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,396
Points 19,400

Welcom Cairnmom,

You will love it here. I have found quilters to be the most kind and generous people. Everyone here is so helpful too. If you have problems with anything, just ask. Again, welcome.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use