rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:52 AM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Sukochi, I am with Jacy.  It sounds like you might have to do better than the roller food.  Gotta make it worth it for DH too!  :)

Carol DH would rather have roller food then anything else in this world, besides ice cream. Sad for me, he would rather seek that out then a wonderful meal (steak) in a wonderful restaurant. :{

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,675
Ginny replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 9:30 AM | Locked

Oh oh!  Sukochi, he sounds a lot like one of my friends.  He thinks stopping a Mickey Dee's and splitting chicken nuggets and a med. order of fries is a meal.  Gro-o-an.    It says to me cheap, cheap, cheap.  But then I have to stop and realize, this is the way he usually eats. LOL    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 2:29 PM | Locked

No quilting today...picked most of the plums off the tree and boiling them down for juice to make plum jelly tomorrow.  It's really too hot to be doing this, but unfortunately the plums are starting to fall off the tree and rot.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:12 PM | Locked

Karla:

No quilting today...picked most of the plums off the tree and boiling them down for juice to make plum jelly tomorrow.  It's really too hot to be doing this, but unfortunately the plums are starting to fall off the tree and rot.

That sounds great, Karla.  I made preserves for the first time this year out of strawberries.  For that, I just used a food processor on them... It sounds like you do something entirely different for the plum jelly... You said you boil it down for the juice?  How does that work?  Do you just dice them and then heat them and mash them and strain out chunks?  Do you use a juicer or a food processor at any stage?  Sorry for all the questions.  I'm just curious since it's new to me.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:32 PM | Locked

Carolyn, yes when making "jelly" you just use the joice by boiling them down and straining out the chucks, skins, etc.  Then, when you have enough juice to make a batch, you boil the juice, sugar, and pectin at a hard boil  until it thickens and then put in the jars and boil the jars for 30 minutes or so.  

I used a food processor last year when I made strawberry preserves, peach and pear jams, but I haven't gone to the farmer's market and bought strawberries this year, and we got no fruit off of the peach tree because we didn't spray for curly leaf early enough...and the pear tree, well I had so many pears last year that I've got gallon bags of frozen pears left...so many that I'm tired just thinking about it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 6:04 PM | Locked

Thanks for the info. :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:02 PM | Locked

I posted this question in UFO group and it was suggested I re-post here so more people would see and get more suggestions as to where I need to go next.  This is titled "Southeastern Oklahoma in the Fall' and I started it 7 or 8 years ago.  I have the mountains, the pine, cedar and hard wood trees (and more tree blocks I could add) .  I'm thinking of meadows or open fields.  I have material with deer print in the fall and some that would make a good stream but not sure how to proceed.   Suggestions please.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 693
Points 11,885
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:23 PM | Locked

What about water? I river, stream?

I do LOVE what you have done  !!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:32 PM | Locked

Flojo:

.........  I have material with deer print in the fall and some that would make a good stream but not sure how to proceed.   Suggestions please.

Flojo, I don't have any suggestions but this is absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful project.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:17 AM | Locked

if you have more tree blocks i would add them and since they look like log cabin type blocks, i would do some light blues for water at the bottom.  i like the pointed block at the top and would leave it as a point of interest ( no pun intended!) .  it is gorgeous!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:27 AM | Locked

I love your quilt!  I googled landscape quilts with streams and found some ideas.   I would guess you want to keep with the straight patchwork, your use of which I find awesome.  What about doing log cabin like strips, horizontal, small in the back and growing in size to where you want it with the deer.  Here is one web site that gives an idea at least on shaping the stream.  I like a few meanders.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/06/student-spotlight-monica-spicker/

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:58 AM | Locked

Flojo, what about a little log cabin beside the stream.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 11:01 AM | Locked

Don't know why but I am picturing a log cabin somewhere just don't know how you would do it.

Ha!  I just saw Jacy's post  so let there be a log cabin. lol

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 11:39 AM | Locked

could you add the stream blocks so they wrap around that lowest tree block? Look like a stream going around the tree?

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:08 PM | Locked

here is the current look at the quilt I am working on. Just one more border, a 5 inch border, with a fabric used in the blocks that is just stunning, I think.

Sukochi

Page 73 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 71 72 73 74 75 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use