Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #8

Page 25 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,573
Points 177,973
Marie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:26 AM | Locked

Nancy, have a great time at the quilt show and don't be too hard on your plastic.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:33 AM | Locked

I got the back pieced (just 9 big pieces) for the MQ8.   I had no fabric that remotely matched, so I just used the little of each that was left from the front to put the back together.  I don't usually piece the backs, but I want to get some of these UFO's out of the way without running to the LQS for more fabric.  Now, I still might have to run to the LQS to get some backing as I really don't want to cut up a queen-sized piece to do this small throw.  I'm not sure it is safe for me to go as I've never walked out of there without tons more fabric and I have vowed to not purchase more fabric and save my money for the shop hop in September and Oregon in October.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,799
Points 122,975
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:17 AM | Locked

Carol

There is a free BOM on the Craftsy website. Click on online classes and then scroll down to the Craftsy block of the month 2013 with Laura Nownes.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:22 AM | Locked

Judy

If I could afford the airfare I would be there in a heartbeat.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 30,130
Agnes replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:55 AM | Locked

Debbie:
WOW!  that's a big mug rug!  but would be easier to work with than the 4-5" size.

In my vocabulary the 5" ones are coasters. When I start going to the 6 x 8" and slightly bigger they are mug rugs. They can hold the goodie or treat as well as the mug or glass. We used to call them trivets or hot pads. I have seen mug rugs even larger than this size which I would have called mini place mats. If I had not had these blocks cut and I was cutting them specifically for mug rugs I would have cut them smaller. I didn't feel crazy enough to cut these down and throw the fabric in the garbage. The cheerful flowers are a wonderful mood booster. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 744
Points 14,375
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:05 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:

Carol

There is a free BOM on the Craftsy website. Click on online classes and then scroll down to the Craftsy block of the month 2013 with Laura Nownes.

Thanks, Judy!  I went to the Craftsy site and found that I had actually enrolled in that course in January and never did it. I'm so glad you reminded me. Guess I'll get some fabric now and get caught up.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,799
Points 122,975
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:10 PM | Locked

Carol from Pittsburgh:
Thanks, Judy!  I went to the Craftsy site and found that I had actually enrolled in that course in January and never did it. I'm so glad you reminded me. Guess I'll get some fabric now and get caught up.

That's funny, when I went to the craftsy site I found all kinds of classes I've signed up for and have never taken. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:13 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:

Carol from Pittsburgh:

That's funny, when I went to the craftsy site I found all kinds of classes I've signed up for and have never taken. 

That's really funny as I did the same thing, and I'm signed up for a bunch of them but have only taken one, the Paper Piecing, finished two small quilts, and that's it.  One of these days I'm going to have to go back and do the ones I'm signed up for.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140
Elaine Phillips replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:30 PM | Locked

I just spent the past two days in a class with nationally known machine quilter Linda Visnaw from Lake Havasu in Arizona. I learned tons from her. She has so many tricks and tips to make MQ easier. I hope I can remember all she taught us when I am able to quilt again.  She is a former Viking educator. If you ever have a chane to take a class from her I highly recommend it. 

It will be a few days before I can see straight enough to get back on here, so have fun without me!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 8:58 AM | Locked

I loaded MQ8 on the frame and began quilting...2 seconds later I broke a needle and whoops, a small hole in the quilt...Got that all changed out and made another row and the thread broke.  This was all yesterday, but thank goodness, right after all of that happened, USPS delivered Ella, so I was able  to forget all about my troubles and just play with Ella.  

Today, I guess I'll go back to quilting that quilt...I think maybe a need a larger needle, thread is a poly (I've never used poly to quilt with) and the spool recommends a size 16, but I've got size 14 titanium needles on my mid arm.  Is the Size 16 eye size bigger than a Size 14?  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,362
Points 20,480
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 9:16 AM | Locked

Karla:

Judy T-Bellingham:

That's really funny as I did the same thing, and I'm signed up for a bunch of them but have only taken one,

I have one that I signed up for and haven't done (yet)!  I'm going to let this be a warning to myself to do that one before I sign up for any more!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,892
Points 32,810
Roxana replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 9:20 AM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Karla:

Judy T-Bellingham:

That's really funny as I did the same thing, and I'm signed up for a bunch of them but have only taken one,

I have one that I signed up for and haven't done (yet)!  I'm going to let this be a warning to myself to do that one before I sign up for any more!  :)

Karla, Judy, and Carolyn,

That's good advice for us all. I need to make it through another one before I sign up again. I'd say they have a very, good marketing department! Ha!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 463
Points 7,370
Julienne replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 10:04 AM | Locked

Karla:

I loaded MQ8 on the frame and began quilting...2 seconds later I broke a needle and whoops, a small hole in the quilt...Got that all changed out and made another row and the thread broke.  This was all yesterday, but thank goodness, right after all of that happened, USPS delivered Ella, so I was able  to forget all about my troubles and just play with Ella.  

Today, I guess I'll go back to quilting that quilt...I think maybe a need a larger needle, thread is a poly (I've never used poly to quilt with) and the spool recommends a size 16, but I've got size 14 titanium needles on my mid arm.  Is the Size 16 eye size bigger than a Size 14?  

Karla, I use the Schmetz needles, the size 16 has a very slightly larger eye then the 14, it is also slightly longer, and slightly wider.   I personally only use the 16 needles when I have thicker fabric since that is what they are made for. Otherwise I use the 14 for cotton.   

Every machine is different however. I have a Janome MC11000 SE.  And  a Janome 9000 that I use the most. I have two others which are a Brother and a believe it or not a Montgomery Wards model 1957.  I don't use them at all. In fact I am looking to unload them.

Hope this helps.

Julienne, Mid MO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,395
Points 37,770
Linda replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 12:16 PM | Locked

I have one Craftsy class that i paid for and haven't done yet. I really need to find time to do it. I did listen to the introduction and the instructors voice about drove me up the wall. Now if I can get past that voice I can probably finish the class.

Yesterday I sandwished 2 quilts so they will be ready when my machine returns from the hospital again. The presser foot mechanism needs to be replaced so the presser foot will stay up. I need to get a king size batting for another quilt that is waiting to be quilted.

Next week is Amish Retreat and I hope to come home with 2 tops finished and ready for quilting. I also hope to have blocks finished to be sewn together into tops.

Today I'm making Grandson Joshua's train pillow case for his birthday. I already finished the pillow but need the pillow form.. I think I'll just order one and have sent to their house. They live in Calif.

Just got home from phys. therapy, need to grab some lunch and get back to the sewing room. Lots to do. Lots for Secret Santa so can't talk about it Shhhhh!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 12:51 PM | Locked

Well, everything went smoother with the quilting today....it is finished.  Not my greatest job (because of the thread and needle breakage in the beginning), but I am finished with the quilting, now just need to get the binding on.  Once I slowed down the quilting, the thread stopped breaking, so guess I need to pace myself a little better. That's 2 quilts quilted this month...I'm feeling good about that.  I need to dig some more out of the UFO pile and see if I can get them done, but I really, really want to play with the new Featherweight.  Maybe I'll load another one on the frame and as a reward allow myself to start a new one using the Featherweight...by that time, I should receive the new 1/4 inch foot for it.  I did test it and it works just great, I just don't have room to have 3 sewing machines set up (the embroidery machine, the Sapphire, and the Featherweight.  Actually 4, because there is a Viking MegaQuilter set up back on the frame.  

Someone on Facebook actually had the audacity to ask me how I planned to use all of my 6 sewing machines...obviously she isn't a quilter.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 25 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use