Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #8

Page 47 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 45 46 47 48 49 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:28 AM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Julienne, again, just so sorry for your loss.

I finished a quilt yesterday.  This happens only very rarely for me, so it's great when it does.  The cat vomited a giant, runny hairball on it when I was almost done with the quilting and I thought the stain would never come out, but I finally got it out!  Well, I missed one part, but I'm confident that it will come out if I use the same method.  (I soaked in 1 gal water / 1 heaping scoop of oxi-clean (about 1/2 c) for 6 hours, then wash, then repeat if needed).  After trying several other methods (including lots of scrubbing), I was very happy when something finally worked - especially since it was as easy as just soaking!  

Carolyn,

What an adorable quilt! Is it a baby quilt?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:31 AM | Locked

Debbie,

Love the pillowcases! Very pretty fabric and patriotic too!

Cindy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:34 AM | Locked

Jacy:

Debbie, I like you patriotic pillowcases.

Here's a future quilter at my house, pretty soon she'll be making her own quilts. Please excuse her brothers clutter behind her.

Jacy - what a beautiful grand daughter! How old is she? I want to start teaching my granddaughters to quilt but don't know what is the right age. They are both almost 4 years old now. They like to cut my threads for me (scary sometimes:)).

Cindy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:53 AM | Locked

Cindy, not a grand-daughter but my daughter, although I'm old enough to be her grandma!

She's 6 but she sewed things like a doll pillow when she was 5. Just 2 pieces of felt and sew around the edges then stuff.

This time she making a needlecase, inspired by one I use made by MNnancy, but she deemed it too boring, and her's will have a butterfly on the front, body's not added yet and I'm going to show her how to embroider for the antenna.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:14 AM | Locked

Jacy:

Cindy, not a grand-daughter but my daughter, although I'm old enough to be her grandma!

She's 6 but she sewed things like a doll pillow when she was 5. Just 2 pieces of felt and sew around the edges then stuff.

This time she making a needlecase, inspired by one I use made by MNnancy, but she deemed it too boring, and her's will have a butterfly on the front, body's not added yet and I'm going to show her how to embroider for the antenna.

Oops, sorry. She is a beauty! Hmmm, maybe I can start my g-daughters when they are five. We'll see!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:44 AM | Locked

Jacy, she is just so darn cute- and talented too.   I can't wait for a year or 2 for my GGD to want to do something like that.     Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,950
Points 125,525
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:52 AM | Locked

NancyMN, Love what you did with Jacy's daughters photo.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:02 PM | Locked

Oh, Jacy, you and your hubs sure make beautiful kids!!

Question, Quilters: I am doing my first machine quilting (just straight lines, so far). I have been working on it for about 15-20 mins. My shoulder muscles and neck muscles are just screaming for me to STOP!!. Am I just tightening up from nervousness or is this part of the program? Help.

Quilting the table runner I was making at the S.M. Retreat.  Hmm....that doesn't look good. Let me change that to SMOKEY MOUNTAIN retreat.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:10 PM | Locked

Thanks all for the kind comments on my quilt. Cindy, it's actually *almost* big enough to be a full sized bed quilt, but my plan is to use it as a beach blanket. The fabrics are all beachy. There are bicycles and clothes hanging out on the line and names if beach towns. Some of the t-shirts say "Lucy's Crab Shack"

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:11 PM | Locked

Sukochi, it is not uncommon.  Remember to breathe and relax.  Let the machine do the work.  Don't push, just steer.  Try to roll your shoulders every once in a while.

Good luck.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,950
Points 125,525
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:15 PM | Locked

Sukochi:
Question, Quilters: I am doing my first machine quilting (just straight lines, so far). I have been working on it for about 15-20 mins. My shoulder muscles and neck muscles are just screaming for me to STOP!!. Am I just tightening up from nervousness or is this part of the program? Help.

Are you wearing those little nubby quilting gloves? They are very inexpensive, fit snuggly and make all the difference to me when machine quilting. Otherwise, like you, I'm struggling to grip the quilt and move it around.

You also may have to consciously sit up straight and relax your shoulders. 

If none of this work, every few minutes sit back, do a should and neck roll or get up and walk around. Stretch, relax, take deep breathes.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:18 PM | Locked

Sukochi, just think of the great upper body strength you're gaining!  Muscle burns calories quickly!  Lol. At least that's what I tell myself when my arms get sore from quilting. If you're just doing straight lines, it's a little better.  Be sure your fabric is resting on a table and not on you (so you're not working to hold it up). Use your walking foot (or even feed foot) and try to let your machine do as much of the feeding work as possible. Raising your chair up a little might help. Others might have more tips..  I mostly just try to think of the great arm muscles im building. ;)

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:37 PM | Locked

Hmm....not using the walking foot. Will change that. Not using my quilting gloves. Got them on the way to the retreat. Debbie-do's recommendation, will put those on. Sitting up STRAIGHT?? Don't know if I know how. Relax, will try that too. Thanks, ladies. I do think it is the best fun. Just painful fun. Back to the play room.

Sukochi

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 405
Points 6,895
Phyllis replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:42 PM | Locked

Jacy your daughter is gorgeous!    I was 38 and my husband 40 when our last child and only daughter was born.  We were old enough to be her grandparents too, but she was and is the light of our lives!  Good for you for working with her on sewing.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 4:30 PM | Locked

Lovely quilt Carolyn!

Millbury, MA

Page 47 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 45 46 47 48 49 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use