Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #8

Page 22 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 725
Points 14,125
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:16 PM | Locked

Patti, your crane quilt is beautiful! I really like the fabrics you chose for the crane. Very nice work!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:04 AM | Locked

winurse:

The binding would make me crazy.   Any helpful hints?

Firstly, Thank you to every one for your comments on my "flowers" mug rugs. That's as close to gardening as I get since I moved to the concrete jungle. It will take some time so you will all eventually wonder whether I do anything else. There's still at least 3 more dozen.

Now specifically to answer the question on the binding. For fiddly stuff like this I never cut it wider but keep it at 2". Other than that all I can say each one gets easier. The brute is in joining the two ends when all I have is 3" to do it in. When I first did the continuous binding joins I needed at least a foot total free to get a decent join. I think of anything I have shown and people have asked for instructions, hints, etc that it's too easy-peasy to bother on my part. I may be doing nothing radically different from any instructions I've seen but I have tweaked a few points that I have never read specifically in any instructions. So to give any real hints I will have to do an actual tutorial. I shall do so when I start binding the next grouping. It's on hold until I finish the binding on a throw. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:28 AM | Locked

Your crane is very nice Patti, is he going to live at your house or is he a gift? Great Job!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:30 AM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:

Spud, yes, I'll be quilting this. It's do-able but not much fun. This will be the third huge quilt I've done. They still don't match Nana's quiltzilla's! :-)

I guess I could send them out but it's expensive. I rather like the whole thing to be mine but, bottom line, if I could afford it these large quilts would probably go to the long armer.

I'm really in awe of you who can do these on your domestic machines, you are amazing. I agree with wanting the whole thing to be yours, I feel the same way when I make a quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:33 AM | Locked

Agnes:
I have Doz 2 of the Flower Mugs finished.

Very nice Agnes, you have been busy. They are very pretty.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:44 AM | Locked

Patti, your crane is awesome.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,578
Points 26,445
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 7:18 AM | Locked

Patti - crane is gorgeous!

Agnes - very cute, ow big is each one?

now I forgot who had the deer panel - need to write these names down just for 5 minutes to get on reply - please Lord, give me back my memory!  anyways, very nice!

and there was someone else but mind isn't retrieving that name but nice work to all the ladies who have shared.

I need to get busy bu just not in the mood, want more time, want to retire!  thinking now maybe 2 years, we'll see.  sounds better than 6 doesn't it?  I can hang on that long.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:16 AM | Locked

OMG!!!  i love your crane.  i have been collecting fabrics and ideas for a wall hanging with 2 cranes on it for years, but am intimidated. about starting cause i want them to look real and i don't want to mess up all the perfect fabric i have hunted.  yours is gorgeous and maybe enuf inspiration to open yet another ufo container......:). thank you!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:40 AM | Locked

Hi Agnes,   thanks ,   I will try making my binding a bit narrower.   This is probably a stupid  question but do you cut the binding on the bias?   I have also made mine square,  is it easier to have more sides?  I have never taken any quilting classes and honestly am not good at reading instructions all the way through.   So may have missed some of the fine points.     I sure appreciate all you wonderful ladies in this group!

Have a wonderful day

God Bless  Sharon

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:59 AM | Locked

Patti, I am so impressed by the applique work you have done on your crane.   It is beautiful.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:10 AM | Locked

Bonita, your MQ6 is very pretty, love the colors!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:13 AM | Locked

Judy beautiful quilt!  The fall colors are my favorite, you've done a wonderful job on it.  Good luck quilting it, looks like one of Nana's tents.  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

Agnes, your flower mug rugs are beautiful, nice job!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

After work this morning, I will go to a neighbor's house to sew.  We both started the Out of the Darkness Pam Bono block of the month years ago.  She started it about 4 years ago, I started mine 8-9 years ago.  We are both on block 4.  We will work on our blocks every Wednesday afternoon.

First task was to find my blocks.  Had to dig in my closet and found all the blocks not completed.  So where are the completed ones?  Found them about the 4th bin down in a stack behind a bunch of other stuff.  Where's the background fabric?  Found it.  I'd had that on the open shelf before discovering I had a mouse problem.  Washing it got out the mouse pee, but I will have to work around the little hole.  Found my angler tool I had been using with it.  Yeah!! I have it all together now. 

I have yet to finish any block of the month I have started.  I found most of them as I was searching for the Out of Darkness blocks.   I have 6 other unfinished BOM quilts.  And those are just the kits. 

Well, I am going to work on a quilt today, and I am going to finish these BOMs!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:16 AM | Locked

Marsha, your quilt is gorgeous!!

Millbury, MA

Page 22 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use