Top 10 Posters

Scraps of Fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
21 Posts
Points 540
JeanneMarie posted on Sat, May 25 2013 2:43 PM

Ok---here I have a tote full of scraps of all kinds.  To get fully under control of this fabric I thought I would start cutting them into 5" strips, 2 1/2", 2", 1 1/2", and 1" strips.  Sure don't like throwing anything away.  Well, the piles are getting overwelming also, so I got to start doing something with these----what have you done with such strips?  I like scrappy that's no problem, but how scrappy does a person get.  Do you just start pulling out with no plan of where this fabric is going to the next?  I've done scrappy before but controlled.  What was your favorite pattern that you used to use up scraps?  Thanks for any input  that you may have, as I am stumped.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560

I had the same question a couple of weeks ago. I got great answers. Some said controlled and some said absolutely random. I ended up using the turning 20 pattern and ran out of some fabrics and just inserted what I had. It turned out really nice. When I get a chance to post a picture, I will do so under the gallery. I think it is just what your preference is. I guess I don't really like really really random piecing. Great question.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Sat, May 25 2013 3:29 PM

If you search for "string quilts"  in google images you will find lots of inspiration.

Also Bonnie hunter has lots of ideas for making scrap quilts  quiltville.blogspot.com   look for the free patterns tab

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,050
Roxana replied on Sat, May 25 2013 3:30 PM

With strips that size, a strip string pattern always work great for me. If you have more of one fabric than any other, it can be your center strip in all your blocks. Just a thought.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,349 Posts
Points 36,950
Linda replied on Sat, May 25 2013 3:31 PM

I do a lot of random  piecing, just let the fabric speak to you. I also do some controlled. But if I can't be controlled why should the fabric? My motto is patterns are only suggestions. I just like doing things randomly and I usually have quite a few ooohs and awwwws with the final results.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, May 25 2013 4:02 PM

I will make a double nine patch with the squares or fences and rails with the strips.  I will make a few blocks here every month or so, and after awhile I have enough blocks for a quilt without spendnig a lot of dedicated time piecing.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, May 25 2013 4:02 PM

I will make a double nine patch with the squares or fences and rails with the strips.  I will make a few blocks here every month or so, and after awhile I have enough blocks for a quilt without spendnig a lot of dedicated time piecing.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
962 Posts
Points 19,541

Check out the thread "A Quilters Lumberyard" A Scrap Management System.  Many ideas there. 

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 9,200
Pamela replied on Sun, May 26 2013 8:14 PM

Jacy:
Also Bonnie hunter has lots of ideas for making scrap quilts  quiltville.blogspot.com

Ditto about Bonnie Hunter. She makes beautiful quilts, but her scraps are organized. She has put together a system. 

Check out this page from her website. http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml. She starts with strips, just like you have, and ends up with wonderful quilts.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,548 Posts
Points 23,405
Susie replied on Tue, May 28 2013 1:52 PM

I am just about to the same point.  I did get a 3-drawer cabinet, but most of my scraps are stuffed into a couple bags.  I need to try to get them organized so that I can do something with them.  So far, they are only being used for applique.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,585 Posts
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Tue, May 28 2013 7:23 PM

Susie:

I am just about to the same point.  I did get a 3-drawer cabinet, but most of my scraps are stuffed into a couple bags.  I need to try to get them organized so that I can do something with them.  So far, they are only being used for applique.

I have several tubs of scraps...I started to get them organized once but guess I gave up.  I really must try again as I can't find half of the things I need.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use