Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #8

Page 68 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 10:32 PM | Locked

I've been working on my place mats and table runners that I started in the Smoky's.  Hopefully I'll have pictures tomorrow.  I have a feeling with all the binding I have to sew on it may be later in the week before it's done.

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 383
Points 8,485
didash replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:08 PM | Locked

I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere, but I sure can't find it...

I'm considering upgrading my sewing machine - would love to have a bit larger throat (have a Brother CS6000i - think that's the # - that I'm currently doing all my quilting on.  Unfortunately, I can't spend thousands of dollars on a sewing machine as we are in the process of buying a house!  So I will probably have to look for a used one...any suggestions?? What do you use? What do you like/don't like about your machine?? Bernina, Janome, Viking, other??? 

Anyone know of a site that compares the makes/models??

Thanks in advance for any help!!  If anyone can point me to an existing thread here at QCA, it would be appreciated!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,912
Points 40,960
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 1:34 AM | Locked

Yes Ginny at last I'm getting back into normal things except all the hospital runs.  Made my 1st block of 2nd type log cabin and even the cornerstones which i have hard time with went together almost perfectly! 

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:35 AM | Locked

Bonita, this is a beautiful wall hanging. I'm sure the owner of the VPK school will love it.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:36 AM | Locked

Thanks Beth for the info.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:46 AM | Locked

didash:

I'm considering upgrading my sewing machine - would love to have a bit larger throat (have a Brother CS6000i - think that's the # - that I'm currently doing all my quilting on.  Unfortunately, I can't spend thousands of dollars on a sewing machine as we are in the process of buying a house!  So I will probably have to look for a used one...any suggestions?? What do you use? What do you like/don't like about your machine?? Bernina, Janome, Viking, other??? 

Thanks in advance for any help!!  If anyone can point me to an existing thread here at QCA, it would be appreciated!

Diane, I have a Huskvarna-Viking Saphire machine with a 9" throat space and I love it. I used to take it to my Tuesday nights sewing nights, but I didn't want to bounce it so much, so I got a small featherweight to travel with. I love my big machine even after three years. I do all my machine quilting on it and even did a 90" one for my mom. I have a friend who feels the same about her Pfaff, so I guess the best thing for you is to find dealers near you, go try them out. Just like a car, test them out. When the salesperson does it it all looks fine but when you get to use the machine, you might just feel different.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:48 AM | Locked

ls2116:

Yes Ginny at last I'm getting back into normal things except all the hospital runs.  Made my 1st block of 2nd type log cabin and even the cornerstones which i have hard time with went together almost perfectly! 

Is, I am sure you already know this. But, at the Retreat Mimi helped me with my quilt. She taught me the importance of PRESSING. Putting all you strength into it. Bearing down on that fabric to within an inch of it's life.  Also make sure the blocks, then the quilt is totally square. Measure all over. I put this to use now, and I have no more messy quilt backs and the front is so much prettier. And, the are as square as I can get. I should say "they". I am working on the first one since the retreat. But, I will always thank Mimi for this lesson.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:54 AM | Locked

Diane, I upgraded from the very same Brother machine for the very same reason. I got, for under $900.00, a Brother Innovis  NX450Q. Larger by two inches, which seems perfect for me.  I love this machine. Check them out. Part of what I love is that automatic thread cutter. I don't understand that one bit, but you push a button, and it cuts the thread when you are finish sewing. It amazes me. I am still so excited when it does that. Of, course, I don't get out near enough! I think you would love this machine. 

Sukochi

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 13,370
Michelle replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:56 AM | Locked

Thanks, but the pieces were already cut on the 45 degree.  I think they were the ones she cut off when she was showing us.  But they were so long and so much material, that I was able to miter them together, then put them on.  A bit backwards, but I wanted to use all the material and not have any left. I used every piece!! Nothing left to put in the stash. Haha

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 9:23 AM | Locked

Michelle:

Thanks, but the pieces were already cut on the 45 degree.  I think they were the ones she cut off when she was showing us.  But they were so long and so much material, that I was able to miter them together, then put them on.  A bit backwards, but I wanted to use all the material and not have any left. I used every piece!! Nothing left to put in the stash. Haha

LOL   .... sounds like we need to go shop hopping!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400
Brigit-Carol replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 9:24 AM | Locked

didash:

If you are happy with your current Brother for piecing and other sewing projects,  consider getting a straight stitch like the Brother PQ1500S or the Juki2010.  I found my Brother 1500 used for $250.00, but new ones can be gotten for around $600.00. It has a 9" harp, auto up/down needle and an auto cutter, and a specialized pin feed that really does a great job keeping fabric from slipping. I really like the machine.  I also like the fact that by having two (or more) machines,  I don't have to change the settings back and forth constantly.  If you want a "do it all" machine, I've heard very good things about the Janome 6500, and they are available at reduced prices or trade ins, since newer models are now out. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,635
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 9:28 AM | Locked

Michelle

Your "leftover" quilt is gorgeous.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 13,370
Michelle replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 9:35 AM | Locked

Thanks Nana!!  Did you see the mitered corners?  Its sort of mitered.  Your extras were already cut like that, so I used the cut and put them together on the miter. So I mitered backwards!! HaHa

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 11:33 AM | Locked

Don't you hate when this happens???? :{

DH came up with an easier solution. He got a magnet off the fridge and got them up quick, quick. I knew I had him here for something.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 11:45 AM | Locked

I keep my pins in a magnetic bowl, the ones mechanics use for small parts, etc. Got them at Harbor Freight, 2 for $5.  When the bowl of pins get knocked off of my table or ironing board, they scatter all over.  Best investment I've made in a while.

Page 68 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use