Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #8

Page 32 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 7:48 PM | Locked

Cindy, I love your quilt.  You really make me want to get back to embroidery!  I used to do a lot when I was younger - even embroidered on sunsuits for our children.  I also embroidered and hand quilted on appliqued blocks of little boys like the Sunbonnet Sues for our first grandson and 2 other baby boys here on the farm.  For some reason I never got back to either applique or embroidery.  They makes good portable projects.

Today has been a day to forget, especially in the quilting department.  I should have both quilts for the graduating boys assembled including borders today, but after I finished the first center panel, added the side blocks, then tried to add the sections for top and bottom I found the middle panel was 1" narrower than the top and bottom pieces!!!!!  Somehow I cut the side borders for the panel to make it fit the blocks too narrow.  They should have been 3 " finished but for some reason I CUT them 3"!!!  I spent more time froging those borders than it would have taken me to complete the whole top!!  Now I have recut the side borders correctly and am ready to add them to the panel.  Since I already have 1" borders on the top and bottom and on the side block strips, I will have to add small pieces to the ends of the top and bottom black borders and resew all the seams.  A little insertion practice!!  I guess I shouldn't have even started this today.  Tonight I can't even type without typos in every other word!  It is a good thing I hadn't prepared the panel for the 2nd quilt at the same time!  That would have been too narrow also.  Now I have the fill-in pieces for both panels cut correctly and added the 3" strips to the scrap pile.

Time to go to bed soon and get a fresh start tomorrow.  I hope everyone else had a better quilting day.  We had so few animals to truck today, Rich decided to leave me home so I could work on the quilts.  I should have gone with him!  Of course, the error in cutting happened yesterday so  I probably would still have had the same result and be frogging tonight instead.  At least the extra time allowed me time to correct my mistake (frog), cut new strips and get ready for reassembly tomorrow.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:34 PM | Locked

Cindy, Beautiful quilt! I love the embroidery on it. 

I worked on several projects today, trying to get things ready to head to the Smoky Mountain retreat.  Debbie-do and I are heading on the road on Thursday. I worked on 3 iron caddies and got them all finished today!! I put the buttons on this evening, so now only to decide who to give them all to!! I have to save one to take to my embroidery class to show her I finished up the project.  Had to put embroidery on 4 points, then make sure it all lined up. Wasn't too hard after I did the first one. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:05 PM | Locked

Michelle,  I cannot see exactly how this works .   The embroidery is great!!!    Looks like it was a lot of work to make four.    What is the Smoky Mountain retreat?  Have fun!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:07 PM | Locked

Michelle, your iron caddy turned out great!  I've never seen anyone add embroidery to theirs - good idea!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:12 PM | Locked

Nana those quilts are so cute.  You are very creative.  How did you come up with the patterns?  I know both people that receive them will love them.

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:28 PM | Locked

Michelle

These are great.  I love using embroidery as embellishments.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:33 PM | Locked

Joyce

Thanks for the compliment on my quilts.  The "Tiny Dancer" started out with a panel that had dancers and ballet shoes.   I cut it apart and then decided what needed to be added to make a quilt the size I wanted.   "Daddy's Lil' Tomboy "  is a panel that I added a bow to the cap and some embroidery on the shirt and tool box.  I fell in love with this panel the first time I saw it.  I actually bought 3 of them to have on hand.   Didn't think I would be using the first one for a little girl....LOL>   She is only a couple of weeks old but her Dad is already planning on when she can get her first fishing pole and BB gun,  Decided this would be perfect for her.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:13 AM | Locked

Michelle, I love your iron caddie, so cute!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:22 AM | Locked

Thank you all for the kind words about my quilt. I love quilting by hand. It relaxes me. Hoping I can turn a profit with it when I retire from my day job. Not sure how to go about that, but I have a few years to work on it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:26 AM | Locked

Marsha, embroidery is so much fun and rewarding. I learned when I was in Girl Scouts! Praying you have a better day today than yesterday. I hate, hate, hate it when I cut wrong! It takes so much time to fix the problem. You'll have to explain what "frogging" is though. I'm not familiar with that term.

Sounds like you live on a farm. My husband would be jealous! He grew up on a dairy farm and misses is sorely.

Cindy

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:28 AM | Locked

Michelle,

I love the Iron caddy. It is adorable! I tried my hand at making covers for mine and my daughters' Kitchen Aid mixers. That was fun. I never heard of an Iron Caddy before. I would love to make one of those for all my female family members. Where did you get the pattern?

Cindy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 10:04 AM | Locked

Sukochi

Your hair is so lovely!  I let mine grow out but it looks like a botched frosting job, so back to foils and happy.  Had it cut very short for summer, always do!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 10:11 AM | Locked

Thanks Cindy, I take an embroidery class once a month and she has different techniques she wants us to learn with our embroidery machines. This last month she had this iron caddy pattern. We had to buy the pattern to get the lines on the material where you sew the material to the iron-resistant material. We put 2 layers of batting between. We did the embroidery to learn more techniques. It was a lot of fun so I made several to make sure I had the techniques down. I made a large one for a regular size iron and 2 small ones for my travel iron for the retreats. When you open it, it becomes your ironing surface also. So double duty. 

Michelle B

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 10:27 AM | Locked

I love the iron caddies...can you give us info on the pattern?  I would like to make some of these, although my expertise with my embroidery machine is sorely lacking.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 10:32 AM | Locked

MNNancy, this was a project for my monthly embroidery class. So she has us doing some type of embroidery on every project. This was a type of appliqué using swatches of different materials then cut the appliqué out, then the program on the machine satin stitches it around. I'm gettin more comfortable with the embroidery machine. I come home from class and finish the project, then I like a few extra just in case I forgot something. Then I have plenty of gifts!  And the class, she gives us all the patterns with the class 

Michelle B

Page 32 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use