Top 10 Posters

Is a Featherweight the same as the old pedel Singer machines?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce Posted: Wed, May 22 2013 8:40 PM

Hi reading about different ones getting a Featherweight machine and just wondered if they are the old pedal Singer machines which have been redone.  My mom had my grandmothers old pedal machine and had said I could have it.  When we packed my mom's house I didn't have room to bring the machine back with me or a place to keep it since mom was moved in.  I gave it to my brother.  Now that mom is gone I wish I had that machine.

Anyway just curious.

Joyce

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 22 2013 9:48 PM

Joyce, when you say "pedal," do you mean treadle machine?

No electricity is needed to run this machine!

Below is a Featherweight.

You don't see the powercord in this picture, but it does require electricity.  The speed is controlled with a foot pedal.  This was considered the first portable sewing machine.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, May 22 2013 10:34 PM

Nancy

Is that beautiful treadle yours???

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, May 23 2013 6:59 AM

Gorgeous, isn't it?!  If my name were Google, I could maybe claim it.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Thu, May 23 2013 6:32 PM

Nancy I did mean treadle and not pedal.  My brain is in a muddle anymore.  That is a beautiful Singer treadle machine at the top.  Also the Featherweight at the bottom.  Wow the 1st portable sewing machine.  Wonder where I've been hiding.  I had never heard of one. ha  Thanks for the info.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:08 PM

Oh my!  I'm so in love with your treadle, that's how I learned to sew.  Is it for sale or do you just want to torture me???

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,879
Points 40,540
ls2116 replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:17 PM

Beautiful treadle!  I've been looking for white featherweight but i'm patient on it because i already have the black version.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:29 PM

Why is everyone so crazy about the Featherweight?  Why is it so special?  What do you do with them.  Are they easier to sew on?  Just curious.  Afraid I'm a sewing machine dummy.

Joyce

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,468
Points 41,125
Mimi replied on Thu, May 23 2013 9:00 PM

Joyce:
Why is it so special? 

Mine is special because it came from my mom.  My daughter was supposed to get it but she doesn't sew.  So I'm keeping it to give to my first DGD who wants her Mimi to teach her to sew.  We're going to be trying a 4 square pillow in princess colors this summer. I'll keep everyone posted.

But really...the featherweight only does a straight stitch forward and backward.  And that straight stitch is perfect.  The machine is easy to care for yourself.  No computer chips, or complicated mechanisms.  It only weights 12 pounds so she's easy to take with you to workshops and she is a real work horse. She's hard to use as a quilting machine although I've done some baby quits on her.  But as far as piecing is concerned she hums right along.   I did most of my sewing for Home Ec. classes on ours.  It is iconic and will still be working when my janome has long retired.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, May 23 2013 9:21 PM

Joni:
I'm so in love with your treadle, that's how I learned to sew.  Is it for sale or do you just want to torture me???

It's not mine, Joni.  I just found the picture on Google images to show the difference between the treadle and the Featherweight.  I think it might be nice to find an old treadle to restore, but I don't know where I'd put it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, May 24 2013 9:25 AM

Featherweight is a nice simple machine that travels like no other machine.  It was made and used by young wives and mothers who traveled around the country following their soldier boys in WWII.  And yes you can service it yourself, it is just a jewel to own and use.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Fri, May 24 2013 6:59 PM

Joni, just to let you know I haven't forgotten the charm packs I promised you, just got tied up in my friends loss and didn't take the time to send, sorry.  I'll mail them out to you Tuesday.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:25 AM

Marie:

Joni, just to let you know I haven't forgotten the charm packs I promised you, just got tied up in my friends loss and didn't take the time to send, sorry.  I'll mail them out to you Tuesday.

Thanks Marie...I'm thrilled, but in no hurry, I'm very patient. 

So busy getting garden in and roses mulched, etc.  Just got space for garden roto tilled yesterday, need some more soil added, gotta make a run to home depot, they got garden soil 4 bags for $10.  Very small, 2 each of yellow squash, zuchini, eggplant,  green bean bushes, tomatoes and cukes...oh and not to forget a couple rows of okra.

And 5 Leland Cypress to plant.  I'm so loving my roses and looking forward to fresh veggies.  Hope to plant some turnips and greens in the fall, maybe put in a couple pumpkins (pie) mounds tomorrow.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:31 AM

delete double post

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use